Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to make few changes to a speaker set in the car, because it sound pretty bad. But at the same time I would like to avoid changing a stock deck unless I really have to.

I don't really listen music loudly (ok, rarely). I just want to have a good quality sound so:

1. I would like to know how many watts does a stock audio system in Hyundai Accent 2011 (MC) outputs?
  2. Is it going to be sufficient to support 4 good speakers?
  3. Should I install extra twitters?
  4. Any suggestions on sound quality upgrade?
P.S: I am not planning to use a sub (don't really like low frequency music) I just want a really crisp sound coming out of speakers.

Thanks!

350 Posts
You can replace the head unit and add the tweeter kit and do nothing more- and you'll have far better sound in that car.

Wattage isn't a big deal unless you're talking about a huge difference. In a loud car like the Accent, you're not likely to hear the difference between 25w and 50w, so nearly every replacement head unit is fine.

If you want to go further, make the car quieter next. Roofing tape on the floorboards and the insides of the door skins can go a long way to knocking down car noise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would strongly recommend changing the head unit first. From what I have learned on this forum, factory head units are set to push most of the sound frequencies to the front speakers, no matter what the fader settings are set to. I put some Pioneers in the back of my Accent and there was really no difference at all. Once I replaced the head unit, they came to life. I looked on the factory radio I removed, but it had no mention of wattage output. I assume it is fairly low, and not enough to drive any decent aftermarket speaker upgrade. Do you already have the factory tweeters? If so, I am unsure why you would want to add more. Change the deck, and see what you think. You could always change the speakers later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I understood from your responses I got it this a bit wrong.

Bottom line I should change deck first and then worry about speakers, twitters and such.

Any suggestions for deck and speakers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ad unit is the #1 issue, but if you don't want to change it, there's a couple options. The best one is to get a sound processor like the Rockford 3sixty.3 or Audison bitone, along with amps (or a single multi channel amp) to power the factory speakers. This will give you exceptional sound (even better than a head unit & amps)
This is, however, brutally expensive.. ($1200+ depending on amps and what dsp you get)
The upside is that you have your factory head unit with aftermarket quality sound.

As for a second option.. Basically imagine doing the work of a processor.. By hand.... Not worth it. Too much work

As for your questions, (well, a couple) don't get new speakers unless you've already upgraded the head unit, or have a sound processor + amps. Also, you never need extra tweets. If you get aftermarket speakers, get splits/components/separates/whatever they're called in your area. The tweeters are separated from the mid, and you can place them properly so the sound gets to your ears from an optimal position. Components also often come with good crossovers, so you could run 4 channels instead of 6 (you'd only need one 4 channel amp instead of a 4 and a 2 for your factory tweets (or a 6 channel.. If they exist.. I think they do.. Is been a while since I've done car audio)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
IMO, speakers first. Most factory speakers are cheap and adequate at best. Best example, try different headphones on the same player. World of difference with better speakers/drivers.

I kept my factory headunit but replaced the door speakers and added a sub. Worth every penny and didn't break the bank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand your logic silver, but it doesn't quite work that way. (yes, speakers would help a bit, but not much)
The first issue is impedance. Factory speakers are often 1 ohm, or 1.5(sometimes 2 or 3, but for argument's sake, let's just sit around 1.5.) The factory head unit is made to power factory speakers. When you put in aftermarket speakers, (which are generally 4 ohm) the factory deck/amp is getting overworked just trying to push out the same volume as before. You'll often notice that you need to turn the volume up much higher than before just to hit a comfortable listening level. This means you're amping the signal more and more, so you'll actually clip the deck/amp much earlier, which in turn kills your sound quality. Even if you don't clip, your quality at higher volumes will be degraded.
You are also stuck with whatever audio processing your deck is preset with, which is generally pretty shitty. (there are exceptions, but Hyundai systems are not one) this also means that the factory deck decides what speaker gets what range of audio. (generally tolerable, but not optimal, ESPECIALLY when you add a sub to the equation, as you are unable to high-pass the midrange speakers)
Speaking of subs, wiring a sub into a factory system generally entails using a low pass with signal from 1 rear speaker. This gives you bass from one channel, not two. This signal is also sloppy, as you're just piggybacking of a factory output.

Sorry if I come off as a dick, it is not my intention. I just want to try and educate you guys a little.. To many consumers make poor calls when it comes to aftermarket audio, and most people don't care enough to correct them

PS: factory speakers generally push out tolerable sound quality (better than many aftermarket ones,) they just can't handle high power, as they are made of paper usually, not plastic/rubber/fabric/etc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Codebreaker speaks the truth. Aftermarket speakers are only as good as the amount of power you feed them. Meirka, pretty much any deck you put in will be an upgrade, so go with one with features you find useful to you. Do you want single DIN or double DIN? Do you listen to am/fm radio a lot? Then find a unit with a better tuner. I got the Kenwood because it had the most RMS power output. If you go to crutchfield dot com, they have tons of info on different models that will fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the rest of the deck, as power isn't everything. Most decks are around 50w/chanel
High end Kenwood decks sound great)(make sure they have "sound excellence"
Very high end pioneer decks can be exceptional as well.
Stay far far away from alpine and clarion.

350 Posts
Stay far far away from alpine and clarion.
Might be something to that- I put an alpine in ours, but I had to do it twice as the first one was defective. The replacement has worked great for over a year now.

From my experience it might be fair to say Alpine has some quality issues, but I love the controls! Every other brand has cheap plastic buttons and knobs with no feel to them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad you finally got a good one.
Alpine is a step above clarion tho, because clarion has even worse qc.
Neither brand gas exceptional sound quality. To each their own tho

350 Posts
I'm glad you finally got a good one.
Alpine is a step above clarion tho, because clarion has even worse qc.
Neither brand gas exceptional sound quality. To each their own tho
I reckon for a loud and nasty bugcar like the Accent, I won't hear any difference. :)

Seriously though, the quality of this alpine deck is all in the buttons & knobs feel and display quality. I can't say I've seen anything else this good at either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A bit off topic, but I didn't realize Alpine had QC issues. I'm just curious, were these Alpine issues with lower end units? I've used the same alpine head unit in a couple different cars, and it's worked beautifully. It was a mid range model when I bought it in 2006 or 2007, and retailed for $500.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a JVC and it's actually fantastic. I was going to get a Kenwood, but the model was discontinued before I had the money to pay for it. I went for the JVC (which actually got better reviews, oddly enough) and haven't second guessed my choice yet. Well, that's not entirely true. If I had to do it over I would have kept the double din setup and gone touchscreen, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the unit. Regardless, I know the speakers in the Accent aren't the greatest but the sound is pretty decent. I went for the Arsenal unit, btw. Everything I've read says if you're going to go with JVC go with their Arsenal brand.

Also, my girl has an Alpine, and it sounds pretty good too. She got hers in 2010. Never had a problem with it, so I can't say anything about QC, but it was a lower end unit and its held up pretty well so far.

·
Registered
81 Posts
JVC owns the KENWOOD now... so i think JVC is a good options against KENWOOD...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts