Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late post, but a couple days ago, after letting my car sit for about 16 hours, it was time to go back to work. I started it up my car and started to drive away as normal, got about 1 block and turned back because I forgot my cell phone. Shut the car off got the phone and started the car back up. Immediately the engine was knocking and the idle was so low could hardly run, after about 3-4 second of this it returned to normal. And it been acting normal ever since then.

Anyone experience such such a thing before?

Could this of just bee a strange issue for only running the cold engine a maybe 1-2 minutes before shutting it off and restarting it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
This is what is technically known as a "glitch".

Might be something going south that will cause later problems, but probably just a one-time problem in some sensor, servo, valve, connection, etc. that suffered a momentary startup fault. The brief running time might be a factor. If it doesn't become a habit, I wouldn't worry about it.

- Mark

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoping no issues at only 1000 miles haha..

Guessing it was a one time issue myself but you just never know with all the tech that goes into new cars these days..

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Could this of just bee a strange issue for only running the cold engine a maybe 1-2 minutes before shutting it off and restarting it?
My car did this once before under almost identical circumstances. I try not to shut it off until I've let it run at operating temperature for awhile.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I followed my wife out to get her Sonata's windows tinted. I stopped and waited for her so we could go eat. I'm in the GT and I can't pull out of the parking lot. It felt like the car had next to no power. Then I got going but still hardly any power. I stopped at the next light and again it would try to go as if I was trying to take off in 5th gear. All of a sudden, the car took off and acted normal all the rest of the day. It was 106 degrees, so I knew it was good and warm since I had just got off the freeway when I waited for my wife for maybe 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with markjenn...something probably didnt' "reset" correctly or it was in some weird state from being turned off for such a short period of time.

Or as we call it in my field, "ghosts in the machine".

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My Santa Fe had a weird problem a couple of years ago. It had absolutely no power for a day or two. You could put it to the floor and it seemed to have about 80 horsepower. Turning it off and re-starting changed nothing. A day or two later it returned to normal. Never had a problem since. That was probably about 50,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I did loosen my battery cable while doing a DRL DIY project. It could be that I didn't have the battery disconnected long enough for something to not shut down and restart or reset properly and now having to have the system re-learn again. I drove around again tonight with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts