Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Azera is in need of shocks and struts. I currently have Monroes all around, but I am done with them. I am on my second set in a span of 6 years and already need to replace them - again.

I am on RockAuto and they are offering KYB and Gabriels. The pricing is as follows:

KYB struts: $62.79 each
KYB shocks: $51.79 each
Total: $228

Gabriel struts: $38.89 each
Gabriel shocks: $24.79 each
Total: $127

The difference is $100. Are the KYBs worth the extra money? Both have lifetime warranty.

I have 203k miles on the car and still running strong (just needs some minor work). I plan on keeping the car for as long as I can. I just want a comfortable ride that will last a while.

What do you all recommend? What do you guys have experience with?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

I appreciate all of your replies. I am posting a follow up for future reference in case if anyone comes in here looking for some guidance like I was. You guys definitely helped me make my decision.

I ordered the following from RockAuto:

1. KYB shocks
2. KYB struts
3. MOOG strut mounts
4. MOOG shock mounts (current ones are original)
5. MOOG strut bellows with bumper
6. MOOG shock bellows with bumper
7. Proforged sway bar links with bushings (current sway bar links are shot)

I order MOOG strut and shock mounts for two reasons. First, I've done research online and found that KYB mounts are inferior to their counterparts. Second, I already have MOOG strut mounts installed and have lifetime warranty them.

I was very close to ordering Gabriels because of their pricing and lifetime warranty. But, because of KYB's reputation and because they're OEM suppliers, it made my decision to choose KYB over Gabriel a bit easier.

I'm getting them installed this weekend. I will post another follow up once I do.

I am also thinking of replacing springs, but it's hard to find stock springs for the Azera. I haven't called the dealer yet, but I have a feeling it will be expensive.

Any suggestions on what I should do? The car has 204k miles and I'm sure they need to be changed.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
UPDATE:

I appreciate all of your replies. I am posting a follow up for future reference in case if anyone comes in here looking for some guidance like I was. You guys definitely helped me make my decision.

I ordered the following from RockAuto:

1. KYB shocks
2. KYB struts
3. MOOG strut mounts
4. MOOG shock mounts (current ones are original)
5. MOOG strut bellows with bumper
6. MOOG shock bellows with bumper
7. Proforged sway bar links with bushings (current sway bar links are shot)

I order MOOG strut and shock mounts for two reasons. First, I've done research online and found that KYB mounts are inferior to their counterparts. Second, I already have MOOG strut mounts installed and have lifetime warranty them.

I was very close to ordering Gabriels because of their pricing and lifetime warranty. But, because of KYB's reputation and because they're OEM suppliers, it made my decision to choose KYB over Gabriel a bit easier.

I'm getting them installed this weekend. I will post another follow up once I do.

I am also thinking of replacing springs, but it's hard to find stock springs for the Azera. I haven't called the dealer yet, but I have a feeling it will be expensive.

Any suggestions on what I should do? The car has 204k miles and I'm sure they need to be changed.

Thanks for reading!

If it were a Toyota I would replace the springs...if the ride is somewhat smooth you should be OK. At this "age", I would check the bushings. Worn bushings cause more bumps and groans than springs.

BTW, the KYB shocks are STIFF! I like them because of the increase in handling, but my kidneys sure don't thank me! ;)

Addendum: I'm not sure what type of suspension this car has. If it is a straight MacPearson strut the top mounts are a good idea. If it is a double-wishbone (A-arms at top and bottom) you want to check bushing play. Chances are it only has an a-arm at the bottom, but sometimes on the higher-end cars they have them top and bottom.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol man, they're THAT stiff? How do some automakers get away with using KYBs?! Now I'm questioning whether or not I made the right decision.

Which bushings are you talking about? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
It all depends on the ones you buy. If their just a std replacement they might be a little firmer than OE because most aftermarket shocks are a 50/50 damper and that makes the car a little firmer but much better handling. Insulators? Most times they are OK to reuse but if their cheap why not because it's going to be a lot of work to do it later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts