Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just bought a 09 sonata GLS travelled 54,000 km couple weeks ago. its my first car so dont really know much about cars. i was wondering how will i know when my car will need oil change or servicing? does a light come up or something? thanks in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
I change my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles. A light never comes on but if you get your oil changed once they usually give you a sticker that tells you when to get it changed again. As for servicing, the shop that changes your oil can usually help you with that. I have 27,000 miles on my 2009 Sonata and i haven't really had to service it yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (shadyinside @ May 17 2010, 11:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323869
hi guys i just bought a 09 sonata GLS travelled 54,000 km couple weeks ago. its my first car so dont really know much aboutvals cars. i was wondering how will i know when my car will need oil change or servicing? does a light come up or something? thanks in advance
No, Sonata has no oil light that tells you to change your oil. You just have to keep track of your miles. Most oil change places put a little reminder sticker on your windshield.
The manual says to change the oil every 7500 miles (12 000 kms), or 6 months, whichever comes first, under normal driving conditions. Under severe, it's advisable to change it every 3750 miles (6000 kms) or 3 months, whichever occurs first. For warranty purposes, you really do not wanna go longer than the above intervals.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (shadyinside @ May 17 2010, 11:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323869
hi guys i just bought a 09 sonata GLS travelled 54,000 km couple weeks ago. its my first car so dont really know much about cars. i was wondering how will i know when my car will need oil change or servicing? does a light come up or something? thanks in advance
Congratulations on your car, and welcome to Hyundai Forums!

I assume you checked for the owner's manual, and don't have one. It's terrible that people don't keep them with the car.

The good news is, you can download a PDF version here: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/sonata_owners_manuals.htm
You will find all the service intervals in it, plus all the basic user information.

If there is no sticker indicating when your oil was changed, or the seller doesn't know, I would do it now. At least check the
dip stick and see if the oil looks clean. If it's not sparkling clean, I would change it.

Enjoy the car, and enjoy the forum!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Shady,

Modern cars are built different than your father's Oldsmobile. Just ignore all the above. These posters are just trying to spend your money, money you could save for better things.

You don't need to change anything, just keep driving.

Eventually you will see some lights showing up on the panel. Ignore them, keep driving till your engine makes a loud noise and then the car will come to a stop by itself.

Then you know it's time to spend some money on servicing your car.

:00000732:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ May 18 2010, 08:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323981
Shady,

Modern cars are built different than your father's Oldsmobile. Just ignore all the above. These posters are just trying to spend your money, money you could save for better things.

Eventually you will see some lights showing up on the panel. Ignore them, keep driving till your engine makes a loud noise and then the car will come to a stop by itself.

:00000732:
You are in true form today Mama! It is sad that Shady buys a new Car, and knows nothing about Oil Changes. You had a 5 Year/ 100KM

Warranty that would have covered you through 2014. Now you have nothing, nada. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
He just bought the car so he hasn't done anything wrong. I would follow bobad's advice. If you don't know when the last oil change was done it's probably safest to change it now unless the oil looks like it's new. Then from that point on you just follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 18 2010, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323960
Congratulations on your car, and welcome to Hyundai Forums!

I assume you checked for the owner's manual, and don't have one. It's terrible that people don't keep them with the car.

The good news is, you can download a PDF version here: http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/sonata_owners_manuals.htm
You will find all the service intervals in it, plus all the basic user information.

Enjoy the car, and enjoy the forum!
This is perfect; I've been looking for a copy of the manual. Thanks Bobad! I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a few weeks now. Thanks to you guys, I'm now signing for my new-to-me 2009 tonight!

Hopefully I can contribute more to this board after I've gotten more acquianted with my new ride.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Shady,

You are in true form today Mama! It is sad that Shady buys a new Car, and knows nothing about Oil Changes. You had a 5 Year/ 100KM

Warranty that would have covered you through 2014. Now you have nothing, nada.

jerks lol

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (rallyman @ May 18 2010, 10:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324040
He just bought the car so he hasn't done anything wrong. I would follow bobad's advice. If you don't know when the last oil change was done it's probably safest to change it now unless the oil looks like it's new. Then from that point on you just follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
Now that is an answer I wouldn't expect from you Rally? In the U.S. we sign an agreement with Hyundai USA about the Warranty.

Before I owned a Car, I knew about the concept of Oil Changes & Maintenance. In fact on my Cross Country 4000 Mile Trip, I visited

two Hyundai Dealers for Service. One was an Oil Change & one for an Emergency Repair.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would change the oil every 10000 km and maybe twice that if you use a good synthetic oil - the oil filter should likewise be changed with the oil.

One biggie is the cabin air filter - it has to be changed once a year and they are not kidding around - that baby does get dirty. see some of the threads on the subject where pictures are posted.

The engine air filter should be changed perhaps every 30000-40000 km depending on how dusty your driving conditions are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys and i think it was serviced before i bought as i bought it from a used dealership. so il probably still service it in 5000 km instead of more for the first service just to be on the safe side. and when wud i knw when i need my full servicing?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Buying a car from a used-car dealership makes you believe they changed the oil before selling the car? Hmmmm..... I would not make such an assumption.... Maybe it would be more prudent to CHECK THE DIPSTICK, see the oil's color.... If it looks like cooking oil in the bottle, clear and nice, then you're good to go, but if it's BLACK or very dark brown, don't take chances, just take the car for an oil change.....

...And try to avoid those "quicky" oil change franchises which are notorious for all kinds of hanky-panky stuff.... take it a Hyundai dealership, or a reputable mechanic.... Owning a car means developing a RELATIONSHIP with your local trusted mechanic....

...I would also take the car to that mechanic for a general inspection, from your engine to transmission, to your tires and brakes........ just so that you know what you're driving, if any issues, better take care of them NOW, instead of waiting for a breakdown...

(Of course, I assume you're taking my previous post too seriously, Shady :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (shadyinside @ May 19 2010, 03:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324216
thanks guys and i think it was serviced before i bought as i bought it from a used dealership. so il probably still service it in 5000 km instead of more for the first service just to be on the safe side. and when wud i knw when i need my full servicing?
My previous post says about all you need to know as far as routine service.

BUT, if you persist in pursuing some sort of "full servicing", you can certainly get just that at just about any U.S. car dealer, although not in quite the way you might expect. Maybe things are different up north.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts