Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2.0T with 500 miles on it.

Today I pulled car out to driveway just to clean up my belongings in the garage. It was like 3 seconds quick start and stop. I smelled gas even before I open the door. Same experience repeated after I backed into garage again. The smell was like gas leakage. Usually we drive several miles so never experienced this before.

I wanted to soothe myself it's normal just gas wasn't fully burned since engine was cold. But I know something is wrong. Need some opinions and suggestions here before driving to dealership.

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What did you eat? :grin2:

Reactions: Basshound

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would say normal. That is way too short of a run time. Done often enough you might fuel foul the spark plugs resulting in a misfire or a no start. I always recommend allowing it to run about 30 seconds before shut down.

Any small of fuel after a longer run should be checked as quickly as possible. At the pressures that modern fuel systems run at...A leak on the pressure side of the fuel system could result in a fire in short order.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the same problem.... I don’t think it is normal...mine has the smell first thing in the morning.......when it happens, my car smells like an old 1970s car my dad used to have

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Keep in mind that just like with that 1970s engine when today's engines are started cold they do receive extra fuel to allow them to start and continue running. Modern fuel injection replaces the choke on a carburetor. The colder the weather, the more fuel. If you start an engine for a few seconds and shut it right off as the OP did that is much different than starting it and allowing that excess fuel to be properly burned off. You also have a high risk of fuel fouling the spark plugs. We still see that in Dealerships when salesmen "short hop" vehicles, such as in starting them to move a few feet and then turn them right off in 10 degree weather. And yes, the exhaust may also smell different due to the richer fuel mixture.

Again...Not discounting that there may be an issue.....But running an engine for a few seconds and then turning it right off really isn't a good idea. Here is a GM Bulletin that explains this on some of their models. Note the comment about "black smoke," which is one of the things you would see on that 1970s era engine on a cold start :) In this case these are all four cylinder direct injected engines....

#PI1223B: Black Smoke and Rough Idle on Cold Start - (May 5, 2016)
Subject: Black Smoke and Rough Idle on Cold Start

Models: 2011-2017 Buick Regal
2012-2017 Buick Verano
2013-2017 Cadillac ATS
2014-2017 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2010-2017 Chevrolet Captiva, Equinox
2013-2017 Chevrolet Malibu
2014-2017 Chevrolet Impala
2010-2017 GMC Terrain
Equipped with Engine RPOs LAF, LEA, LCV, LTG, LKW, LHU or LUK

Attention: This PI also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been revised to add the 2015-2017 Model Years. Please discard PI1223A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on black smoke, rough idle and minimal misfires on start up only.

This can be caused by the introduction of direct fuel injection systems.

Recommendation/Instructions
A split-pulse injection strategy is utilized during engine cold start to reduce the time required to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature.

This split injection strategy lasts for about 20 seconds on cold start.

This process will cause the customer to see increased black smoke, soot, rough idle, or minimal misfires during cold start and should be considered normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts