Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just joined the forum, and as I mentioned, I bought both a Tucson and a Sonata.

I like both a lot, and I do like my Sonata (Tucson is for the fiancé).

I just took the Sonata to the dealership (North Freeway Hyundai here in Houston Texas) to have a small scratch that I unfortunately did not notice fixed. This dealership has been nothing but nice to me and my fiancé.

They fixed the scratch without questions asked and I actually liked what they did. They have a separate department (I actually think it’s a contracted company) And they did a really good job.

Today I washed the car for the first time and noticed streaks on both sides of the front fascia underneath the headlights (pics attached) that won’t come off. I also noticed some sort of road rash and/or overspray? On the bottom of the front fascia. I did a horrible job of not preinspecting the car before signing everything... so I have a question to ask you fellow “Hyundaiyans” (? Sorry...):

I do wanna take this up to the dealership, I had Auto Butler thrown in for free (trust me, I did not want the thing and they worked it in into the rebate, but the fiancé thought it was a good idea...) and I don’t know if the dealership and/or Auto Butler would cover it. What’s your opinion on this? I imagine they could just say (if they wanted to be ass-ish) that it was somehow my doing..

Which brings me to the second part of this, would a deep wax and or detail take care of this? And if so, and having been part of other car forums before, is there a particular detailing business/individual here in Houston that anyone here in these forums have used?

PS: The car also has hard water spots on the front waterfall grill, on the chrome part. I googled how to take those off and will do it soon.

Thanks for reading. I don’t mind if it comes out of my pocket, as I made the mistake of not pre-inspecting it correctly before signing everything. Live and learn!! T____T I reallly just wanna take care of it. I hate how it looks!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
The black streaks look like the type my mom's 2000 VW Beetle gets from the rubber trim after several rain showers. The black just kinda runs and drys. I would suggest using a clay bar first followed by a light polish if needed. If that doesn't take care of the issue, I'm really not sure. I wouldn't use any harsh chemical cleaners.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks horrible for a brand new car.This just goes to show how terrible the 2018 Sonatas are.The value of this car will plummet like a rock.Get out while you can now ,take the small hit verse the bigger hit later on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The black streaks look like the type my mom's 2000 VW Beetle gets from the rubber trim after several rain showers. The black just kinda runs and drys. I would suggest using a clay bar first followed by a light polish if needed. If that doesn't take care of the issue, I'm really not sure. I wouldn't use any harsh chemical cleaners.
That’s what I thought as well, both of these things should hopefully be pretty superficial. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
433 Posts
That’s what I thought as well, both of these things should hopefully be pretty superficial. Thanks for your reply!
Keep us posted if you try the clay/polish. Clay should take care of overspray as well, assuming it is above the clear coat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Use a cleaner wax. No need to polish your paint, especially when its brand new. You don't want to start eating away at the clearcoat this soon and I don't think those marks are embedded. Claying a car is good, even new cars because they are sitting on the lot for months anyway, but try a cleaner wax. Meguiare's makes a great one and you can spot wax it and see if that helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep us posted if you try the clay/polish. Clay should take care of overspray as well, assuming it is above the clear coat.
I’m gonna try it this next Friday as I don’t work on fridays during the summer. I will take some pics as well!

Use a cleaner wax. No need to polish your paint, especially when its brand new. You don't want to start eating away at the clearcoat this soon and I don't think those marks are embedded. Claying a car is good, even new cars because they are sitting on the lot for months anyway, but try a cleaner wax. Meguiare's makes a great one and you can spot wax it and see if that helps
That’s actually a great idea. I need some things to wash the cars (I love Meguiars!) I’m gonna try that. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks horrible for a brand new car.This just goes to show how terrible the 2018 Sonatas are.The value of this car will plummet like a rock.Get out while you can now ,take the small hit verse the bigger hit later on.
You mean like trading it in? Haha I unfortunately can not do that. I would cry to see the hit I would take plus I really like the car! It’s super comfortable, good on gas and the quality of materials in the interior is pretty close to a couple of E-Gen BMW’s I owned. I couldn’t bring myself to part ways with it!

Is there some sort of ongoing issue with 2018 Sonatas that I’m not aware of? I did notice the Sonata is made here in the USA while our Tucson is made in South Korea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
They sell it in liquid form, but this is the real deal hard old school paste. You'll pass out doing your whole car with this, but for the spot treatment, I'd definitely go with this first.

I know the pre-facelift LF has a condition that causes it to streak under the door handles. Not sure if the 2018+ have the same issue but not every shampoo that i use removes it. I like using the Meguiar's or Chemical Guys Wash & wax and the sheepskin mit, unfortunately it's the THAT harsh enough to remove some of the grease and road grime etc. The Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo does take more stuff off, but is a little harsher on the wax I have on my car. What did you use to wash your car?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You mean like trading it in? Haha I unfortunately can not do that. I would cry to see the hit I would take plus I really like the car! It’s super comfortable, good on gas and the quality of materials in the interior is pretty close to a couple of E-Gen BMW’s I owned. I couldn’t bring myself to part ways with it!

Is there some sort of ongoing issue with 2018 Sonatas that I’m not aware of? I did notice the Sonata is made here in the USA while our Tucson is made in South Korea.
It's common practice to trade in your car when it gets dirty, were you not aware?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They sell it in liquid form, but this is the real deal hard old school paste. You'll pass out doing your whole car with this, but for the spot treatment, I'd definitely go with this first.

I know the pre-facelift LF has a condition that causes it to streak under the door handles. Not sure if the 2018+ have the same issue but not every shampoo that i use removes it. I like using the Meguiar's or Chemical Guys Wash & wax and the sheepskin mit, unfortunately it's the THAT harsh enough to remove some of the grease and road grime etc. The Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo does take more stuff off, but is a little harsher on the wax I have on my car. What did you use to wash your car?
Oh thanks for telling me! I was gonna go with the liquid one. Ill get both to have both options of a quick wax and a elbow grease one....I could use the workout anyway...

Since I was a bit younger I’ve been using Gold Class, since I love the way it leaves the cars so shiny and how that glow lasts. Ive been thinking about getting some of the Chemical Guys’ stuff. The reviews are pretty good and their stuff seems to be great quality. I love Meguiars though! I guess I can try to wash it again, since I didn’t really scrub it hard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It's common practice to trade in your car when it gets dirty, were you not aware?
I wasn’t aware! In that case I need a LOT of cash to trade in my fleet of dirty vehicles! T___T I can’t believe I was out of the loop!...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nooooo, don't use a cleaner wax, that is actually more abrasive than polish.

I always completely detail my cars after purchase and they really do need it. My car was brand new and it still had paint that needed to be corrected. In addition I never allow them to "detail" my car or "prep" it before delivery. I do not need the free "DISO" (Dealer Installed Swirl Option). I would show it to the dealer and see what they will do for you. (I would ask for it to be detailed by a professional detailer).
There is also no condition the pre-faced lifted Sonata has. I know people have complained about the issue. However, it really is a matter of making sure to keep the car clean, and getting the water out when drying. (A leaf blower does wonders).
Here is something I wrote a long time ago in another area of this large forum for someone who asked about taking care of exterior. It may be of some help.
:)

---------
This can be a long and complicated discussion, with a number of different ideas, products etc…

However, in its most basic form there are five steps to taking care of your vehicle.

Step 1. Washing
There are a number of methods people employ here. We are going to keep it simple and in a way which will get the job done without harming the finish (doing things wrong can harm the finish even though we may think we are doing good by our cars.

You will want at the very least 2 Car wash mitts.
A bucket, and grit guard to put in the bucket.
(The grit guard goes in bottom of bucket and helps keep the containments from getting back into your wash mitt).
A good quality car wash (Never dish soap). There are a number of brands to choose from.
You will also want to get some car specific drying towels. (not regular terry towels, as they can actually scratch).

Step 2. Cleaning The Paint
This step does not have to be done each time you clean your car. Usually people will do this every 6 months to a year. This is where you will hear the term Claying or Clay Bar the car.
This helps to remove contaminants that have bonded to the surface of the paint and could not be removed by just washing.

Step 3. Polishing The Paint
Now that you have a really smooth and clean finish you will want to bring out the shine, and help nurture the paint. This is where polish comes in. Polishing the car will make it shiny, and give it that wet look.

Step 4. Protecting The Finish
This is where Wax comes into the picture. Wax seals and protects the finish.

Step 5. Maintaining The Finish
This is where you will use products such as Quick Detail Sprays, or Waxes to maintain the finish in between washes.

This is a subject that can go into really great depth (honest) and will all depend on how much you want to do, or what type of result you are going after as to how involved one wants to make it.

There are a number of great tutorials all over the internet, and I will try to find one for you after I finish typing this. Actually, let me go look at Meguiars site, and I will post the link for you. It will be a great place to start off from, and I am sure many others will chime in with their ideas and tips as well.

For some people "Detailing" is a passion... or a neurosis lol.

**Edit**

Okay, here we go.
In just the 15 second glance, I see they are going to start right off with the 2 bucket method (see I told you there are many ways, some people even use 3, one dedicated to the wheels). I know, I didn't even address the interior yet, lol. I am sure they will have something for that as well.

Anyway, here is the link- (Enjoy!!)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...bg4LIt0kogw.97

·
Registered
122 Posts
Without getting in a debate about how to wash cars, I will tell you a cleaner wax is not more abrasive than a polish(not to be confused with a compound) especially if done by hand. Now you may be thinking of a finishing polish or glaze, which will not remove any oxidation or staining on the clearcoat. I like the debate and its a good way to get some tips, but this is about one specific area on the bumper. You don't want to start polishing a brand new car. Even I am waiting for at least the 2 year mark before i put a machine on my car. Personally I use a sealant from Chemical Guys every 5 months and the best paint to protect is new paint. After Aevus gets it all cleaned up, he can go ahead and seal the car with a good sealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Step 3. Polishing The Paint
Now that you have a really smooth and clean finish you will want to bring out the shine, and help nurture the paint. This is where polish comes in. Polishing the car will make it shiny, and give it that wet look."

but since we are on the subject, polishing doesn't nurture the paint. Polishing smooths out the scratches and imperfections in the clearcoat, the shiny layer above the paint. You use it with a rotary machine and pads. Thats why you can use polishing to remove swirl marks, light scratches, and other surface imperfections. It literally cuts into the surface and smooths out the edges of the scratch so everytime you polish, you are removing a tiny layer of the clearcoat. AFTER you polish, you have to re apply all the protection you removed, which is when you wax or better yet seal the paint. A a good wax,sealant may seem to make it a little more shiny but for the most part it's all label dressing. You are just placing this on the surface as sort of a cover for your actually shine

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,037 Posts
OP - as others have suggested try a good wash and clay bar first. Most of the new cars out there have been sitting in the elements during shipping and on the lot and the dealers are not usually known for their detailing.

I like and use Meguiar products, they are reasonable priced and available everywhere (I carry window cleaner and a spray bottle of Quick Detailer and Quick Wax and a couple microfiber towels for the mid week refresh, keeps the car looking great between washes).

1. Give it a good wash (I use Maguiar car Wash) use 2 buckets 1 for the soapy water and a rinse bucket
2. Clay bar the car, I use the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit (13.00 includes detailer spray for lubricant)
3. IMO with the new paint you may not need to polish yet if the clay takes out the over spray and streaks. If so use the Gold Wax or Ive also had great results with their paste wax (for black or white cars) I have a silver Sonata and use the Meguiars Black paste wax on it and it seems to give the silver a great shine. They also make it in White paste for lighter cars

There are many opinions on detailing , find what works for you with the least effort to get the level of results you are happy with

·
Registered
69 Posts
JaxIII: Respectfully, I disagree, here is why-
A polish has NO cleaning or paint correcting abilities in it at all. A pure polish gives the paint depth and gloss. It also offers no protection which is why it has to be followed up with a wax. (You may be thinking of cleaner-polishes).

I would also not advise using a rotary tool unless one has a lot of experience with them, as you can burn your paint very fast. They make very nice dual action machines which work great and you don't risk harming the finish.

I don't feel a blanket statement to not polish, or cleaner-polish a new car is correct. There are just so many variables that every car has to be evaluated on its particular condition. However, it is pretty rare, especially so if the dealer did a prep, or dealer detail where a car does not drive right off the lot and not have some scratches, holo's or swirl marks in them. In addition, just driving the car, parking in lots we all get little scratches here and there. Just the nature of the beast. Not a perfect world, unfortunately. I know in my own cases I have seen my share of defects (We are on our 9th Brand New Hyundai, and 11th Brand New car overall, and have also had 2 Brand New Motorcycles).

For the OP my suggestion, as I already stated was to go back to the dealership and see about getting the car "professionally" detailed. I then thought it would be nice to include a brief introduction to taking care of the finish. I mean, as I am sure you know, when it comes to detailing... the conversation could go on for pages and page and pages, and still not be done.

*Edit*
I will also add I am a big Meguiars user as well. They have a lot of nice products, and if you are in their area they even offer training.
:)

·
Registered
285 Posts

J. D. Power & Associates revealed their issue with Hyundai: 2018 Initial Quality Awards top three places to Genesis, Hyundai and Kia.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Aenygma, I think that's basically what I said. That's why I told him not to polish and use a cleaner wax. I mentioned I wouldn't put a machine on my car for at least 3 years.

I think you got confused when I quoted the other guy who quoted the meguiars website. I was offering a counter argument. My fault, I should have been more clearer in my quoting

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all, truly, for all of your suggestions. I am ordering a bunch of stuff today! I am buying an extra bucket from The Chemical Guys, the one with the dolly w/ wheels and a grit guard. I'm also going to order both suggestions to try it out. I'm hopeful it takes care of it and I will post results this weekend when I try it, the stuff should get here in time. I'm ordering it from amazon, as they seem to have the best prices on this, currently.

I'm also going to order a paint-pen, if that's what it's called. I spotted a rock-chip on our Tucson this weekend and a pen with the correct color code + a small buff should take care of it. That's what I get for taking it on the road so much...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts