Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made two videos to document a strange noise which emergedon my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid last Thursday. Car hasn't been touched since then as I went out of town for the weekend, however I'm back and ready to think about this again. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.
I want to avoid taking this to the dealership if at all possible. I've had trouble getting a mechanic to want to work on this, for some reason they seem scared of a hybrid car. (I haven't asked about this particular issue yet, I'm in Aventura, FL if anyone has a recommendation.)
I've been suggested to remove the belts to better isolate the noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this other video, has a similar noise, unfortunately the original poster doesn't actually explain what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arranging to take it to the dealership because I can't work on the engine in my building parking lot. Taking it to a different dealership than the one in which it has always been serviced.

I do have questions about the information I see on this website, however. I'm trying to understand what it means that a software upgrade "is being installed on certain model year..." This suggests not ALL 2011-2013 Sonata Hybrids need the software upgrade, but I can't fathom why they wouldn't all need the software upgrade. This software upgrade at least fixes the knock sensor to detect piston bearing wear. When I look up my VIN I apparently don't need the upgrade. Why?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Every car has knock sensor and the recall specified 2011-13 Sonata Hybrid, your car should be included. Since yours haven't updated, try visiting the dealer for this recall and mention the suspected bearing noise. If the dealer confirm it is the bearing, they will install a new engine.
Ask auto shop to give you a free engine code scan may provide some clues.
Mechanical/Maintenance Forum | Bob Is The Oil Guy
I recommend you sending another post in this forum, these guys replied fairly quick.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It may be the recall issue here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190049-0001.pdf
Or it can be a faulty pulley or tensioner. I believe the 2012 model has dual tensioners like my 2011 has. Best bet is doing what you are doing in this situation, which is bringing it to the dealer. There are 2 belts: a water pump belt and the HSG belt. The water pump has no tensioner if it’s like my 2011, it just is a friction fit. The HSG belt has 2 tensioners though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it has two tensioners I can imagine that it would be difficult to notice it's loose when inspecting the belts or pulleys superficially. My visual inspections did not find any signs of wear or looseness.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would say at this point, a dealership visit is the smart way to get it diagnosed, since the recall includes the 2012 models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with a tech in the service department at a local Hyundai dealership. He seemed very confident that it's the piston rod, which would fall under the extended warranty of the recall. I've got my fingers crossed that this all works in my favor, that Hyundai covers the replacement of the engine block. And when it's all said and done I'm going to sell this Hyundai to the dealership and stick to a more reliable model of used car, like a Honda.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just got off the phone with a tech in the service department at a local Hyundai dealership. He seemed very confident that it's the piston rod, which would fall under the extended warranty of the recall. I've got my fingers crossed that this all works in my favor, that Hyundai covers the replacement of the engine block. And when it's all said and done I'm going to sell this Hyundai to the dealership and stick to a more reliable model of used car, like a Honda.
Good to know, hope you get it covered and sell a good price!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hopefully it's related to the recall at this time, and that they replace your engine under it without any ridiculous out of pocket costs. Good luck and please keep us informed because there will be more people down the road after you that will read this and will want to know the outcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today we picked up a loaner from a dealership. (Not the same one that we had do the original recall inspection.)
I will call Hyundai back next week if we don't hear from them. Thankfully I was driving and not my older mother. She would have had a heart attack. This is extremely disappointing, that they would put us through a superficial and ineffective recall inspection. This feels negligent on their part.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Today we picked up a loaner from a dealership. (Not the same one that we had do the original recall inspection.)
I will call Hyundai back next week if we don't hear from them. Thankfully I was driving and not my older mother. She would have had a heart attack. This is extremely disappointing, that they would put us through a superficial and ineffective recall inspection. This feels negligent on their part.
Any word yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called Hyundai corporate today, ten days after they said they were going to have a case manager call us. They have no update and no information. The dealership was also rather unprofessional. They couldn't give me any documentation about what they had done. Seems so sloppy to me. I'm hoping once I finally get in touch with someone at Hyundai corporate that I can get copies of any reports done on the vehicle, including but not limited to oil analysis which should have been done during the recall inspection several months ago. As far as I know the only document signed is to take out the loaner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I called Hyundai corporate today, ten days after they said they were going to have a case manager call us. They have no update and no information. The dealership was also rather unprofessional. They couldn't give me any documentation about what they had done. Seems so sloppy to me. I'm hoping once I finally get in touch with someone at Hyundai corporate that I can get copies of any reports done on the vehicle, including but not limited to oil analysis which should have been done during the recall inspection several months ago. As far as I know the only document signed is to take out the loaner.
Never heard Hyundai doing a UOA- I guess all they will provide will be the receipt and perhaps a multi point report.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm not liking the direction this is going, nor the time they are taking to resolve it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts