Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!, I'm looking for suggestions on speaker upgrades to a stock 2017 Elantra Value Edition. Just know that I'm 60ish mechanical guy and listen to 70/80/90's rock (Deep Purple, April Wine, Van Halen, Foo Fighter's, etc). I'm not looking for louder; I'm looking for cleaner, higher definition sound. I ordered some Rockford Foxgate 1675X2's, and basically hung one on the back door. It definitely has more high end (stock is just a woofer), but bass is lower than stock. Granted, this was a ten minute test, and I just reinstalled the original. Maybe it needs broken in? I can fabricate a spacer. The factory speaker looks pretty good; rubber surround, probably 4-5 oz magnet- pretty well optimized for the car. At this point, I'm thinking of leaving the woofers alone, and just replace the front door tweeters with 1" domes. Or find a better optimized woofer (Dayton?) Looking for recommendations. Thanx!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Never had much improvement over the years, in replacing a stock speaker with an aftermarket speaker of the same exact size and have the test equipment to prove it. Honest people at Crutchfield will tell you the same thing.

When speakers were installed on each side of the dash, been kicked out because of air bags, on many vehicles, no choice unless you wanted to remove your MVAC system components. Finding a flat surface on the so-called package tray, that flat surface under the rear window, was one good spot for two 6 by 9" full range speakers with an auxiliary amplifier.

On my 88 Supra got by with a 10" full range speak mounting that on a remade spare tire cover, cardboard is not good to mount a heavy speaker to, but I had to make a special bracket to hold the full size spare tire down after I turned it over so the speaker would fit. Some people add enclosures, but where to you put your luggage or groceries. Supra just had two 4" speakers in the door, and two 5" speakers, in the rear seat sides.

With unibody vehicles that package tray is nothing but flat, if you cut into it, may get killed if rear ended by a drunk. And really can't do much with the doors if you want to roll your windows down.

Really can get good range and bass, with a good set of headphones, but illegal for the driver to wear them. Bet not illegal to install a 5000 watt system if done with great vehicle modification, like spending over $25,000.00, but only last as long as your vehicle before road salt rusts it out.

I paid a couple of bucks extra for the Infinity sound system to learn if it was worth it or not. Use to bring an 8-track tape, cassette, or a CD, this time I brought along and USB MP3 stick to listen to the sound system before I laid down cash.

Sound system is just the opposite of kids, should be heard, not seen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't want to invest much into a car I will probably trade in a couple years. Considering some woofers at Parts Express, trying the JBL's recommended at Crutchfield, or just leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Ironically with old school, many believe the only great sound comes from a tone cartridge needle bouncing on a vinyl record amplified by a non-linear 12AX7 vacuum tube.

If pounding on a bass drum is your thing, the resonate frequencies are in the 150 Hertz range, so really don't need 20" speakers, but will get sound waves above 85 DVM that will cause permanent ear damage.

If voice news is your thing, best speaker to get for the clearest sound is a 4 inch.

Knew people where the only good music came from a 1927 windup Edison phonograph, all depends what you are use to.

Some people believe the more speaker you have the better, but a such thing as acoustical phase distortion. Some waveforms will be in phase, giving you twice the sound volume, others 180 degrees out of phase will be completely canceled out. All others in between, all kinds of phase distortion.

Air bags kicked speakers out of the dash, doors are the only place, if your ankles only had ears. Water can seep in between the window and weather strip, damaging your speakers. Don't slam your car doors in the cold, all those wires to the door can break, no speakers, no power window or door locks, power mirrors or child safety locks.

Must have a response of 20-20KHz in your system, bass drum or that lowest notes of a piano, only occur at a frequency at 150 Hz but at a 16Hz rate, you only need a low end of 150 hertz to hear just about everything except the low 30 Hz note of a 32 foot organ tube. Really not much above 5KHz unless your like hisss.

Audiophiles will tell you, you have the worse audio system in the world unless you move your left speaker two inches to the right.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
217 Posts
Okay here's something you should know....
Hyundai's headunits are awful. If u take out the headunit it'll have a stamp of the Hz. Mines was 87Hz - 120Khz.

Bass response lacks, fullness lacks, treble lacks. I bought aftermarket infinity amps and speakers and it ain't do much EXCEPT connecting to it directly via Bluetooth made me extremely happy. A better headunit alone would change things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your experience. I'm probably leaning towards just changing tweeters, and sending back the speakers I bought.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Talk about cheap, latest power amplifiers are class D, works on the same principle of switch mode power supplies. low frequencies converted to super high frequencies to substantially reduce the size of components.

For like a cell phone charger, no longer a conventional heavy iron core/copper wall wart charger. Using high frequency techniques, a wall charger is no larger than a U-ground to two pole AC receptacle adapter.

Same with audio, low frequencies are chopped up, transistors in switch mode dissipate practically no power, amplified,, high frequencies only requires one tiny capacitor to convert back to audio. And the amplifier dissipation is next to zero. With conventional audio amplifiers, same heat your speakers were dissipating were dissipated by the amplifier requiring huge heat sinks and your built in CD player was more like a CD toaster. Class D ampliers do not need any heat sinks, are all integrated circuits and cost nothing to manufacture, not like huge metal TO-3 transistor packages. But yet when you purchase a car radio, really get robbed to death, early car radios had hand wound inductors, that were motor driven, mechanical monstrosities.

Today the entire AM FM tuner, demoduator is one 49 cent chip, made in the millions, no more chrome push buttons, a touch screen, printing press operation, dirt cheap, but yet they want an arm and both legs for these things, GPS only requires two 69 cent chips, but with some vehicles if you want GSP, uses the radio for the more expensive power supply, but yet they want up to $2,000.00 for this option.

Ha, back in 1965, it cost GM $2.35 cents to manufacture a two coil not long lasting voltage regulator with inflation today over $19.13, but this was put in a fully loaded $5,000.00 Buick loaded for only $2,700.00.

Today that same voltage regulator not even in a separate housing cost 67 cents to manufacture even with inflation. but that new vehicle weighing half as much is priced at over $45,000.00. Something is really wrong here. This is only one part, other 10,00 are the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts