Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know the stock horn sounds lame inside the car, especially when you feel somebody is drifting into your lane. Fortunately, standing outside it is actually quite loud and annoying. If you don't believe me try this simple test I devised: Tell your spouse, significant other or friend that you have a scratch on the front bumper that you want them to check out. When they bend over to look, blow the horn. If they jump and come up screaming at you the horn is just fine. :grin:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that you are the kind of guy that would lock your wife and dog in the trunk and expect them both to be happy to see you when you pop open the hood a couple of hours later.... LOL

·
Registered
717 Posts
It took me almost 2 weeks after I bought it to use the horn because I was afraid it was to weak. Well its not weak. It does just fine for the size of this car.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well, following the OP's advice I tested my horn in the manner described.

Now I have to pay for a dry cleaning bill.

But, I do know that the horn works!

:whistling:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Jul 16 2010, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342294
Well, following the OP's advice I tested my horn in the manner described.

Now I have to pay for a dry cleaning bill.

But, I do know that the horn works!

:whistling:
Awesome. Glad I could be of assistance!

Seriously I had no idea the horn was that loud...

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Jul 16 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342286
Why do I get the feeling that you are the kind of guy that would lock your wife and dog in the trunk and expect them both to be happy to see you when you pop open the hood a couple of hours later.... LOL
how dare anyone lock their dog in their trunk! :ph34r:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Actually the stock horn IS weak and it DOES suck. I guess if you're beeping at pedestrians standing in front of your car, it will suffice. But in any other situation, it is insufficient.

And if who you are beeping at is listening to their radio.... forget about it

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have had a few occasions to use my horn since I got my car. I can tell you that I'm pretty sure the other cars did not hear the horn judging from the reaction. IMHO the horn is clearly inadequate. I plan to change mine out when the new stock horn becomes available - regardless of whether I have to pay.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Why don't you go do a survey of the other drivers in their cars and see how many actually heard you meep meep them. Then get back to all of us that felt they HAD to replace the horns on their cars for safety reasons.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 16 2010, 06:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342345
Why don't you go do a survey of the other drivers in their cars and see how many actually heard you meep meep them. Then get back to all of us that felt they HAD to replace the horns on their cars for safety reasons.

Yeah... that's a great idea... a survey... I'll get right on that..... :thumbsup:

Seriously... read the part...IMHO IN MY HUMBLE OPINION... the horn sucks.... I don't figure that Hyundai will replace it... and I won't lose any sleep over that. I WILL however spend a few bucks of my own if necessary to fix the issue.

Or... am I missing your point? Did you replace your horn? Or was that just a (good natured?) slam on me for feeling my horn needs an upgrade.

No offense intended :beer:

·
Registered
486 Posts
jsmit86...I am sorry if you thought my comment was directed your way, IT totally was not. I could not agree with you more on the need for Sonata horn replacement. Yes ,I too found the need to perform this upgrade. The horn dose more than just Suck, it is a safety concern as built.
I cannot take the Watanabe owners preaching to the have been there's. I can just scream... :wallbash: .

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 16 2010, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342383
jsmit86...I am sorry if you thought my comment was directed your way, IT totally was not. I could not agree with you more on the need for Sonata horn replacement. Yes ,I too found the need to perform this upgrade. The horn dose more than just Suck, it is a safety concern as built.
I cannot take the Watanabe owners preaching to the have been there's. I can just scream... :wallbash: .

No worries! Sometimes it's hard to get the meaning from a post.

I agree that the horn is an issue. I also doubt that we will see a recall. If we are lucky, Hyundai will upgrade the horn for those who complain.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Jul 16 2010, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342286
Or the type of guy that would secretly turn on the seat warming switch, and watch his
wife growing more and more uncomfortable.

But the OP has a good point. Don't judge a horn from the cabin. Ideally, you shouldn't
be able to hear the horn at all from the cabin. Best way is to stand out in the open
20-30 feet from the car, and have someone honk it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>> Don't judge a horn from the cabin. Ideally, you shouldn't
be able to hear the horn at all from the cabin. Best way is to stand out in the open
20-30 feet from the car, and have someone honk it. >>>>

I respectfully disagree. Yes your test will let you know maybe how far away it can be heard, Meep, Meep.

But in the real working world if the person in the next car with their windows up, maybe fan on medium, talking to a passenger or listening to the radio, Will not be able to be alerted to a pending crash into your car causing massive damage and possible DEATH. I am sorry, if it is preventable then why not take all possible steps to make it so. I would not wish any bad will to wards anyone.... Only my opinion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with the previous post. What good is a horn that "ideally" you can't hear? That doesn't make sense. Like i said before, maybe if you're beeping at pedestrians standing in front of you, but that's it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was back at my dealers on Thursday and the sale manager called me over and said, didn't you say you didn't like the horn on your Sonata.......

I said yes and before I could say anything else, he had reached into his pocket and pressed the remote to hear a resounding BEEP BEEP

He said you were right no matter what my boss says.... I replaced mine with an Acura horn... LOL

When the sales manger changes the horn, I do believe we have a righteous issue. :grin:

·
Registered
486 Posts
. ..
The alarm horn is different and is mounted on the right front strut tower, But it is week also, but not a safety problem in my eyes. Like someone else had done, I transfered the car horn ( mounted between grill and a/c-rad) to the alarm buzzer spot. ( it sounded more like a buzzer to me than Horn) Thus completing second upgrade.

·
1,914 Posts
I have kind of a funny story to share regarding the horn...

Friday, they sold a GLS with PEP, therefore it doesn't have proximity key. Well the car was a dealer trade and didn't have a key tag but it did have the remote. The remote's are usually put in the packet until they are sold. Anyway, I knew the car was a hyundai and I went outside and I kept pressing the lock button to find it. I hear it, but it sounded so weak I was thinking it was an Accent. I couldn't find it so I walk back towards our shop pressing the panic button and there it was the Sonata! I couldn't believe how horrible it sounded when I was hitting the lock button. My dad's Elantra is louder and stronger and my Santa Fe's would just blow it away. I did laugh when I found the car though.

When do the new horn upgrades come out? We are getting cars that were built in late June and still no change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts