Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Looking for the best time to purchase a 2018 Sonata Limited. Currently my wife's car is a 2011 Sonata Limited and she loves it - calls it solid compared to my Honda Fit (which I love). We've had some maintenance done where she started to lose faith, but I explained to her that some things wear out and some are just not major and easy to replace. Starter lever broke and left her stranded once and this week for the first time we got a code - P0705 which is the transmission range switch which was replaced and appears to be fine. Car has 135,000 miles and it passed the crank rod bearing recall sound test where I got the new dipstick.
She IS impatient and was a bit antsy with the car in the shop. I told her if she was ok with staying with a Sonata, I thought we could get a nice price on a new one since everyone wants CUV's and trucks today.
She does drive's long distances - Connecticut to Chicago a couple of times a year to visit and help son in grad school, so with the car over 100,000 miles, those drives can be a roll of the dice. So far our failures have been close to home. All maintenance is current with the 2011 and the brakes. belts, plugs , filters, ATF and radiator are all recently maintained.

My first thought was to trade in the 2011 and get a 2018, but it runs well and has all the maintenance done so it's in good shape and I'm sure I'd only get $3000 as a trade.

My current thinking is to keep the 2011 for my 17 year old who has a learners permit and in 1 year may be commuting to college and pick up a 2018 for the MRS. The Sonata is definitely safer for my 17 year old compared to my Fit.

I e-mailed around and found 2018 Sonata limited's (non turbo without the Ultimate package (MSRP ~28,400) offered up for around 22,800 before the hard dealing. This is all pre-tax, registration and conveyance.

I wasn't up to date on the changes with the LF and the refresh done for 2018 and after checking this weekend, I'm impressed. Seems like alot of car for the money.

I'm thinking I can wait and get serious during August. The 2019 should start arriving over the next 6 weeks so maybe end of August would be a good time.

If I do this, we'll be a two Fit, two Sonata family.

:nerd:

·
Registered
906 Posts
For this part: "My current thinking is to keep the 2011 for my 17 year old who has a learners permit and in 1 year may be commuting to college and pick up a 2018 for the MRS. The Sonata is definitely safer for my 17 year old compared to my Fit."
That is what I would do.

For the rest, the dealers know the '19s are coming. They will only sell whats on the lot unless another is clos by. You could probably make a good deal even now. Why wait if there is something available in your liking now?

·
Registered
515 Posts
My advice is if you’re able to wait a little longer for the 2019s, Hyundai will do what they can to get rid of the ‘18s. I bought my ‘16 right when the ‘17s were starting to sell and they were practically giving the Sonatas away. MSRP for my ‘16 Sonata Sport Value Package was $25,505 but I paid less than $18,000 out the door and that included all the taxes and fees.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
sonata sales are in the toilet. sedans overall are not selling. when we went shopping for the first elantra, which we didnt even consider until we test drove one, i used the hyundai site to send inquiries to all the dealers in the area. the results were varied, but i think now you will get way better responses. some did the old, "come on down and let's talk". i aint gonna drive an hour just to get beat on. the one that got us, he asked for some personal info, then got back with all the incentives available, what they had, and the final price. he also advised that some incentives might not be available depending on credit. we gave further info, and finalized the deal over the phone. then we went to the dealership, and i wrote a check for tt&l, and drove the car home. we were so impressed with the car, that we got another. this time, i sent out emails thru the website, and put on there what incentives we expected. only 1 dealer agreed, and again, we had a choice from what they had. then we went there, and again, i paid tt&l, and we drove the new car home. i think there is even more possibilities with the sonata because of slow sales. i even see 2017's still for sale.

·
Registered
203 Posts
mostly what I did was look at edumunds.com to see what incentives were availble.
I checked to see which ones I qualified for.
Also note there are 2 additional ones that don't seem to be listed there that were mentioned in this forum.
Allstate and sam's club both have some deal with hyundai. neither require a purchase apparently. good for another 1k off.

boostup requires you to have the account open for a month or 3 can't remember and they give you 500 if you put 500 in towards your purchase.

I also got the vet discount, student discount and one other as I recall.

I emailed all the dealers instate and 1 state over I was able to fly to or drive to in a reasonable amount of time and stated I qualify for x, y and z what is your best out the door price.

played 2 off each other till I got the best price I could and purchased.
it was within 500 of the best price listed here, so I feel pretty good about it.

end of month sales are best times as they are trying to meet a number.
end of year sales are even better.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
514 Posts
Yes, Limited with Ultimate package, YOU .. CAN .. NOT .. GO .. WRONG.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a 2017 SE when the 2018 were out. MSRP: $23,240 and I paid $15,580. The local dealer had lots of 2017 models and about the same number as the 2018 that were on the lot, so they were willing to make a deal on the 2017. I would recommend waiting until the 2019 come out and see if you can find a good deal that way. Watch the inventory and if you see the selection is getting low on the 2019 then they won’t be as interested in dealing.
I would have like to have got a Limited Ultimate package but I just didn’t want to spend that type of money. The SE works great for me and when I started out with fewer options, I don’t notice the other missing.
One thing that I would recommend is making your deal with the salesman, getting a signed copy, and then tell the finance crook that if the contract that he writes up is any different from what your agreement is, then you are walking out the door. The finance guy (crook) is they guy that makes them a ton of money by selling you stuff at 3 or 4 times the actual cost. If he is pushing it, DON’T buy it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok I have 2017 Limited with the ultimate package and 7k miles. I was interested in a 2018 with the free map updates and lane departure with auto-correction. I got the TruCar price and it seemed like good price on a 2018 limited with the Ultimate package. Amazingly the dealers said they would accept the TruCar price. When I got to the dealer they said I had to add the "Dealer Installed Options" to the TruCar price which took me back to their sticker price. I had checked with Hyundai and the MSRP price had been dropped and the dealer would not accept the Hyundai price as a starting price.

Since there is nothing wrong with my 2017 and I love the 2017 and the small changes in the 2018 I am going to wait till the 2019 show up in the dealerships and see if there is any change in their wanting to sell the 2018's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife is heading alone today to do a test drive. They have a black with the ultimate package and a dark blue with grey interior without it. The goal is for her to verify she likes the car and nothing odd crops up that turns her off. This local dealer is an old fashioned sleeze ball style so I'm sure they'll pressure her to not leave until the papers are signed. I've coached her to say just test driving, heading to drive Camry and Accord also, which she is not.

I'll be interested to hear how she likes it. I get the feeling the 2018 is a much improved version of our 2011 which she likes and I respect. I especially like that it doesn't have a turbo and doesn't have a CVT. I like tried and true with conservative functional styling.

If she likes it, I'll probably head to Rhode Island this week where the dealer e-mailed me a price that was about 6,000 off MSRP with the various rebates. I"m sure when I get there I won't qualify for all the rebates, but I'm not in a hurry, have pre-approved credit union financing and in some ways enjoy the new car purchase game. I'm 62 and have surely done it enough! Thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
credit unions are going to have better rates, BUT check on it to see what the finance discount is.
I got another 1k off for financing.
It was really only worth about 500 but still.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Remember, you can always pay off the loan after a few months to get a better rate, if you can that way. That way get the $$$$ off for Hyundai financing. I've done that a few times, but I just pay off the loans. There is also home equity loans.

It's "get rid of them" time. They will do many deals. My place in NJ is giving 2018 $4,300 off list !

·
Registered
168 Posts
Remember, you can always pay off the loan after a few months to get a better rate, if you can that way. That way get the $$$$ off for Hyundai financing. I've done that a few times, but I just pay off the loans. There is also home equity loans.

It's "get rid of them" time. They will do many deals. My place in NJ is giving 2018 $4,300 off list !
Ok first what list. The inflated dealer list or the Hyundai reduced price.

https://www.hyundainews.com/models/hyundai-sonata-2018-sonata

Make sure you check the Dealer Installed Options

·
Registered
2011 Santa Fe LTD 4cyl, 2wd: 2021 Tucson LTD 4cyl, 2wd
394 Posts

Is it possible to get a dealership name? I checked within 200 miles of your Zip on cars.com and they are not any less than my area.

What is $4300 off list? $3000 rebate and dealer discount of $1300? That is not a very good deal. Most people are getting 8-10% off MSRP for the SEL model from the dealer and then the rebate on top of that.

Or is the $4300 the dealer discount combined with all of the extra incentives and does not include the rebate? If the $4300 includes $1000 Uber, $500 military, $500 Boostup, $400 college grad, then the dealer discount is about $1900. That is 7.6% off MSRP. In the normal range of dealer discount.

I also noticed in the ads that they list a price with no freight or doc fee. So add another $1200 to the listed price approximately.

We are far from clear it out time. I have been watching pricing sense January. Best rebate month in my area was March, total rebate $3750. Rebate the last few months has been $3000 on most models. When we can get a dealer discount of 10% off MSRP, rebate around $4000, plus extra incentives that we qualify for, that will be a great time to buy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have bought 5 cars from them over the years.... I usually just get an "Out The Door" price, they know us. Like many dealers they rack up the price with coatings, seat protections. We usually don't get that, unless it's already done on the car. I would have to say most NJ car dealers are doing that anymore. Seal coatings, useless glass engravings, seat protection. The two times we needed warranty work was no big deal.

https://www.route46hyundai.com/all-inventory/index.htm?year=2018&make=Hyundai&model=Sonata

Every state is different on fees dealers can charge. In NJ, all additional items added to the car has to be printed on the window sticker, anything but taxes and dealer fees. Many years ago NJ had to make a law on "registration fees" They were charging $300 + to register your car. So they passed a law that only actual registration charges can be charged. So they just changed it to $400 "office" fees above registration. NJ was suppose to have some very high consumer protection laws. Yet, there should be a big sign ( and the size stated by the state) on the display floor of ALL fees that will be added. One place tried to hit me with a $400 "office" fee. Said it was a "standard fee", it's written on the contract, got up to walk out and that fee disappeared.

RULE ONE: never start negations after they look at your car and you don't get your key back. Many years back one guy called the cops as the dealer would not give back his car keys.

·
Registered
2011 Santa Fe LTD 4cyl, 2wd: 2021 Tucson LTD 4cyl, 2wd
394 Posts
I have bought 5 cars from them over the years.... I usually just get an "Out The Door" price, they know us. Like many dealers they rack up the price with coatings, seat protections. We usually don't get that, unless it's already done on the car. I would have to say most NJ car dealers are doing that anymore. Seal coatings, useless glass engravings, seat protection. The two times we needed warranty work was no big deal.

https://www.route46hyundai.com/all-inventory/index.htm?year=2018&make=Hyundai&model=Sonata

Every state is different on fees dealers can charge. In NJ, all additional items added to the car has to be printed on the window sticker, anything but taxes and dealer fees. Many years ago NJ had to make a law on "registration fees" They were charging $300 + to register your car. So they passed a law that only actual registration charges can be charged. So they just changed it to $400 "office" fees above registration. NJ was suppose to have some very high consumer protection laws. Yet, there should be a big sign ( and the size stated by the state) on the display floor of ALL fees that will be added. One place tried to hit me with a $400 "office" fee. Said it was a "standard fee", it's written on the contract, got up to walk out and that fee disappeared.

RULE ONE: never start negations after they look at your car and you don't get your key back. Many years back one guy called the cops as the dealer would not give back his car keys.
Thanks for the reply. I checked their site. Pretty standard stuff. The $4300 is $3000 rebate plus $1300 dealer discount. No big deal. If you check the "what did you pay for your sonata" thread, users are posting dealer discounts of at least 7-8% on SEL model. Some in the 9-10% range. 8% is $2000.

I guess the dealer is keeping his powder dry and not advertising too low a price online. We have similar dealers here in Atlanta. Similar dealer discount around 5%. I really like that they break down each incentive and give a price with and without the extra incentives. Some unscrupulous dealers advertise price with all incentives and are not clear how they got to that price. So they look way cheaper than everyone else, but of course hardly anyone can get that price because they do not qualify for all of the extra incentives.

That is why I am focusing on dealer discount and rebate amount. I should qualify for Boostup and military. I may try Uber, but not sure it is worth the hassle. I don't see Uber listed much any longer, it may not be available any longer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just make sure you get the best possible deal because the depreciation rate on a Sonata is very,very bad.......good luck / cheers p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts