Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Elantra Ltd A/T
I feel a stumbling upon initial acceleration
You know when you are trying to cross a street and have to go in a hurry, I get a stumble or hesiitation. It is like the car is deciding for itself if it wants to go or not.
It is like a 1/2-1 second hesisitation. No matter if I am in Sport, Normal, or Eco.
I called my local dealer and they said it was normal....... My other cars never did this.

When in sport mode... say I am in 1st from a stop and go to 4500rpm and it shifts. It seems to jump from 1-3 faster than it should. When I look at the tach it is at 2000rpm in 3rd and seems to fall on its face in terms of acceleration. I am thinking that 4500 in 1st, 3000 rpm in 2nd, then into 3rd. It feels like a double shift.

Sorry if I am not explaining this well.

Is this a common problem?
Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Have you owned the car for a while and this is something new, or has it always had this condtion?

When you say stumbling, is there a lack of engine power as if it were starving for fuel, or are you describing an upshift followed by the engine churning against the tall gear ratio? The latter is normal behavior, especially in Eco mode. If you're unsure if it's an engine output issue or a shift pattern issue, move the lever sideways to the manual gate and shift 1-2 at 4500rpm and then hold 2nd with the pedal pressed down past half way and shift to 3rd at 4500rpm. If it's an engine output issue, the car will shudder/stumble as the revs build in 2nd and eventually 3rd.

Your description of the 1-2 shift at 4500rpm followed by the the 2-3 at 3000 and the drop to 2000rpm when it grabs 3rd sounds about right for the actual gear ratios for 1, 2 and 3. If you are lifting off the accelerator as the car gains speed, the computer will read the change in throttle position and upshift.

These Atkinson engines don't build up a full head of steam until you're over about 3k on the tach, so I suspect what you're describing is normal for the car. That's where the question of length of ownership comes in. This is something that you'd discover not long after purchasing the car, unless you're being gentle for the first thousand miles and then transitioning over to faster acceleration in typical driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20k on odo and 2nd owner

Not starving for fuel just lack of throttle response.

My old car, when you "nailed" it from the start, went immediately. This car seems to want to "think" about it for a second and then goes. This happens in "manual mode" or automatic. This is only from a stand still.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
My 2017 Limited was doing this at 5K miles, and this is what my spark plugs looked like even after cleaning, Black carbon embedded in the high voltage insulator shuns that spark to ground. Check your plugs for proper gap and torque, correct gap should be 25 miles, torque about 14 ft lbs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Those plugs look like they're running way cold.
When I looked for OEM H/K plugs for that car I couldn't find the pictured part #.
Maybe factory mistakenly put in colder plugs, like for turbo.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
20k on odo and 2nd owner

Not starving for fuel just lack of throttle response.

My old car, when you "nailed" it from the start, went immediately. This car seems to want to "think" about it for a second and then goes. This happens in "manual mode" or automatic. This is only from a stand still.
I experienced that recently. I got gas at station next to 4 way stoplight. After leaving gas station in Eco mode I had a car behind me and a flaming orange traffic light in front of me. I nailed it and nothing happened (seemed like an eternity) as I watched that light turn red. I do not experience that lag in Normal or Sport mode, but tend to not use full throttle.

Maybe over time the car will adapt to your driving style. Second is an issue like NicholasD is pointing out. Some people have had a coil go bad bad. I think if it were mine I would try a bottle of fuel cleaner like Techron to see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I experienced that recently. I got gas at station next to 4 way stoplight. After leaving gas station in Eco mode I had a car behind me and a flaming orange traffic light in front of me. I nailed it and nothing happened (seemed like an eternity) as I watched that light turn red. I do not experience that lag in Normal or Sport mode, but tend to not use full throttle.

Maybe over time the car will adapt to your driving style. Second is an issue like NicholasD is pointing out. Some people have had a coil go bad bad. I think if it were mine I would try a bottle of fuel cleaner like Techron to see if that helps.

Sounds like you paid $$$$ a gallon for water, quickly settles in the bottom of the tank and sent to the engine via the fuel pump.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2017 Elantra Ltd A/T
I feel a stumbling upon initial acceleration
You know when you are trying to cross a street and have to go in a hurry, I get a stumble or hesiitation. It is like the car is deciding for itself if it wants to go or not.
It is like a 1/2-1 second hesisitation. No matter if I am in Sport, Normal, or Eco.
I called my local dealer and they said it was normal....... My other cars never did this.

When in sport mode... say I am in 1st from a stop and go to 4500rpm and it shifts. It seems to jump from 1-3 faster than it should. When I look at the tach it is at 2000rpm in 3rd and seems to fall on its face in terms of acceleration. I am thinking that 4500 in 1st, 3000 rpm in 2nd, then into 3rd. It feels like a double shift.

Sorry if I am not explaining this well.

Is this a common problem?
Anyone else have this issue?
As far as the stumble/hesitation, I was getting that, scary at times! I realized I was trying to launch like I used to with a carbureted car by braking and bringing the engine revs up, so as to launch properly...it won't work that way anymore. The computer seemed confused that I was on the brake and trying to launch with the accelerator. If I take my foot completely off the brake just before nailing the accelerator, there's no bogging down.

Couldn't say about the transmission other than it's not like mine behaves...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my car into the dealer for oil change and asked them to reset the transmission computer. It seems that the transmission computer "learns" how you drive and adapts accordingly.
Whomever had my car before must have been a jackrabbit driver ( nails off line and then lets off gas for it to get to 3rd gear)

I dont drive like that. In city I tend to drive like I stole it to get away from idiots but on hwy I drive "normal"

Resetting the transmission computer helps. The dealer was nice enough not to charge me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts