Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I found the very first thing I don't like about my Tucson.

At a stop light on the way to work, the guy in front of me apparently decided he wanted to be in the other lane, but there was someone where he wanted to be. He threw his car in reverse and started to back up. I was fairly certain he was going to smack my front bumper, so I hit my horn for the very first time since I took ownership.

Wow, that stock horn is sad. It wasn't a "hey, LOOK UP!" sound. It was the most pitiful, underwhelming whine I think I've ever heard come out of a vehicle. I felt like apologizing for it. The only reason I think he stopped was because it sounded like he surprised a goose.

I know I saw a post somewhere on this forum a month or so back about changing out the stock horn, but I don't see it now and it didn't come up in the search. Can someone re-link it? Or has anyone else changed out that sad little stock horn for something that might not make other motorists lose control of their vehicle due to laughter?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah Pretty Pathetic for a horn if you ask me :(
That thread about changing out the horn was under a different title here, I think? Thats probably why you can't find it. It sounds a little complicated to do also.
It doesn't go "Beep, Beep", it goes "Cheap, Cheap" instead,,,lol
If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I changed my horn over to air horns. The factory horn is behind the front bumper,the alarm horn is mounted to the right side strut tower. I removed the plastic anchors that hold the top of the front bumper and removed the 2 8mm bolts on top near the headlight. I was then able to reach my hand inside from the top and unbolt the factory horn and remove it. You can replace the horn with one of the same size and fit it back in it's original mounting. I opted to mount my air horns behind the left side wheel well plastic cover and the compressor in the engine compartment near the left side headlight. I used a relay of course. Well worth the difference in sound. The factory horn is a bit of a joke. My wife's 07 Elantra has a tougher sounding horn.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (EmilyB @ Jul 14 2010, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341702
This morning, I found the very first thing I don't like about my Tucson.

At a stop light on the way to work, the guy in front of me apparently decided he wanted to be in the other lane, but there was someone where he wanted to be. He threw his car in reverse and started to back up. I was fairly certain he was going to smack my front bumper, so I hit my horn for the very first time since I took ownership.

Wow, that stock horn is sad. It wasn't a "hey, LOOK UP!" sound. It was the most pitiful, underwhelming whine I think I've ever heard come out of a vehicle. I felt like apologizing for it. The only reason I think he stopped was because it sounded like he surprised a goose.

I know I saw a post somewhere on this forum a month or so back about changing out the stock horn, but I don't see it now and it didn't come up in the search. Can someone re-link it? Or has anyone else changed out that sad little stock horn for something that might not make other motorists lose control of their vehicle due to laughter?

Horns are very simple electrical devices--2 terminals, one to the wire on the factory horn, the other terminal to ground. Many auto parts stores carry replacement horns. If you pick a horn with a large current draw you probably want to use a relay so that the horn switch carries only a small current and the relay provides full current to the horn(s).

Post your location and perhaps a member here would be able to help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts