Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited (sport suspension) and it appears that the only struts offered (autozone, advanced auto, etc.) are those designed for cars produced prior to 7/2010.

Per the dealer, the correct strut is part#
54651-3Q611 (Left)
54661-3Q611 (Right)

and the cheapest I can find them are $160 each online.

Does anybody know of a quality aftermarket Strut available?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Keep looking. I found them for $75 USD on line. Something like carparts.com.
Maybe Rockauto.com has them by now. Munroe makes them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited (sport suspension) and it appears that the only struts offered (autozone, advanced auto, etc.) are those designed for cars produced prior to 7/2010.

Per the dealer, the correct strut is part#
54651-3Q611 (Left)
54661-3Q611 (Right)

and the cheapest I can find them are $160 each online.

Does anybody know of a quality aftermarket Strut available?
Just go truhart and get some springs and drop it in the process. you can replace all 4 corners that way cheaper than going with stick height struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonata73,
The problem is.... MONROE does NOT make replacement struts for this car! I have attempted to order a pair and they did not fit! I spoke with Jack, an engineer at Monroe who acknowledged they do not make a replacement part for this version of the sonata. Monroe's only fit the standard GLS/stock suspension but evidently not the sport suspension.

Thus.... anyone have a solid idea on how to replace Hyundai Part No.: 54661-3Q610 and 54561-3Q610????

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Its either OE struts or boutique brand.
Not all of us want truharts or a lowrider.
The popular name brand shock/strut companies haven't manufactured replacements yet.

It is what it is and <$200 per strut delivered is about as good as its going to be for a new OE front strut. Don't forget to get the extras to go with the strut(boots/bearings...).

My Sonata has a 2011 birth date and it is sad that the only option for these pothole, poorly graded, and speed bump ridden roads is the OE strut, which didn't last 50k miles.

Kyb/monroe/.... make rear shocks which I will use when the time comes.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/truhart-shocks-struts-combo
TruHart- Camber Kits, Bushings, Control Arms, Performance Shocks, Springs

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Isn't the big issue that the sway bar mount is like 90 or 180 degrees off? Is there something else? If that's the biggest issue I am not understanding why the Monroes of the world are not producing that. I would think there are WAY more copies after 7/20/2010 than before meaning there would be more market opportunities. Wish we knew why this situation is the way it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2012 GLS (built before July 2011) and KYB does not have the struts for the same year of 2012. The only thing that I have observed based from the KYB's on-line pictures for 2011 and 2013 are the mounting points for the sway bar link and abs & brake hose mounting point/holes. Should you change your struts using these year models, you have to replace too the sway bar link.

My big question now is will the 2011 and 2013 GLS's Struts be direct fit for the 2012 GLS, on the assumption that I already have the matching sway bar link ? I am still searching the answer for my question.

Any inputs will help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found this company in South Korea that sell Bilstein shocks for the Sonata/i45 ... note I haven't bought anything from this company myself so can't say if their any good.

Company is called K-Tuning.com (do a Google search)

Sorry I can't post the link to the page because I don't have at least 5 post count yet .. :(

Might be worth checking out perhaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to give an update if someone is searching online and sees this post. If you have the 2011 Sonanta with the sport suspension, you can use the Monroe quick struts 172585 and 172586. You just need to switch out the front sway bar links. We found Moog #k750155 fit perfectly. The sockets are 180 degrees from each other, and fit perfectly.
It took me almost an hour of searching for the perfect link and have not seen an answer to this problem. I hope this helps someone like it did me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just wanted to give an update if someone is searching online and sees this post. If you have the 2011 Sonanta with the sport suspension, you can use the Monroe quick struts 172585 and 172586. You just need to switch out the front sway bar links. We found Moog #k750155 fit perfectly. The sockets are 180 degrees from each other, and fit perfectly.
It took me almost an hour of searching for the perfect link and have not seen an answer to this problem. I hope this helps someone like it did me.
Very good info if someone wants to use aftermarket parts

Pictures in the directions here show the difference in link locations. Looks like some aftermarket parts come with the 180 degree links too.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0229/9049/files/Truhart-Install-PDF.pdf

I also see that someone mentioned Bilstien. Problem is, we're trying not to spend a fortune on parts. Bilstein and OE are just too expensive for a cheap replacement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have a 2011 base model without the sport suspension, does anyone know if the
OEM parts mentioned in the first post here will bolt in without having to change any
other parts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The only reliable (I think) brand that is available from Rock Auto for the 2012 GLS 2.4ltr. A/T is Monroe struts. There is also FCS which I don't know of. OEM's from the dealer is just a highway robbery. I am not certain if there will be a KYB brand to be available. I'll wait further before I decide to replace my front struts.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Are these for the sport suspension or the regular non sport? It seems they are for the non sport. Just wondering how they worked for you. My car is at 170k miles and really need to replace my struts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help. I ran into the same problem with aftermarket struts. I used the Moog K750155 links as suggested. They fit well. The only issue i noticed was the grease fitting on the upper link may need an elbow fitting to add more grease in the future. This saved me a lot of money over the dealer parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the help. I ran into the same problem with aftermarket struts. I used the Moog K750155 links as suggested. They fit well. The only issue i noticed was the grease fitting on the upper link may need an elbow fitting to add more grease in the future. This saved me a lot of money over the dealer parts.
So you have a 2011 sonata non sport suspension built after 7/22/2010 and used the Monroe quick struts he posted and just used the Moog links and it worked for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed struts purchased from Detriot Axle on Ebay. The sway bar links supplied were too short. I then added the Moog link part K750155 as suggested.
Ebay link

1 - 20 of 28 Posts