Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and didn't come across anything, other than a post that sounded a little fishy about a "total hydraulic failure".

Anyway, after driving 100+ miles to Chicago in the rain and sitting thru a meeting for a few hours, I got back in for the return trip and had an issue with the brakes. It only happened 2 times.
First time I applied the brakes coming to a complete stop from about 30 mph, the brakes felt a little different, more akin to a regular brake system (no regenerative feel). I actually had to push a little harder than normal to get the car to stop. And when it did come to a complete stop, the brakes felt like they grabbed real hard, and it made a "braaahhh" sound that resonated thru the car. My buddy that was with me said "what the **** was that?". I said the same thing. It happened once more on the next brake, but it hasn't happened the rest of the day.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's crazy. Mine did the exact same thing 4 times today. 60,000 miles on the car and they've never done that once until today. Just a real loud chatter/vibration noise right at the moment just before the car comes to a stop - maybe one or a half second before.

My only guess is that it was raining and the salt trucks have been pouring loads of salt on the roads all day trying to keeps the roads from freezing??? The brakes were definitely wet though. Thin rust layer on the rotors???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think Eric described it better. It did it one more time yesterday only after I got back to Milwaukee and the car had been sitting for a couple hours. It didn't have any problems when I drove home later in the night though.

Reddog, It almost sounds like the ABS kicking in, but much louder and car came to a stop immediately. I had an 2006 Chevy 1500 that had the speed sensors go bad on the ABS, so it kept kicking in the ABS below 5mph, I just had to keep pushing the pedal harder to get it to actually stop. Nothing like that here though. Mine makes the noise and stops.
Maybe it's an Eric thing and snow/salt!
Thanks for the replies,
Eric

·
Registered
543 Posts
Definitely a much different noise than the ABS makes - although the ABS and traction control have been kicking in at times over the last day or two with all the freezing rain. Been getting some good use out of winter wheel/tire set lately!

It's a very loud "MOAN" and you could feel it resonate through car. You could actually hear the strut springs vibrating for a second after completing the stop. I'm thinking it was just the right combination of speed, friction, moisture, rotor and pad temperature to create a mid frequency "chatter". The hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bike will make an almost identical moaning noise at certain times/speeds, just not that loud.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is definitely not the ABS as that is a completely different feel/noise. I know the ABS kicked in plenty of other time when driving in the snow here.

The few times my car did this same thing was when i was moving the car in the driveway from one side to another or driving it for the first few braking events after it sat overnight in the rain.

Its 33deg and misty this morning and the funny thing is it did it about 15 mins ago in my driveway. I highly doubt it is a problem; I personally am not worried about it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I agree Mike, not a problem at all. My old 1997 truck brakes "moan" often when cold. It was just a bit surprising (and loud!) the first time it happened on the HSH.

FYI, I checked the pads and rotors this morning just for piece of mind and couldn't believe how little wear there was for a car with 60,000 miles on it. Must be the regen braking helps brake wear considerably. These will go +100K without issue on my car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if it keeps doing it I'd consider it a problem. I've never heard brakes make that much noise. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad someone else has experienced this too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree Mike, not a problem at all. My old 1997 truck brakes "moan" often when cold. It was just a bit surprising (and loud!) the first time it happened on the HSH.

FYI, I checked the pads and rotors this morning just for piece of mind and couldn't believe how little wear there was for a car with 60,000 miles on it. Must be the regen braking helps brake wear considerably. These will go +100K without issue on my car.
Yeah I have had different brands and hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles that had this peculiar thing occur and never once had a major problem or was in an unsafe situation. If it was consistent and was occurring 24/7 every time i braked, then it would be at the dealer until they could tell me the exact cause and solution. Otherwise, it only seems to occur when its damp out. Oh well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I told my dealer I had "Brake Farts".... The tech told me he had to order and change a $2000 part....All I know...It was last spring. All fine since.. Something to do with the regererative braking..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts