Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. for about the last month or so my car has been making a strange thumping kind of sound that is constant with vehicle speed. slow or fast. changed the rotors, pads, hardware, shoes and machined drums. also has a slight pulsation when coming to a stop. thought it was the tires but they look good. can not find anything wrong. does anyone know what this could be? it is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im going to guess hubs/wheel bearings. Usually a pulse when braking is warped rotors, but you said you replaced those. I'd have the hubs checked for play. And if you've got em off, might as well replace bearings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it similar to check for wear in the balljoints and tie rods? grab the wheel, up and down and side to side?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Correct. Some cases that may not help. Also, lift the front end up and put the car in neutral with the engine off so you can fee wheel the front wheels. If the bearing sound crunchy, time for new ones.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Let us know

It would be extremely helpful to post how you resolved this problem once you have a fix. All too often I find someone posts a problem, others offer advice, and I never find out what actually worked. As a beginner shade-tree mechanic, hearing the end results would be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i have pulled all four wheels again and, still nothing found. i turned the fronts and the backs by hand and they are quiet as can be. no play in the front at all. seems like the noise is getting louder. any other suggestions i can try?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Strange noise...

Do you feel the pulsation in the steering wheel when applying the brakes? If so, rotate the tires from front to rear and try again. If you feel the pulsation in the pedal but not in the steering wheel, tires. From your description and lack of change after replacing all the brake components I would go with a tire problem. Bubble, out of round or a separation in the tread.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts