Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to make a long story short, I lived in Cleveland for two years with my Accent and drove almost daily on a highway that had "speedbumps" on it every 40 feet or so. And then I got a promotion, took the Sonata to Philly and left the Accent with my wife, who "remembers having to hit a couple really bad potholes." So bad that she pulled over and checked out the car...

Now my front suspension is making all kinds of noises mainly on acceleration and right before I get to a stop. The noises sound like someone cracking their knuckles under my hood, if that makes any sense. When I hit a good bump I get a high pitched squeak.

It's a weird noise and almost seems like half-shafts or something not directly related to the suspension. It seems to happen most when the "load" of the car is shifting forward or back. Corners are fine, doesn't make any noise when I'm parallel parking or turning the wheel either way at a stand-still.

I got a flat tire the other night on my way to work. Luckily it got me to work and it held air until I got to the tire shop in the morning. I found an authorized Nexen dealer to go to so that I could get a matching n5000 and bought road hazard for all four tires when I was there. The tire shop checked out my front end while it was on the lift and all they could see was a slightly worn control arm (comes straight down, rubber bushing on the end...) on the driver's side.

I don't have a Hyundai dealer around here that I trust yet. The ones close to me have stupid 3rd party maintenence plans that are rediculously priced, and really there aren't all that many in Philadelphia. I'm thinking of taking it to a dealer in New Jersey, but the're going to see my wheels and blame the jacked up front end on the low-profiles (rightfully so) so I figured I'd ask you guys what you think or if anybody else's suspension is going to ****.

42,000 miles, Manual Transmission, DC Strut brace, Short Shifter, and K&N. 17x7 wheels with 205/40 tires. No springs or suspension upgrades or hackjobs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Can't you swap the OEM wheels to get to the dealer?

Control arm bushings aren't hard to do and only require a puller to get the worn bushing out (which could even come out by itself if worn enough) and big enough C-clamp to press in the new bushing. Usually it's better to replace all the bushings on both sides as they usually wear pretty evenly.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
burn - i looked at that control arm and it's just a little bit tweaked. is it possible that the control arm could be the source of all that noise?
I could swap out the wheels, but they'd know something was fishy since there's big fat firestone winterforce's on there.

mpfive - no leaks, the struts look fine and there's no play in the wheel up and down or side to side.

i wonder if I can tape my flip camera underneath there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts