Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car MoT tested and as the car was being jacked up at the front, the offside tyre stayed on the ramp
Once it was up in the air, the tester showed me that you could just pull the strut right down; at this point a ball-bearing also fell out onto the ramp. So the only thing keeping it in place was the weight of the car. I was lucky he let me drive it away to fix really.

I have swapped the strut over for another. On the old strut, there was nothing holding the top mount on anymore; it just fell off. I presume it got damaged by the speed bumps we have here. The thing is I had no idea it had gone as it drove and steered perfectly. Anyone else experienced this? Is the other side likely to go soon or was this just a freak occurrence?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scary!

Sorry, haven't had that problem, but it's scary to contemplate. I have heard of this happening to others before, however. Talk about an accident waiting to happen! :eek:

Hopefully you got that resolved chop-chop!

Cheers, Kalikiano

·
22,793 Posts
That's pretty terrifying. What's that old saying, "An accident looking for a place to happen?" :eek::

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
so the strut mount rubber separated from the metal bracket i take it. its not that uncommon an issue. its also not an expensive part. just part of owning a car really, they wear out. i've had to replace both front ones on my accent for that same reason.

its not great, but its not as huge a safety issue as you're thinking. the weight of the car does a good job at holding it all together. don't get me wrong, you want it fixed. not ideal to say the least!

the easy test is just jack up the front end of the car and look under the hood. see if the rubber comes off the mount bracket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts