Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife has a 2006 Elantra sedan.86000 miles.No problems with anything.I repeat anything .I installed front pads only and rear shoes only last week.Ever sunce this car is strange.Brakes work perfect.But driving the car seems tio want to be uneven.Seems like the left front will go down and then back up and then the right side does it.Real quirky and it seems to want to weave more than it did.At about 45 it wants to luke bounce back and forth.Really hard to explain.But something is different.I went back and checked all my work and everything is good.Lug nuts are tight wheels arent bent tires are good no seperated lines.power steering fluid is up.No squeaks anywhere.All I did was put brakes on.I rotated the tires thinking that might help.Air pressure is 30 psi all the way around.Like I said ran perfect before I did the brakes.Got any other suggestions.Alignment is ok does not pull.Just wants to go all over.Highway speeds on rough road almost scary.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum Larry. Maybe a suspension issue? How do the shocks look? Any oil leaking or is the car sitting uneven when viewed from behind?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange

I drove home tonight and found out another way to describe the feeling this thing has while driving.I got behind a big truck and had all the buffeting winds following him.This is just about what that car feels like now.Wants to just bounce all over the place.Not a hard bounce but if you have ever gotten behind a big truck while at highway speeds you know.
Another comparison I think comes close is a low rider car.Has that little bounce that seems to keep going like there is no suspension.
The car has no lean and no oil leaking from struts.Sits even at park.

·
Registered
12 Posts
what i have ever experienced was the aborbers.

in my case my car was jacked up to replace clutch plates.hence causing the absorbers to be stretched. ones placed back down 1 of my absorber was stuck.

the possible theory is that it was actually times up for my absorber and this was what triggered it.

for your case when u rotated the tyres, just like in my case the absorbers might have been stretched and probably you have got a absorber jammed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would approach this methodically.

Whatever happened is almost certainly a direct result of something you did while working on the car. It wasn't there before, now it is. Although lightning does strike randomly, more likely that something you touched is causing your issue. The only things you did are mess with the brakes and jack the car up, extending the suspension. So it has to be related directly to one of those things, 95% chance.

Jack the car up. Remove each wheel. Carefully examine the brakes and suspension on each corner of the car. Is anything out of order at all. Something not put back together correctly by mistake, etc.

A blown shock absorber will make the car squirrely on the highway. Usually a bad rear one will be noticeable before a front strut in my experience. With a bad rear shock, the wheel will bounce up and down rapidly as you drive, giving the car a real unsteady feeling. This will be visible if you have someone drive beside you and watch. Get someone to follow you in another car and on a cell phone so you can communicate in real time. When you notice it, have the chase car driver look real close at all four wheels on your car. Is one oscillating up and down rapidly, indicating a blown shock or strut? You may not see oil leaking from just a visual inspection sitting still. Easy to see from outside while you're driving.

A long shot, but I've seen on some cars where the rubber strut mount up front would deteriorate to the point where it would not hold the strut in the tower. It would literally tear out. This could possibly happen if you had the car jacked up and the suspension fully extended and put some stress on it. I don't think this is likely, but it could happen. Look at the rubber strut mounts under your hood, in the strut towers for obvious deterioration.

Check all the common sense stuff. Tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. Give them a critical eye when you have it jacked up and wheels off so you can see real good.

In my experience, the stock rear shocks are a weak point on the Elantras. How many miles on yours? ( sorry, just noticed you said 86k ) If you have 80k miles or more on the original rear shocks, you need new ones. Period. Get some KYB. They are cheap and work well, I changed them out on my car and it made a huge difference. You can do it with basic hand tools.

Front struts are not difficult but are more tedious to change and more expensive as you should always do the strut mounts and bearings when you are in there, and then you have to pay for an alignment too. The rears are cheap, are cake, and are where I'd be looking if I were you after I did a careful visual inspection to rule anything else out first.

Try to give us the most precise description of what happens and under what exact conditions it happens if you can replicate it.

You can go to KYB's site and their catalog will tell you the correct part number for the shocks. I ordered mine from Amazon for less than $50 each with free shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts