Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the first weekend driving our new 17 SFS (2.0T) and first time using the cruise control. All was was fine until going downhill when the transmission decided to downshift aggressively to hold speed. Going about 100km/h it must have shifted into at least 3rd maybe 2nd as it was holding about 5000+RPM. I quickly turned the cruise off so it would would upshift again but needless to say i was quite surprised.

I used it off an on again and it seemed to be all over the place when downhill. sometimes it would shift aggressively other times not as much. Anyone else have similar experience or issues? I'm not sure if this is an actual issue or if they have for some reason programmed the trans to act this way. Either way pain in the ass and won't likely continue to use the cruise unless on flat land.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what drive mode were you in? I have not had issues in my '18 SFSU w/ Tech, but it has the adaptive cruise. It does brake more than I would like going down hills, but no downshifting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 SFS (2.4) does the same thing when in cruise and going down hill. Service tech told me this was normal. It may be normal but I don't like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just out of curiosity, what drive mode were you in? I have not had issues in my '18 SFSU w/ Tech, but it has the adaptive cruise. It does brake more than I would like going down hills, but no downshifting.

Just in normal mode, I did try Eco but didn't really change anything. After reading a few other forums it seems like others have had similar experience with dealers saying its just the way they've programmed it. Overall vehicle has been a nice upgrade so I will deal with that quirk!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2017 SFS (2.4) does the same thing when in cruise and going down hill. Service tech told me this was normal. It may be normal but I don't like it.
I had a '14 2.4L previously that didn't act that way. Seems very odd they would change the programming when it was working just fine.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Completely normal. Why? Well, working with a brand that does NOT do that.....We have people coming in complaining about the cruise gaining speed going down grades.

You can bypass it by placing the shift lever into the manual position as you crest a hill and start down. . That does mean that you will have to remember to take it out of that position or shift manually once you clear the down grade. It also means that you will have to brake as necessary to keep your speed in line.

Like many of you it is something that I really do not care for, but I have no problem shifting manually in those type of situations so it really doesn't both me.

Reactions: RedStar

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 2013 2.0T does the same thing, it's normal. A bit unsettling the first time, though. I also disengaged cruise control until I was through the hilly area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is this with the adaptive cruise? If anything I'm not too wild about the adaptive cruise being so heavy on the brakes to maintain speed.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
No. Many models with normal cruise control will downshift the transmission to try to reduce excessive speed gain on steep or long downgrades. Again, easily avoided by putting the shift into the manual position for the down grade and then sliding back to drive at the bottom. Just do remember to shift back to drive :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 does this too. Way to aggressive shifting going up hills and down. I shift manual but find my self not using the cruse control because of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts