Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 accent with about 95k miles on it. I recently took it in to have the oil changed and the mechanic suggested I get a tune up and said my spark plugs needed to be changed. I didn't opt in for the tune up that day and I'm now noticing more problems with the vehicle. At first the car struggled accelerating at about 35-45 mph, but once it reached above that speed it ran fine. More recently the car has really struggled accelerating after it had come to a stop. Today I came out to start the car and it took a couple tries to get it to kick over. Once the car was on I could rev it up but when I put it in gear it struggled to get to 10mph and that's with the gas pedal pressed all the way to the ground. I let it set and came back to it about an hour ago and added transmission fluid, because it was low. The car started a little better, it wasn't shaking as hard, but it still struggles accelerating and won't push pass 30mph. When parked I can rev it all the way up, when I take my foot off the gas the car does threaten to cut off, but it only has once. I'm not sure where to start. Help anyone?!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I still haven't gotten codes. The check engine light does flash when I first start the car up, but then it goes to solid shortly after. Initially it would blink constantly but after I added transmission fluid it would only blink when I start it up.

I have been told that it might be my transmission :( or a need for a new catalytic converter along with a tune up

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
that is what my car would do when my catalytic converter broke. take it to a local muffler shop and have them take a look at it.

·
22,793 Posts
Catalytic converters are warranted for 10 years, yes? Or, something like that?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Did your tune up include a can of upper cylinder lubricant? these are quite often lead substitutes, cats don't like them at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope it's jus the cat and not the tran. I haven't actually gotten the tune up yet because I'm weary of moving it out of my neighborhood. And I hope the mechanic didn't mess with it, but I'm not really sure

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The check engine light does flash when I first start the car up
that is likely indicating a misfire. get the codes to confirm. when the light flashes its indicating a critical problem is occurring. one that could shut your car down and put you off the road. key word is could :p

you'll probably end up troubleshooting for misfires. get the codes first!

for misfires, usually either means an ignition problem (spark) or the fuel/air mixture is too lean.

ignition: plugs, just replace them. cheap. it'll be obvious if they're really gone. wires, search for any breaks or cracking in the insulation and test for resistance within spec with a multimeter. get a cheap spark indicator light. you just hold this up to each wire and it flashes when the coil is firing the spark plug. should be even and not missing any, can indicate failed coil, wire or even plug. coils, search for any cracks in the housing. this is a very common problem with the MC accent. coils can be tested at some parts stores.

lean mixture: check injectors are firing properly with your ear. get a cheap mechanic's stethoscope, should sound like a loud snap. compare sound of them all. fuel pump not working right is an issue, a test gauge will show what is going on. if you hear some nasty grinding noises from the back seat, that would be a dead giveaway. look for any problems with the vacuum lines and around the intake. your issue would be a pretty major leak in the intake system, should be obvious. the intake manifold gasket can be checked with some startup fluid sprayed around where it mates to the engine head. if idle picks up, you found a leak. replace gasket.

and finally yes the cat can cause this issue. its unlikely, but possible. if you've been getting misfires for a long period of time and just ignored it then the cat could very well be trashed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As zero said: why do you even start to contemplate anything before pulling the code? AutoZone pulls codes for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zero_gravity thank you my northern friend. You just gave me hope :) I don't get paid until Tuesday so I have been torturing myself trying to figure out what could be wrong. While I know it still could b a number of things, I can rest a little easier having heard the same thing from a few different ppl in different places

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
to NoCarKnowledge:

AutoZone pulls codes for free.
i can understand money being an issue. weather i have it or not, i don't want to spend any more on my car than i have to. that's why if you look around these forums you'll find i'm really big on doing a proper diagnosis. why replace a part if its working fine?

if you want to learn more, no limits here. internet forums are how i started and now i'm able to do engine, transmission or differential rebuilds. i have a few guides in the DIY subforum, might be of use. still working on my diagnostics one though....soon.

only barrier to getting into this work is the tools. initially the investment is quite large...but you'll pay it off quickly. look at it like this: if the shop wants say $1000 to do a job that will cost you $200 in parts, then spending another $100 on tools doesn't seem that bad. it's already paid for itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts