Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've just bought a new accent 2014 car, I noticed a sound like air escaping coming from the back near the rear wheel, the sounds is continuous, it doesn't stop till the car is turned off, the AC was not turned off, my friend told me that it could the brakes but the sound is coming with and without pushing the brake pedals.
Is this normal for a new car or I should go and got it checked ? If it not normal what could it be ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase..

The sound could be a small exhaust leak in the area of the muffler... My car doesn't do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on the new purchase..

The sound could be a small exhaust leak in the area of the muffler... My car doesn't do it.
Thanks, the sound of the exhaust is normal it is not loud, the sound I'm talking about sounds like a leak, as I know when the muffler is broken the exhaust sound becomes loud, right ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's hard to tell without hearing it, but I'm thinking it could be a pinhole leak on the muffler, or the pipe going to the muffler. Exhaust escaping from a tiny hole can create a high pitched 'air escaping' sound.

If your tires are staying full, then can't imagine what else could be making that noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to tell without hearing it, but I'm thinking it could be a pinhole leak on the muffler, or the pipe going to the muffler. Exhaust escaping from a tiny hole can create a high pitched 'air escaping' sound.

If your tires are staying full, then can't imagine what else could be making that noise.
Thanks for your your reply, the problem is that I can only go to the service center next week, is it ok to use the car for this week ? Or could this cause further damage ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could also be a problem with the fuel cap if the sound is coming from around there, although that would usually cause a CEL. As the engine burns gas and the fuel tank empties, air is drawn in through a check valve in the fuel cap to relieve the vacuum pressure in the tank. But most likely to do with the exhaust as jwt873 said.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Which side at the back? Did you go outside the car and try to find it (while parked), or does it only make the noise while rolling?

·
Registered
34 Posts
We had a similar experience just last week. Turned off the radio and ac/fan to hear better....turned out to be a bottle of coke in the back seat that had the lid slidely loosened...so the carbonation was hissing out slightly! Probably not your problem but just goes to show it isn't always the 'car'. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
maybe try spraying a soapy water solution on the exhaust at the connections (when the car is fully cooled down) to see if it bubbles anywhere at these connections. Will only work until the exhaust heats up then any solution would just evaporate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds reproducible enough that even the dealer mechanics can find it.
If the dealer says "They all do that", then have them show you another new Accent on the lot doing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my Accent at the bottom of the wheel well(where a spare would sit) is a hole to the exterior left uncovered probably to allow water drainage. It could be air noise from this. I only noticed this on mine while putting in a spare tire kit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Slightly off topic, but may help with answering the question....

Are our accents still made in Korea or has Hyundai opened plants at other parts of the world? I think the Sonata is made here in the states and so is Elantra, but not sure about Accent.

Reason I'm asking is because the OP is from Jordan, so his Accent may have been made a different plant and that plant may have different QA standards than say US, hence his car may have a defect or something where the car is made differently there than it is in Korea or the states.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If your VIN starts with KL, KM, KN... etc. to KR, it's made in South Korea. If it starts with a 1 it's made in the USA.

Mine is made in Korea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Would that be the sound of the electric fuel pump? You can test that when the car is cold and you set the key switch to ON but do not crank the engine. The electric fuel pump on the fuel tank activates for about 2-3 seconds, then when you turn on the engine you can heard like a hiss sound not very loud. Every morning I hear it when I leave the driver door open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts