Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Accent-ites, I am having an issue and cannot figure out what it is. (Hence why im here)

Basically here is what happens. My car burns a small amount of oil, like a quart per oil change. The issue is not if, but when. In the morning, after the car has been sitting for a while, there is no oil burn, or if I only drive distances of 30 minutes or less. The car will never burn oil. It only burns oil when the car has been running for at least 30 minutes, and (from at least what I can see) when the vehicle is in idle, for at least a minute of two. For example, If i drove an hour, and then was at a stoplight for 2 minutes, there will be a ploom of smoke. Car doesn't overheat, or ping when driving (however I do use premium 93 octane, which would alleviate somewhat, if there was a problem I suppose)

I did do a readout of some temperatures of things internally. Coolant system kicks in at around 208 degrees. Air intake is always somewhere around 84 to 100 degrees. engine loads are all within spec (12% load coasting at 75-80 mph) I don't know the oil temp. I just cant figure out how this thing is burning oil, but not leaking, and why only at certain times, not all the time. I could idle on a cold start for 10 minutes with no smoke.

The only thing I have coupled with this is I get a P0442 (evaporation emissions leak - small) when ive been doing excessive driving, the kind to cause the smoke) Anyone seen this?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
intermittent oil burn...i'm going with valve seals starting to go, maybe rings? just barely.... a quart between changes is nothing really.

many miles on this one? bet there are.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
It's likely that a combination of various minor maintenance items need to be handled. I seriously doubt the 93 octane is doing anything but taking a few extra $$$ out of your wallet every week if the car calls for 87

If I were you I would start by checking for leaks, drips, drops, spatter, crusty old oil and clean it up. Pay special attention to the oil pan and valve cover gasket areas. This will help to identify problem areas in the future.

Next use some name brand oil of the recommended weight. Dont bother with high mileage oil and stick with major brands. I prefer Pennzoil and Quaker State all major brands make a good product.

Check and replace things like pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, coil, air filter as needed as these could lead to poor oil consumption.

Have fun and take your time.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Check and replace things like pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, coil, air filter as needed as these could lead to poor oil consumption.
no. do not replace parts at random. inspect these parts to determine if they need to be replaced. replacing parts just because you can is not fixing anyone's car - its doing a poor job and wasting both time and money.

getting back to the problem here, the only item mentioned that could possibly cause the issue is the PCV. it's all well and good to check for leaks, drips, etc. (and should be done regularly!) but doesn't help the problem at hand.

my advice is to start with a compression test.

and no using 97 octane will do a total of nothing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts