Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. It's been a while since I have posted but I am having a problem that I need some help with.
I recently got a code P0442 Evap. Emission System Leak Detected (small leak). Since then I smell raw fuel while filling up and for a short time after driving home from the gas station. I figure it dissipates after 10 or 15 minutes of driving but I smell it in the car and on the outside by the rear wheel. Does anyone have any idea what I should check? I have read somewhere that it could be a leak from the fuel vent valve but I am not sure how to check that since the tank is mounted up high. If it is that can I replace it without dropping the fuel tank. Maybe access from under the rear seat? Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Oh, and I replaced the gas cap too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm still stumped. The smell of raw fuel is coming from the drivers side rear wheel well after fill up. I do not smell anything from the passengers side rear wheel well.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The charcoal canister, CCV canister close valve and fuel vent filter are up inside the driver side fender well, I believe.

You could inspect the hose clamps to see if they are all tight, they get corroded and filter can get plugged with sand. CCV sticking is possible.

There are tons of detailed posts about this problem on the Elantra's etc, pretty much same system. I have been lucky with my santy so far.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The charcoal canister, CCV canister close valve and fuel vent filter are up inside the driver side fender well, I believe.

You could inspect the hose clamps to see if they are all tight, they get corroded and filter can get plugged with sand. CCV sticking is possible.

There are tons of detailed posts about this problem on the Elantra's etc, pretty much same system. I have been lucky with my santy so far.
Look for the usual suspects first. A small leak detected might be harder to find than a large leak since all it's going to take is a plastic line to have a fissure in it to cause it.

The code comes one when the emissions system does a self test. It closes all the valves in the system and monitors fuel tank pressure. It then registers a code if it detects a loss in pressure.

If you are smelling fuel, then you likely have a some kind of leak in the fuel filler tube, or the vent tube. The only way to truly verify where the leak is, is to have a smoke test performed by a shop equipped to do it. Otherwise, all you can do is a visual inspection/digging around.

It's an annoyance, but it's not critical to operating the vehicle, short of the obvious fire hazard of having gasoline fumes around your car. Might be a good idea to give up that smoking habit for a while until you get it figured out. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Redfury, you were right on about the leak coming from the fuel filler tube behind the plastic cover in the wheel well. It was corroded pretty good and found the pinhole right away. It was very easy to replace. I cleared the code and it has not come back since. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody. It's been a while since I have posted but I am having a problem that I need some help with.
I recently got a code P0442 Evap. Emission System Leak Detected (small leak). Since then I smell raw fuel while filling up and for a short time after driving home from the gas station. I figure it dissipates after 10 or 15 minutes of driving but I smell it in the car and on the outside by the rear wheel. Does anyone have any idea what I should check? I have read somewhere that it could be a leak from the fuel vent valve but I am not sure how to check that since the tank is mounted up high. If it is that can I replace it without dropping the fuel tank. Maybe access from under the rear seat? Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Oh, and I replaced the gas cap too.
I have same problem! Had a smoke test done (75$) and they said filler neck needs replacing for 450$!!! no thank you! So I bought a OEM brand new and installed myself for 65$ , still had CEL on! I have replaced filler neck and hoses,gas cap ( put old one back on after it didnt work) replaced charcoal canister (used)from ebay with (99,000 miles on it),so i dont think both purge valve and pressure sensor on the canisters are bad!?? STILL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! Next im checking fuel pump lines etc... and next IM checking fuel vapor hose from gas tank to intake.......then what??? LOL

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have same problem! Had a smoke test done (75$) and they said filler neck needs replacing for 450$!!! no thank you! So I bought a OEM brand new and installed myself for 65$ , still had CEL on! I have replaced filler neck and hoses,gas cap ( put old one back on after it didnt work) replaced charcoal canister (used)from ebay with (99,000 miles on it),so i dont think both purge valve and pressure sensor on the canisters are bad!?? STILL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! Next im checking fuel pump lines etc... and next IM checking fuel vapor hose from gas tank to intake.......then what??? LOL
Did you clear the CEL light after changing parts with OBD2 tool?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts