Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 sonata GLS, is it possible to change the stereo to the upgraded infinity system, looking for a stereo with preamp outs but want to maintain the factory look as much as possible. Don't even know if any of the stock sonata stereos have preamp outs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use the PAC SOEM-T 2 channel one for my set up right now. In the spring I am upgrading the door speakers and tweeters and adding another AMP to power them and will upgrade to a better converter. I don't have any issues with the PAC SOEM-T.. good product..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just add a line output converter or LOC (ex. Audio Control's Lc2i, Lc6i or LCQ-1). There are others as well. They will give you RCA outs and remote turn-on for the amp(s) on a stock radio.

There are differences between them so read up.

Line-Out Converters & Hi-Lo Adapters at Sonic Electronix
I have the audio control LC2i, not impressed with it so far. I have the identical box and subwoofers with a very similar amp in my 2002 Huyndai elantra that sounds much better than the converter in the Sonata. I thought maybe getting a true preamp out from the head unit to the amp would be superior to line level converting a preamp out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You will absolutely get a better sound from an aftermarket unit. My suggestion was based on your request to "maintain the factory look as much as possible". this is one way :)

I went with CompassNav and a LCQ-1.

Sound (fm/xm): 6/10
Sound (mp3/CD): 9/10
Factory Look: 9.99/10

Nav and all other toys: BONUS

Remember LCQ-1 has a built in EQ. This went a long way of bringing the sound stage up and getting those dash tweets further diffused. Improvement in the bass roll off is noticeable and adequate. Rear EQ is what made the most improvements especially after I got the speakers wired out-of-phase. Bass still sounds like coming from behind but, Im working on that :)

You may close match the lights on the aftermarket deck but design of the buttons and unit in general will always look modern compare to the contemporary design of the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the audio control LC2i, not impressed with it so far. I have the identical box and subwoofers with a very similar amp in my 2002 Huyndai elantra that sounds much better than the converter in the Sonata. I thought maybe getting a true preamp out from the head unit to the amp would be superior to line level converting a preamp out.
Remember, each car has different acoustics and each stock head unit' s eq curve is tuned accordingly. Two exact aftermarket systems should sound different in two different vehicles prior to eq. Look at just the size difference between them

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will absolutely get a better sound from an aftermarket unit. My suggestion was based on your request to "maintain the factory look as much as possible". this is one way :)

I went with CompassNav and a LCQ-1.

Sound (fm/xm): 6/10
Sound (mp3/CD): 9/10
Factory Look: 9.99/10

Nav and all other toys: BONUS

Remember LCQ-1 has a built in EQ. This went a long way of bringing the sound stage up and getting those dash tweets further diffused. Improvement in the bass roll off is noticeable and adequate. Rear EQ is what made the most improvements especially after I got the speakers wired out-of-phase. Bass still sounds like coming from behind but, Im working on that :)

You may close match the lights on the aftermarket deck but design of the buttons and unit in general will always look modern compare to the contemporary design of the rest of the dash.
Can the KompassNav be installed in a Sonata GLS I am assuming the CompassNav is from a higher end model maybe a limited or a 2.0
I asked both the parts manager and service manager at the dealer where I bought the car if the stereo system could be upgraded to one another Huyndai stereo they looked at me like I had three heads

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can the KompassNav be installed in a Sonata GLS I am assuming the CompassNav is from a higher end model maybe a limited or a 2.0
I asked both the parts manager and service manager at the dealer where I bought the car if the stereo system could be upgraded to one another Huyndai stereo they looked at me like I had three heads
yes it can. I have it. mine is a GL which is a GLS equivalent. Same radio.

Go to Compass Nav and ask your question(s). installation would have to be done by you or a local shop. Most dealers will not bother with that. Its a 2-3 hours process. Well worth the time and there is a picture installation guide provided.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes it can. I have it. mine is a GL which is a GLS equivalent. Same radio.

Go to Compass Nav and ask your question(s). installation would have to be done by you or a local shop. Most dealers will not bother with that. Its a 2-3 hours process. Well worth the time and there is a picture installation guide provided.
Can you give me a ball park idea of price for the Compass Nav, have been looking on ebay for upgrade stock radios also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you give me a ball park idea of price for the Compass Nav, have been looking on ebay for upgrade stock radios also.
You can request a quote from their website by email. Mine was around a $1000 but with a backup camera. Most of the other alternatives that are $500 and up, that you will find on ebay, will be very likely a waste of money. I would consider this a premium unit. Their only other "true" competitor is Welcome to UNAVi. I have chosen CompassNav over uNavi because it uses Naveteq maps (considered among the best), better looking interface (especially the last update) and more powerful hardware.

Please understand, I'm telling you my opinion, do your research before you make up your mind. It is a lot of money, and time, to spend but makes the car drive a little more special

I know CompassNav support is great and i read here on the forums uNavi is just as good so ask away :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
The compassNav looks nice but why do they such a tall power button? would look 10 times better with a flush button..
Agreed, it is quite tall and restricts access to a small part of the screen, however ergonomically its quite pleasing to grab. An alternative would be to angle the button/knob panel downwards. This way you get the best of both worlds.

Its designed to mimic the OEM version of the radio however that version has a smaller screen and the problem does not exists as much

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hi Tommy!

From the next shipment, all our kits will have the low profile power button. :)

While customers are generally very happy with our systems, we felt we could improve this aspect following customer's recommendation.

Have a good day!

Charles

The compassNav looks nice but why do they such a tall power button? would look 10 times better with a flush button..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Tommy!

From the next shipment, all our kits will have the low profile power button. :)

While customers are generally very happy with our systems, we felt we could improve this aspect following customer's recommendation.

Have a good day!

Charles
NICE!!! do you have any pics of the new design? Im sure A LOT of us are interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts