Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hyundai sonata 2014
car is 3 months old. having electronics problem. twice now, the clock would change time, the trip computer would change setting and you had to enter car with a key. also couldn't enter trunk. i talked to hyundai customer care. this the first time with this issue. it would be a waste of time to take to a dealer on less the problem is duplicated. appreciate any input.
thanks pothound

·
Registered
622 Posts
hyundai sonata 2014
car is 3 months old. having electronics problem. twice now, the clock would change time, the trip computer would change setting and you had to enter car with a key. also couldn't enter trunk. i talked to hyundai customer care. this the first time with this issue. it would be a waste of time to take to a dealer on less the problem is duplicated. appreciate any input.
thanks pothound
Check the shunt fuse in the fuse compartment. There should be an on/off switch, turn it to the on position. It's supposed to be done at the dealer when the cars first arrive from factory.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ah, I may be wrong. The shunt may be the 10&15 amp fuse in the yellow housing that just pushes in. Can't rem off the top of my head. Hyundai's have both styles

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Ah, I may be wrong. The shunt may be the 10&15 amp fuse in the yellow housing that just pushes in. Can't rem off the top of my head. Hyundai's have both styles
Those fuses are AUDIO and ROOM LP. It's worth a check, but an intermittent connection at those fuses would create a different set of symptoms, IMHO.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Pull those fuses and see if your remote works. It won't! I know it says audio and room lamp, but it goes to more than that. Your symptoms are exactly as if the on/off switch was off, but since your vehicle doesn't have that it could be something else. I see Hyundais all day everyday, so it all runs together as to what vehicle has what fuse configuration. My apologies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drove car to restaurant. had lunch, 30minutes later remote would not open car. opened car with key, clock was at 1:00pm trip computer was at trip A, the doors would not unlock, trunk would not open. the same as yesterday. once i put key in ignition it reset it self. also i discovered it only does this after i drive it a short distance. it is cooled down now,so i try it and it works. i hate to take it to a dealer and not create the problem.
thank you again. pothound

·
Registered
746 Posts
Looks like you have narrowed it down to a relative time it happens. Might need to leave the car at a dealer overnight so they can see if it will duplicate on a cold car.

I have seen this problem with my explorer when the battery connections came loose, in my case it was corrosion. In your case it could be a loose batter connection or bad ground on the BCM or loose BCM connection. Pulling a fuse is one way to reset NAV/Radio systems, but an intermittent problem you described points to a different problem source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi i took the car to the dealer and it wouldn't show the problem. a complete waste of time. it didn't happen for 5 days. i mention the audio room lp fuse, no help. is there a field rep i can call?
thank you pothound

·
Registered
622 Posts
hi i took the car to the dealer and it wouldn't show the problem. a complete waste of time. it didn't happen for 5 days. i mention the audio room lp fuse, no help. is there a field rep i can call?
thank you pothound
Unfort that happens a LOT! I prob see at least 5 vehicles a week that will not reproduce the costumers concern. And unfortunately the tech ONLY gets paid when there's a prob to fix. There's not many techs out there that are going to really dig to find an issue when they're possibly not going to get paid. You need to REALLY make a big fuss so someone will make sure a tech is compensated to spend some quality time with your vehicle. I know this "isn't your problem", but in the end, you're paying the price for it. There are field service techs as well the dealership can have come out. If I was you, I'd start will the service manager. If that doesn't work, go to the general manager and so on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Always check your grounds when experiencing these type of problems. Especially if you live where corrosion is a problem, though your car is probably too new for that to be it. Connections have to been clean and shiny, not just touching. The ground is the one thing everything has in common. Hopefully its something that simple.

I troubleshoot electrical for a living and as often as not, the problem won't happen once I show up! Given its glitching all over the car, not just one area, I'd look at grounds, possible damage to wiring harness, or maybe even a bad battery. Any aftermarket electronics been added or other work that could account for a bad connection or damage to wiring?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts