Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Sonata 2013 Hybrid Limited owner here. Just today I drove 5 miles, parked and the car would not shut off. It's like it was stuck in accessory mode. Pressing the start button didn't seem to do anything.

After I got back in the car to take off to my next destination I couldn't get the car to start or move. Again its like it was stuck in accessory mode. I pressed the start button on and off half a dozen times before I finally managed to get the car into its normal full running and driving mode.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some method to get out of the accessory mode such as hitting the button twice quickly or holding it in for a few seconds? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok now that we got that out of the way I'm totally stumped. If it's new and you're able to reproduce the problem pretty frequently I would take it to the dealer. Even if you didn't get it from hyundai you should still be covered under factory warranty

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I found this on another forum for the 11-12 non-hybrid Sonata. Maybe it will help. There might also be a procedure in the manual for bypassing a defective brake switch if that is the problem:

"Here is how you can start you car without pressing the brake pedal:

First take your foot off the brake pedal. Next push the start button one time. Then press and hold the start button again for roughly 10-20 seconds. The car will then start.

Important thing to remember is you WILL have brakes....but you WILL NOT have brake lights if the switch is malfunctioning. "

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Battery in the FOB ? Do you see a KEY in the car icon on the dash ?

If you just got this (used)... it's back to the dealer that sold it to you time.

Could be the neutral safety switch (they call it something else).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to take note of the exact situation if this happens again.

I didn't buy the car from a dealer. I bought it private party with some minor body damage, not from an accident, but from an elderly gentlemen scraping the car on the side of their garage door a couple times. Actually the nearest Hyundai dealership is 65 miles away. I got the car for a great deal about 4K under "very good" private party blue book price because of this damage, which I've already repaired most of it with new, used oem hyundai body parts costing me $600.

Also, as far as I know, the factory warranty is over now. It's 5 years old has 67K miles. The 10 year 100,000 mile warranty only applies to the original owner as far as I know.

But in California anyways, the Lifetime hybrid system warranty is not lifetime but I think is like either 100,000 or 150,000 miles for the non-original owner.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you haven't done so yet, create an account on hyundai.com - upper right corner next to the Search field click on My Hyundai. .

At the very bottom of the page find the column Caring For Your Car (second from right) and click on Safety Recalls. Enter your VIN and it will show you that list.

You also may be able to do it directly from this link: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you haven't done so yet, create an account on hyundai.com - upper right corner next to the Search field click on My Hyundai. .

At the very bottom of the page find the column Caring For Your Car (second from right) and click on Safety Recalls. Enter your VIN and it will show you that list.

You also may be able to do it directly from this link: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
I tried a while ago, but it said I can't because the car is already registered. I guess I'd have to supply them with proof of ownership documentation.

The only open recall that I'm aware of is the seat belt thing, where 99% of the time they just inspect it and send you on your way. Only 1% of the time do they do anything.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The only open recall that I'm aware of is the seat belt thing, where 99% of the time they just inspect it and send you on your way. Only 1% of the time do they do anything.
They actually put a sticker on the seatbelt near the floor to tell you to periodically check the screw that is in there to make sure it looks like the picture on the sticker. The sticker covers up the nice cloth type tape that was there and now makes more noise when it rubs against the plastic :(. Worse than looking at it and sending you on your way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can you just contact the former owner and ask for the password ?
The former owner is no longer alive.

-----------------------

Well, the problem keeps happening regularly. Basically when I go to start the car a percentage of the time, maybe 10-20% of the time the car's displays and stuff will turn on, the fans will turn on, even the backup camera will work, but the car doesn't actually drive.

Today when the problem happened, I noticed two things on the dash "EPS" and a key icon appeared.

After pressing the start button a couple times I was able to get the car to start and drive off no problem. But this is a strange/annoying issue and I'm not sure what the cause is.

Here is a picture of my dash with the EPS and key lock light:

I did some research and EPS is electronic power steering. Then the other key icon is the Immobilizer Indicator light. It was lit solid which should mean the key is detected and the car is ready to start. It did not blink or did not turn off after 2 seconds, indicating a possible problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After doing some research I think I might have found the problem and possible solution. I found this: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t44015_ds555306

Switch-Inhibitor ("42700R00 Switch Assy-Transmission Range")

Seems to be the part that goes bad. I think its some transmission or parking type sensor that is goofing up sometimes and doesn't think the car is in park or something and so it won't allow the car to start.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
As I said in post #6, neutral safety switch or whatever they call it. Wiggle the parking lever (front - back hard, then try) if it starts right up...

I used to say put it in neutral.. but can't do that in modern cars. There should be a code that is recorded if you try to start, and it fails.

As for the password... have to come to Asbury Park, NJ... ask for Madam Marie ! Bruce Springsteen says she's really good. . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can anyone provide a diagram of where the switch is located? I just want to make sure I can gain easy access to it to replace it myself before I take on the task. I found a video of a 2013 elantra and it was right below the air box. Also, I could order the part online, but one option may be to get it from a Kia dealer. It appears to be the same part, right? Nearest Hyundai dealer is 70 miles away.

I'm guessing the dealer will try to quote me a rip off price, but I guess I could ask them to match the online price or I'll just order online.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I said in post #6, neutral safety switch or whatever they call it. Wiggle the parking lever (front - back hard, then try) if it starts right up...

I used to say put it in neutral.. but can't do that in modern cars. There should be a code that is recorded if you try to start, and it fails.

As for the password... have to come to Asbury Park, NJ... ask for Madam Marie ! Bruce Springsteen says she's really good. . .
I'm having second thoughts about what the problem is. If the problem is the imobalizer / neutral safety switch then why today when I had a problem with it starting was I able to just hit the start button a second time in order to drive the car?

I started the car, or tried too, notice the "EV" light was not on, and when that happens the car will not drive. Hit start again and it was able to drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts