Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my first weird question. Any ideas why the rear, driver's side 'seatback' would be 'stuck'? I press in the lever to adjust it, and I hear a mild 'click', but the seatback doesn't move at all. The passenger side rear seatback will recline and fold forward as it should when I push the lever. Is this something that should be easy to fix?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Ok, my first weird question. Any ideas why the rear, driver's side 'seatback' would be 'stuck'? I press in the lever to adjust it, and I hear a mild 'click', but the seatback doesn't move at all. The passenger side rear seatback will recline and fold forward as it should when I push the lever. Is this something that should be easy to fix?
More pressure on the lever and give a good pull on the seat. They get a little hung up. This should get it to move without hurting anything. You may want to check the lever mechanism .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it felt pretty solid when I tried earlier, but I'll give it another shot. If it can't budge it, would that be a body shop or just a mechanic who needs to check it out?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Thanks, it felt pretty solid when I tried earlier, but I'll give it another shot. If it can't budge it, would that be a body shop or just a mechanic who needs to check it out?
I would think a lady such as you can find some man that can do this for you. May need to get into the trunk to release it and see what it's hanging up on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't even think of an appropriate response to that comment. I guess you've never seen female mechanics? I guess I will look into removing the rear seat, but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: If anyone else has this issue, it was a really easy fix. I had to completely remove the affected rear seat (4 bolts, 14mm) and that was pretty easy except one of the bolts was kind of down in a hole and really hard to get loose, so be sure you have a nice strong socket wrench, an extension arm and a swivel connector. Once I got the seat out, I just removed the two plastic side covers (they are called 'ratchet covers'), one phillips-head screw each, and I was able to see where the latch cable connected to the pulley. One of them had come loose because some kid had crammed SO much trash down into there, it was really disgusting, but I cleaned it out and reattached the cable and boom! All fixed!! :D

Somehow, as a 'lady', I managed to fix it all by myself without having to get 'some man' to do it for me. ;)

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Update: If anyone else has this issue, it was a really easy fix. I had to completely remove the affected rear seat (4 bolts, 14mm) and that was pretty easy except one of the bolts was kind of down in a hole and really hard to get loose, so be sure you have a nice strong socket wrench, an extension arm and a swivel connector. Once I got the seat out, I just removed the two plastic side covers (they are called 'ratchet covers'), one phillips-head screw each, and I was able to see where the latch cable connected to the pulley. One of them had come loose because some kid had crammed SO much trash down into there, it was really disgusting, but I cleaned it out and reattached the cable and boom! All fixed!! :D

Somehow, as a 'lady', I managed to fix it all by myself without having to get 'some man' to do it for me. ;)
I wasn't trying to be sexist. I had no idea you owned tools and knew how to use them. If you were a man I probably would have suggested removing the seat. Forgive me for not thinking about you in the same way I would a man. I suppose I'm still a bit old fashioned. I tend to treat women differently than men.I had a 'lady' who worked for me for over 15 years and she could pull motors, trannys and do most anything the 'men' could do but she was every bit a lady and liked being treated as such. Us 'men' opened doors for her and talked to her differently than we did to each other and she respected that. I had no idea you were like her in being able to work with your hands but unlike her she enjoyed having a 'man' do things for her.

I really didn't mean to demean you.

I'm Sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't trying to be sexist. I had no idea you owned tools and knew how to use them. If you were a man I probably would have suggested removing the seat. Forgive me for not thinking about you in the same way I would a man. I suppose I'm still a bit old fashioned. I tend to treat women differently than men.I had a 'lady' who worked for me for over 15 years and she could pull motors, trannys and do most anything the 'men' could do but she was every bit a lady and liked being treated as such. Us 'men' opened doors for her and talked to her differently than we did to each other and she respected that. I had no idea you were like her in being able to work with your hands but unlike her she enjoyed having a 'man' do things for her.

I really didn't mean to demean you.

I'm Sorry.
Thank you, Sir. It's a long road for some of us to learn not to make assumptions about others based on gender and such. I own and run a computer repair shop, so I'm already pretty 'handy', I just haven't had much experience working on vehicles. I was pretty proud of myself for saving money and repairing that issue myself, without really any guidance (I couldn't find any instructions online). I will say that I'm still a bit sore from the work, because lugging that big heavy seat around was more than I'm used to. :laughing: I hope my thread helps someone else with a similar problem in the future.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Usual complaint with the rear seat back is they wont hold position and "ZIP" sound moving as they skip along..

Used to replace the retractors at left and right seat backs yrs ago.. I think Hyundai' word for the part is "RECLINER"

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Thank you, Sir. It's a long road for some of us to learn not to make assumptions about others based on gender and such. I own and run a computer repair shop, so I'm already pretty 'handy', I just haven't had much experience working on vehicles. I was pretty proud of myself for saving money and repairing that issue myself, without really any guidance (I couldn't find any instructions online). I will say that I'm still a bit sore from the work, because lugging that big heavy seat around was more than I'm used to. :laughing: I hope my thread helps someone else with a similar problem in the future.
I'm sure your post will help anyone with a similar problem.
I was making another assumption when looking at your user name that you may be a computer 'nerd'. Maybe you'll become the next 'computer goddess' aka Kim Komando. Ever try doing radio? :smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure your post will help anyone with a similar problem.
I was making another assumption when looking at your user name that you may be a computer 'nerd'. Maybe you'll become the next 'computer goddess' aka Kim Komando. Ever try doing radio? :smile:
I've heard Kim Komando before, she's good. Sadly, I doubt I would be good at radio. I'm not much of one for running my mouth, never had the gift of gab. I'm much more at home just fixing thing. ;)

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I've heard Kim Komando before, she's good. Sadly, I doubt I would be good at radio. I'm not much of one for running my mouth, never had the gift of gab. I'm much more at home just fixing thing. ;)
I know Kim Komando is called the 'digital goddess' which is why I suggested computer goddess. As a syndicated radio host I'm sure her 'handle' is trademarked.

We should get along well. They say opposites attract. I tend to run my mouth all to much.....maybe I should do radio......I could be the new 'click and clack' car guys. Have you ever heard of them? Not sure they are still around.
At any rate, I look forward to our distance relationship. I'm going to help you with the ABS/TCS problem you are having.....I'm no slouch at PC tech stuff but there may be a time I have a problem that needs an extra set of eyes. Our friend sbr711 looked up your website and shared it with me in a PM. I may need your help at some point. :smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know Kim Komando is called the 'digital goddess' which is why I suggested computer goddess. As a syndicated radio host I'm sure her 'handle' is trademarked.

We should get along well. They say opposites attract. I tend to run my mouth all to much.....maybe I should do radio......I could be the new 'click and clack' car guys. Have you ever heard of them? Not sure they are still around.
At any rate, I look forward to our distance relationship. I'm going to help you with the ABS/TCS problem you are having.....I'm no slouch at PC tech stuff but there may be a time I have a problem that needs an extra set of eyes. Our friend sbr711 looked up your website and shared it with me in a PM. I may need your help at some point. :smile:
I LOVED 'Click and Clack'! That show was great. Let me know if you make it the 'big times' and of course, I will do the same. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts