Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Sonata 2.4 Limited and my son hit a curb bending the strut, I bought a used strut on Ebay already loaded and when I went to replace it the swaybar tab was in a different place, mine is up high the ebay one was near the mounting bolts, I want to order the correct struts and I am not sure If I have the Sport or regular suspension my vin is 5npec4ac4ch415035.

·
Banned
7,037 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata 2.4 Limited and my son hit a curb bending the strut, I bought a used strut on Ebay already loaded and when I went to replace it the swaybar tab was in a different place, mine is up high the ebay one was near the mounting bolts, I want to order the correct struts and I am not sure If I have the Sport or regular suspension my vin is 5npec4ac4ch415035.
If he hit the curb that hard you're probably going to need to replace the hub as well. I'd bet it's bent.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already replaced the Control arm and ball joint as well as the Spindle with hub, the strut is visibly bent and replacing those parts changed nothing.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I seem to remember a few threads from other early YF owners asking about strut fitment issues.
An advanced search may turn up some useful information for you.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
As per lookup by VIN:

54651-3Q625 - Left side
54661-3Q625 - Right side

Got the vin from the doner car?

a 2.4 limited should have Regular suspension (not sport)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about aftermarket? is it possible to put on the sport suspension ones by switching the swaybar links?

·
Registered
219 Posts
As per lookup by VIN:

54651-3Q625 - Left side
54661-3Q625 - Right side

Got the vin from the doner car?

a 2.4 limited should have Regular suspension (not sport)
i have a 12 2.4 limited. everything i can tell so far suggests i have sport suspension and cannot for the life of me find a direct fit aftermarket front strut assembly. problem is that dealer near me gave same part# for front struts as you did. any ideas on what i may be missing?

·
Registered
283 Posts
i have a 2011 Sonata GLS and the shop (independent) told me I have a sport suspension when I had my lower control arm and sway bar links replaced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i finally found the loaded struts on partsgeek .. unity automotive #11771 left and 11772 right..
2012 limited 2.4 definitely does come with "sport suspension" as an option..

·
Registered
166 Posts
i finally found the loaded struts on partsgeek .. unity automotive #11771 left and 11772 right..
How is this UNITY brand of strut assemblies performing after a few months of use ?

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you can't return the new strut, just move the stabilizer link mount on the new strut to a better place.
Cut it off and reweld it at the end of the link.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How is this UNITY brand of strut assemblies performing after a few months of use ?
they seems fine so far. i dont really notice a huge difference but they definitely corrected the uneven tread wear i was trying to fix to begin with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the same one for my 2011 SE built after July 2010. They fit, but 2 days down the line the whole car started performing as if they weren't sporty suspension. Too much sway, very soft on holes. I returned them as defective. I checked everywhere online, I found duralo but checked the reviews on YouTube from a VW guy who stated they weren't the right height and they were soft. And quickstrust is just terrible anyways. My dealer gave me RF 54661-3Q710 supersedes to 54661-3Q711..

54651-3Q711 LF and yes they are no where to be found but OEM at$200 plus for the strut only. I am still using my stock but I must get them replaced cuz car becoming like a boat.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,789 Posts
It will be less expensive then OEM to go with a coilover set and replace all 4. Or if your willing to lower the car 1" use TruHart Performance shocks and struts they are < $300 for the set and a set of 1" lowering springs can be purchased for < than $160 so total cost around $400 for all new struts and shocks.

Ive been using that setup for 40,000 miles now and the 1" lower really doesnt cause any rubbing or scraping anywhere. The overall handling is improved over stock IMO.

I did not have plans to lower my car but when my OEM struts started to leak and I saw the price for replacement OEM "sport struts" and really no aftermarket options for the LF Sonata. It was less $ and an improvement to go with Truharts and springs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It will be less expensive then OEM to go with a coilover set and replace all 4. Or if your willing to lower the car 1" use TruHart Performance shocks and struts they are < $300 for the set and a set of 1" lowering springs can be purchased for < than $160 so total cost around $400 for all new struts and shocks.

Ive been using that setup for 40,000 miles now and the 1" lower really doesnt cause any rubbing or scraping anywhere. The overall handling is improved over stock IMO.

I did not have plans to lower my car but when my OEM struts started to leak and I saw the price for replacement OEM "sport struts" and really no aftermarket options for the LF Sonata. It was less $ and an improvement to go with Truharts and springs.
I was looking into the KYB struts parts FR KYB 3340102 and FL KYB 3340103 indicates 2011 Sonata year built from 7/26/2010 to 6/1/2011, and from what I see in the picture the staiblizer link mount is a match to mine, which is on the opposite side of the knuckle bolts pointing towards the engine. Unlike the ones manufactured before 07/26/2010 which sets at a 45 degree angle. I just want to have someone confirming to me that they are sporty. I hate boat riding, and perhaps someone who has used them before. I am getting desperate. I cant feel safe seeing the traction light blinking every curve on the highway.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,789 Posts
@xaran Thank you very much. Could you provide me with the exact part number? Thank you
This is from the Truhart website, but they are available on ebay and amazon for less $ and full warranty Sport Shocks #TH-K501

There are many brands of lowering springs but in my case I wanted the least amount possible so I used God Speed Springs also available on Ebay, Amazon and other on line stores. They lower 1.1"

They were an improvement over my OEM Sport suspension, flatter cornering and less brake dive. But the overall ride remained very comfortable, not to firm

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is from the Truhart website, but they are available on ebay and amazon for less $ and full warranty Sport Shocks #TH-K501

There are many brands of lowering springs but in my case I wanted the least amount possible so I used God Speed Springs also available on Ebay, Amazon and other on line stores. They lower 1.1"

They were an improvement over my OEM Sport suspension, flatter cornering and less brake dive. But the overall ride remained very comfortable, not to firm
I am starting to get very curious to try them. How did you manage to figure out the staiblizer link ? Is your sway bar setup in front of the axle with ends pointing toward the front of the car? Or is it behind the axle?
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great news to the 2011 Hyundai owners built after 07/26/2010. I just spoke to KYB and they are releasing a complete loaded strut in the 3rd quarter of this year 2021. Part number is SR4615 SR4614. Too bad I have to wait that long. I am going to try to get the struts for now and transfer coils and replace the the mount plate on top and let you know the results. I read that generally the KYB is stiffer than monroe which doesnt make front struts for any sonata built after 07/26/2010, and when I asked KYB over the phone whether they are sport suspension or not they stated they work on all models, I am assuming they found a way to meet both (tightening the soft ones and loosening the tight one a little) as for the available parts now they run at about $112 a piece on shockwarehouse.com and the OE coils work with them I would suggest to get new coils since probably the old ones are broken down after many years under stress. Look for part#
KYB 3340102 and KYB 3340103 Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts