Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2005 Tiburon GT, I recently had a timing belt break (and wrap madly around the crankshaft). I should have changed the timing belt, I know now in hindsight, but it did make it 180K miles. I got a used 2003 2.7 with 118K on it and DID change the timing belt, water pump, etc. I also had to change the fuel rails and the plenum due to a few changes between 03 and 05. The car fired RIGHT UP first time...but shortly afterward (after test driving it the first time) it developed an idle problem. Instead of idling at 900 rpm, it jumps to 1200...then up to about 2100...then back down to 1200, then back up to 2100. I just need to know which component is the most likely culprit. Any suggestions would be great. (And we still drive our 2001 Santa Fe 220K mi. but its dying...I mortally wounded it towing BIG things lol).

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my 2005 Tiburon GT, I recently had a timing belt break (and wrap madly around the crankshaft). I should have changed the timing belt, I know now in hindsight, but it did make it 180K miles. I got a used 2003 2.7 with 118K on it and DID change the timing belt, water pump, etc. I also had to change the fuel rails and the plenum due to a few changes between 03 and 05. The car fired RIGHT UP first time...but shortly afterward (after test driving it the first time) it developed an idle problem. Instead of idling at 900 rpm, it jumps to 1200...then up to about 2100...then back down to 1200, then back up to 2100. I just need to know which component is the most likely culprit. Any suggestions would be great. (And we still drive our 2001 Santa Fe 220K mi. but its dying...I mortally wounded it towing BIG things lol).

Air leak?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the sensors related to the throttle, intake, etc are from the 2005 engine. I pulled the idle control valve and cleaned it out as well as the two ports that go into the throttle body. Now the idle remains steady, but high around 1200 rpm. I am suspecting the throttle positioning sensor?

·
Registered
13,335 Posts
and I have checked relentlessly for possible vacuum leaks. There are none detectable.

Used a new gasket on the MAF? Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes you can't.

PS: I would gone with a 3.3...;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MAF in the rubber boot between the air filter and the intake. I saw no gasket in there, it one solid unit. But I did spray it out with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
13,335 Posts
The MAF in the rubber boot between the air filter and the intake. I saw no gasket in there, it one solid unit. But I did spray it out with carb cleaner.
Oh. That's different. Never mind (Mine is mounted to the side of the intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the vapor canister purge solenoid (the 2003 engine still had the solenoid attached). It seemed to help temporarily and the idle does fall to about 1000 rpm more frequently than before the switch, but I still can't seem to stabilize the idle or get it to drop back to the normal 900 rpm. Feeling a little stymied here...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts