Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal:

got a full tank fill up last night. Drove a half mile home. Woke up this morning, opened the car door and the inside stunk like gas. Very very strong. Even in the trunk it smelled.

I called the dealer and he said maybe it's from the guy overfilled the tank. Overfilled or not it shouldn't smell like that.

I thought fuel pump since it's under the rear seat.

We aired the car out a bit and then took our 6hr trip made it 430miles and still have over 1/4 tank so it can't really be leaking fast if it is.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
A Question here? Why would you take a 6 Hour trip in a Brand New Sonata that could quite likely have a Fuel Leak and can BLOW UP?

I'm not reading where the Dealer inspected this Car before you left. Very poor move. You should have no Gas smell in the Cabin EVER!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well first off, I have had this car since february and have 5000 miles on it. It has already had it first service and has not really had this issue. One time before it smelled a little like gas after a fill up, but not this bad.

I called the dealer immediately and he told me that it's fine to drive, and I had no choice, I had to be somewhere.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
We don't have those Guys who pump your Gas here in California. I wonder if that is a high paying Job in NJ and Oregon?

Anyway now that you have given us more information, I can only surmise that you have got used to the fumes by now,

and are prone to blow up at any time :bwekk:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 13 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322627
We don't have those Guys who pump your Gas here in California. I wonder if that is a high paying Job in NJ and Oregon?

Anyway now that you have given us more information, I can only surmise that you have got used to the fumes by now,

and are prone to blow up at any time :bwekk:

Anyone with a brain and that actually has this car chime in?

We have put gas in the car every week since february and would notice if it happend all the time.

If a gas pump attendent over filled the tank, what would cause the car to smell. I mean it's not like the tank over flowed and ran down the side of the car, so I'f it was overfilled where did the excess gas
go to cause the smell in the cabin?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sometimes it can be the quality of the gasoline. There are some shoddy gas stations out there you have to watch out for. Take it to a different dealer if it's bothering you, especially if the problem persists. They should be able to run a test on the fuel to determine it's quality, etc. That's probably the best advice your gonna get on here, If you think something is leaking regarding gasoline it's better to leave it to the 'professionals' at the dealership to deal with. This sounds really strange for a new vehicle, although I haven't had any experience with GDI engines I would assume they aren't supposed to make the car smell like gasoline.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking it to a dealer tomorrow am. I'll post my findings

I don't think it's a gas quality issue. I use wawa gas which was rated pretty good. Also quality of gas shouldn't have made the interior smell. No smells on the outside or in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (dsn112 @ May 13 2010, 07:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322657
Taking it to a dealer tomorrow am. I'll post my findings

I don't think it's a gas quality issue. I use wawa gas which was rated pretty good. Also quality of gas shouldn't have made the interior smell. No smells on the outside or in the engine compartment.

Quality of gas likely has nothing to do with it. Overfilling a gas tank can load the charcoal canister with fuel causing the smell.

see:
http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/ne...letters.article

This is not mentioning the Sonata, but IIRC all cars have this potential issue.

A little Google search will confirm this

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Excellent reply. My understanding as well if you shove too much Gas up the pipe it is possible you can smell it. Of course

you would think the WaWa Pump Jockey is trained in not topping off the Sonata. Another reason I would not want to live in NJ!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Today i over filled my tank and had a strong odor after so maybe you just over filled it. The smell went away after a little while though.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Big_k @ May 13 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322680
Today i over filled my tank and had a strong odor after so maybe you just over filled it. The smell went away after a little while though.
No in New Jersey you can't touch the Gas Pump. :innocent: I was trying to find out more about that, & what pump setting was used,

but was accused of having a Pea brain. I understand this can damage the Car?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've had the overfill smell before in my old car when my dad fills it up. he is one of those old fashion people where you have to get it to the nearest dollar so at times you will overfill it. The smell is bad but goes away after say 10 mins of driving if it is still there after a long time, something might be wrong. When I fill I stop once the pump stops the first time so never have a overfill problem. Up here some stations are self serve and others full service, always do self, some of those gas jockeys are idiots especially when doing windows they have scratched paint before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 13 2010, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322686
No in New Jersey you can't touch the Gas Pump. :innocent: I was trying to find out more about that, & what pump setting was used,

but was accused of having a Pea brain. I understand this can damage the Car?

You did nothing but say dumb stuff and added no value. Hey your gonna explode is no help.

We have used the same gas station (I have no control over state gas pump laws) for 3 years. We had an 07 Santa fe and not once did we ever smell gas in the cabin.

I'm sure the geniuses at the gas station have overfilled the Santa fe before. So why no smell in that car?

My pregnant wife drives this car so if this is normal I'm gonna have an issue.

In the 10 cars I have had, this had never been a problem.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this topic is getting out of hand and is getting far away from the question that was posted in the first place

lets get back to basics and stop all the bickering.

in regards to the smell of gas was this just an isolated incident? if so there was a good chance that the tank was overfilled and soaked the charcoal canister however if this has happened more than once l would strongly suggest you get the vehicle to your dealer sooner rather than later so that the problem can be sorted out under your warranty.

you do not need me to tell you that vapour from gas is highly dangerous and can cause an explosion....it only takes a spark...............enough said

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (dsn112 @ May 14 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322872
You did nothing but say dumb stuff and added no value. Hey your gonna explode is no help.
My pregnant wife drives this car so if this is normal I'm gonna have an issue.
Ok I did make that New Jersey comment, but I asked why would you take a Trip with your Pregnant wife

knowing that there might be some sort of Fuel Vapor/Fuel leak problem? As Montego mentioned, the Fuel Tank

Air Filter, (the one normally left alone and not replaced) sounds like it could have been damaged. Or God forbid there is

some sort of leak. You should never smell Gas in the Cabin for a prolonged period of time. A "Strong Fuel Smell" per you,

and then continue driving. And for the Dealer to say oh yea no Problem is INSANE. Insane that you would take their word for it. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If it were my car, I would ask the dealer to inspect the charcoal canister. As I mentioned, they can become loaded with gas if the car is topped off.
If the canister needs to be replaced, it is possible that it will not be covered under your warranty, since the car was topped off. Even if this was the same gas station you have used before, it is possible that they topped off more aggressively than in the past.

If the canister is determined to be the problem, make certain that no one tops off the tank when filling. When the pump shuts off, stop.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Yes that is what we have been speaking about. While this isn't his fault, there might be some trapped unburned Gas in the
Filter. When I asked why... the poster became sensitive and somewhat defensive. Cars can start on fire at the Pump, or at any point
along the open road. For the record if I ever smelled Gas inside the Car I would be very worried. And if I was driving a Brand New redesigned Model, I would realize I was a Pioneer Owner, and there can be problems. I faced this with the NF, except no Gas fumes ever. I want you to be safe. Actually I want your Wife to be as safe as possible. You I'm not wild about! :innocent:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Only thing I know is the fuel system is a CLOSED SYSTEM, so you should NEVER smell gas inside the car, no matter what you do. Yes, overfilling the tank can cause fuel to overflow the tank (behind rear wheel), and even a CEL (check engine light), but definitely no odor inside the car. Based on your input, seems to me there's a leak somewhere when tank is full. Sounds like it'd be very hard to find.

What I'd do is fill your tank only until fuel pump shuts off (no topping off) and see if the smell ever comes back again. If it does, then I'd definitely address the situation asap as you don't want to mess with gas fumes. It'd obviously be something near the top of the tank, and a minor leak as well (at least for now), but I wouldn't take any chances with a gas leak, especially if it's your (pregnant) wife's car.

I'll tell you what. I haven't refueled my car yet (only 150 miles on the clock), but will top it off a few times when I fill it up and see what happens. I suspect your car is an isolated incident, but want to help to either confirm that, or consider the possibility of a design/manufacturing problem. Will keep you posted in a week or so. And you do the same. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts