Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just picked up a 2013 Sante Fe 2.0T AWD and so far loving it.

The only small annoyance is that I hear some noise like styrofoam moving. The cargo storage dividers seems to be made of styrofoam but everything seems tight and the jack seems to be tight in place as well.

Anyone else noticing this?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Your SF probably suffers from that infamous rear quarter panel creak which several users here have reported, me included.

Hi guys,

The only small annoyance is that I hear some noise like styrofoam moving. The cargo storage dividers seems to be made of styrofoam but everything seems tight and the jack seems to be tight in place as well.

thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi guys,

thanks!
I've got it, too. Am going to see what I can stick back there to make it stop. That or take it out because I don't really see the point in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I heard the same noise in the rear of my 2014 SFS. It sounded like styrofoam skittering when I went over bumpy spots. I thought the rear compartment tray was made of plastic but it is made of styrofoam. So I took it out and now the car is quiet again.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I heard the same noise in the rear of my 2014 SFS. It sounded like styrofoam skittering when I went over bumpy spots. I thought the rear compartment tray was made of plastic but it is made of styrofoam. So I took it out and now the car is quiet again.
In the past it just had to be shifted or pushed in from the passenger side. Since you took it out you might want to be careful with the weight you concentrate back there, the styro gives a support structure for the cargo area bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the weight reminder. I might put it back and try to shift it like you suggested. I'll also try to put something in it to see if some weight quiets it down. It's a bit embarrassing to have a $30K+ car that sounds like you forgot to unwrap it properly. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is a known problem with the Santa Fe and the dealers are aware of it and have a fix.
You may hear it when you back up or turning the corner especially at low speeds.
The service adviser that was in my vehicle during a test drive for the squeaking dash problem noticed it and told me that it was a known problem.

Talk to your dealership get it taken care of.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Take the Styrofoam section out, loosen the two Philips screws on either side of each rear side trim panel, push the panel towards the wheel well a few millimeters and tighten the screws back down. I have had several weird noises on my SF from seat noise problems to panel problems and I fixed all of them myself easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've discovered that the styrofoam noise I was hearing is not from the styrofoam cargo tray at all. It went away when I put it back in, as long as the rear seats were folded DOWN. I had to fold them down to get the tray out.

The noise is caused by the rear seats and head rests vibrating when they're up. It seems to be less noticeable if I put the middle section down. They're cloth with a 40/20/40 split and it sounds just like styrofoam rubbing. Anyone else notice this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts