Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I'd post this for those of you that live in snowy climates. After three years and 70k miles, I'm on my third set of tires. My first set of tires were the stock tires that came with the vehicle. They were good for three season use, but they were not good in the snow. I put a set of studded snow tires on and they worked great for two years. A few weeks ago I replaced my tires again. I was so pleased with the performance out of the last set of studded snow tires, that I bought another set. I highly recommend going with studded snow tires if you want to get the performance of an suv in snowy weather out of your Accent. I've owned several jeeps, and sub 12 inches of snow, the Accent with studded snow tires performs just as well as 4x4/ awd (so long as you don't mind plowing with your front bumper). I've driven the Accent several times in 10-14in snow, so I'm speaking from experience. I also keep a pair of snow chains in my trunk, but I've never had to use them. I've used these new tires in a few storms already, and they've performed flawlessly. Particularly, the studs really shine on black ice.

Anyway, here's a link to Tire Rack for the studded snow tires that'll fit the stock Accent blue rim. I'll post some pictures of the tires below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Winter&partnum=77TR4UGW&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Hyundai&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Accent%20Hatchback&autoModClar=Blue

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are some pics of the tires to give some perspective.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned several jeeps, and sub 12 inches of snow, the Accent with studded snow tires performs just as well as 4x4/ awd (so long as you don't mind plowing with your front bumper). I've driven the Accent several times in 10-14in snow, so I'm speaking from experience.

Calling BS on that right there ^^^ . I don't know what kind of "Jeeps" you owned but unless you are putting tank tracks on an Accent, it's not touching my Jeep in snow. Period.

and I'm speaking from experience as well.

It's all well and good to be happy with your purchase. Good for you. But spreading downright BS about traction in snow is going to be called what it is. A front wheel drive car will not ever have the traction of a 4x4 Jeep. Period.

I have the best snow/ice tires I could afford on my wife's 11 Accent. It works great. She has a daily commute along 75Km of this area's most dangerous highway. Weather changes every 5Km, snow, ice, rain, all of the above.

When we get any serious amount of snow, I drive her to work in my Jeep TJ because it's SAFER.

Congrats on your tire purchase. Happy for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Studs are legal here in Nova Scotia during certain months.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta would be the best you can do on a car in the winter, if you can afford that stuff. I can't.

We had a good bit of snow here last week. I drove the wife to work in my Jeep. 75Km trip, doing 60Km/h most of the way in 4 high. White out conditions at 6am, dark. It was bad.
But yet there was a number of little snow covered cars who's drivers thought they were supermen, passing everyone on the highway at double that speed. These are the kind of people I will pass right by and laugh when I find them in the ditch.

Then I see threads like this... just wow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmmm....usually the folks I see in the ditch are 4wds driven by the people who think they are immune to winter conditions. Anyways....to the op: thanks for your review of those tires. I just put a set (unstudded, though) on my Accent two weeks ago. Haven't run in snow yet, but nice to know that others have had success with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Studded always seemed a little extreme to me, but occasionally we do get mixed precipitation that makes things icy. Once tried getting to work and they actually shut down the main route, even with decent non-studded snows I was losing traction a bit. CT DMV allows studded tires between "November 15 and April 30".

Anyways, I think they look good. Kinda surprised the first set only lasted 2 seasons. Were they the same make & model?

BTW, did you have 'em mounted & balanced at Zeller? I usually like going with the Town Fair Guys. Oh yeah, I ask cuz I noticed your one town up from me :D It's a small world I guess.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like your choice of cars :grin:, but the Jeep comparison is a stretch...I also owned a '96 Cherokee.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Accent is like a large ATV right?

Maybe modify the wheel wells and fenders a bit and we could fit these under there :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Calling BS on that right there ^^^ . I don't know what kind of "Jeeps" you owned but unless you are putting tank tracks on an Accent, it's not touching my Jeep in snow. Period.

It's all well and good to be happy with your purchase. Good for you. But spreading downright BS about traction in snow is going to be called what it is. A front wheel drive car will not ever have the traction of a 4x4 Jeep. Period.

I have the best snow/ice tires I could afford on my wife's 11 Accent. It works great. She has a daily commute along 75Km of this area's most dangerous highway. Weather changes every 5Km, snow, ice, rain, all of the above.

When we get any serious amount of snow, I drive her to work in my Jeep TJ because it's SAFER.

Thanks! I own a Grand Cherokee V8 with awd and some all season tires.

I've previously owned:

a 5sp wrangler YJ with 30 in Goodyear ATs.
A Cherokee XJ with a 3 in lift and 31 inch BF Goodrich MTs.
I've also spent a lot of time driving a pathfinder and a ford F-150.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't forget that studs are illegal in may areas due to the wear they cause on the road. if you care.
Thanks, I read the relevant statute before my first purchase. However, I didn't care enough to take them off after the season ended, since the first citation was statutorily limited to a "warning." I gambled and won in that department, but unfortunately I smoked though those tires in two years as a result.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Studs are legal here in Nova Scotia during certain months.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta would be the best you can do on a car in the winter, if you can afford that stuff. I can't.

We had a good bit of snow here last week. I drove the wife to work in my Jeep. 75Km trip, doing 60Km/h most of the way in 4 high. White out conditions at 6am, dark. It was bad.
But yet there was a number of little snow covered cars who's drivers thought they were supermen, passing everyone on the highway at double that speed. These are the kind of people I will pass right by and laugh when I find them in the ditch.

Then I see threads like this... just wow.
I've passed many such cars and similarly driven suvs and trucks myself. Good equipment is no substitute for ability...

I guess what people such as yourself misunderstand is both the capability of studded snow tires as well as the predictability of a fwd car in the snow, when driven by a skilled driver. Fwd cars are very predictable when you "lose it" in the snow, provided of course, you know what you're doing. Judging by the fact that you were "wow[ed]" by this post, I take it you haven't experienced the capability of your accent with studded snow tires.

I'll have to look into the Nokian Hakkapeliitta next time I purchase snow tires. The Goodyear tires were the only studded tire available at the tire shop that use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like your choice of cars :grin:, but the Jeep comparison is a stretch...I also owned a '96 Cherokee.
Thanks, likewise. I got caught in 2 inches of snow in my Z earlier this year, and it was easily the least fun drive I've ever had. Ever get caught out in the snow in your Z?

Love the XJ!! Yea, it could be a bit of a stretch considering the outstanding capability of Jeeps, but given the inability of many 4x4 drivers, I think the comparison holds.

Reactions: escapefoot

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe modify the wheel wells and fenders a bit and we could fit these under there :p
With a little suspension modification and bodywork...lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've passed many such cars and similarly driven suvs and trucks myself. Good equipment is no substitute for ability...

I guess what people such as yourself misunderstand is both the capability of studded snow tires as well as the predictability of a fwd car in the snow, when driven by a skilled driver. Fwd cars are very predictable when you "lose it" in the snow, provided of course, you know what you're doing. Judging by the fact that you were "wow[ed]" by this post, well, you can connect the dots.

I'll have to look into the Nokian Hakkapeliitta next time I purchase snow tires. The Goodyear tires were the only studded tire available at the tire shop that use.

"People such as myself" will stand by their original assessment that you don't know what you are talking about. I'm some glad you don't live anywhere near me so I don't have to witness your skilled driving firsthand.

People such as yourself are a danger to everyone else on the highway.

Merry xmas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Cite my post above for a list of my "Jeeps" lol. You're not speaking from experience unless of course you've driven both "jeeps" and an accent with studded snow tires, but you got half the comparison right. I'm never one to stand by my own junk just because I bought it. I'm raving about studded snow tires because I'm really that impressed with their capability.

I agree though, your wife is probably safer in the passenger seat with you behind the wheel of your jeep than she would be on her own with good non-studded tires in the snow. As I mentioned above, good equipment is a poor substitute for lack of ability.

I do miss the "jeep wave" though--wrangler drivers are the only jeep drivers that seem to consistently respect that ritual.

Reactions: escapefoot

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like my winter tires. But here's some studded tires....
Is it just me, or do those look like the tires used on the bond villan's s2000 in Die Another Day?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.