Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Count yourselves lucky you are not in Australia ... I got a price for a set of genuine front and rear struts from my local Hyundai dealer for my 2011 i45/Sonata .... $2000 parts only !

For the record I ended up getting the Truhart struts and Eibach springs for mine ... hated it !

The ride was absolutely terrible, it was extremely harsh and bouncy and the handling was just appalling ! .... the car pulled all over the road and was very hard to keep in a straight line, I had to concentrate constantly and found the car quite dangerous to drive to be honest ... and yes, I had it wheel aligned numerous times to try and fix it, but it was just like that, nothing could be done with it ... I was not happy with the setup at all ... would not recommend them to anyone.

Registered
If these shocks have become unavailable on the aftermarket its possible to modify the shock that is available to become the hybrid one. I think only one of the stabilizer link brackets has been moved to another place on the strut. Any decent garage can move the poorly placed bracket to the needed location. Cut and reweld. Rockauto had some "ultra cheap" struts by Sensun. I used them on the Volvo with acceptable results.
There maybe an alternative! Play with the length of the stabilizer link and make it fit. They are only $20 each. 馃殫Merry Christmas!馃殫

Registered
I just checked out Ebay. Shipped from the USA , hybrid $109, 2.0T sells for $60.
All you need is an adjustable sway bar link.

Stock 2011-2012's have the sway link mount behind the shock as pictured below.

2013+ have the sway link bar pretty much vertical as the mount has changed positions.

The stock 2011-2012's have a sway link bar that is rotated 90 degrees, the 2013+ have a sway link bar that is rotated 180 degrees.

An adjustable sway bar link resolves the issue. Picture of my 2012 with coilovers and massive adjustable sway bar links (coilovers have the mount in the same location for the 2013-2014 models.

Registered
I am still looking for an alternative solution for my planned strut replacement for my 2012 GLS with sport suspension, production date is June 28, 2011. Local dealer gave me the part number for my VIN. Driver side is 54651-3Q620 while passenger side is 54661-3Q620. Each will cost around CA$258 each. I just wished that someone had an experience using a KYB struts with compatible stabilizer bar link.

A few months ago, I replaced my both front stabilizer bar link using an OEM part from a seller in Korea. I had the chance to take some photos to serve as reference. I kept the old part so when time comes to purchase some struts, I have something to refer to. IMG_20190621_135217843.jpg IMG_20190621_152704288.jpg

Registered
Just wanted to give an update if someone is searching online and sees this post. If you have the 2011 Sonanta with the sport suspension, you can use the Monroe quick struts 172585 and 172586. You just need to switch out the front sway bar links. We found Moog #k750155 fit perfectly. The sockets are 180 degrees from each other, and fit perfectly.
It took me almost an hour of searching for the perfect link and have not seen an answer to this problem. I hope this helps someone like it did me.
Thanks for the advice.

I went this route but found that when turning hard, the sway bar link hits the strut tower. How did you get around this problem?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts