Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had first 10k service (£142.00). Apart from the whirring headlight motor and dodgy radio reception, my biggest gripe was a stiff throttle pedal.

Am I alone here, or have other members experienced pedal stiffness?
With my previous car - a Ka, I would just lay my foot on the pedal in idle and apply just a little pressure for the revs to begin to gradually increase.

With my i10, if I apply a little pressure - nothing happens. A little more pressure - still nothing happens. More and more pressure - and then whoosh! Up it goes to 1500 rpm. Just can't encourage it to gradually increase to a steady 1000. It seems to lack finesse and fine control.

This makes creeping in slow traffic rather challenging. The garage said although the throttle is 'notchy', they could find nothing wrong. But they would enquire with 'Technical' about this.

With the ignition off, if I depress the accelerator up and down with my hand I can certainly feel what they described as 'notchy'. It feels a bit like lots of tiny bumps in the cable's travel - but that wouldn't account for the stiffness of operation from 'off' to 'on'.

Do other members have any issues with the accelerator pedal smoothness - or is it just me that has a stiff one - if you'll pardon the expression!

Ed

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Aug 31 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353228
Just had first 10k service (£142.00). Apart from the whirring headlight motor and dodgy radio reception, my biggest gripe was a stiff throttle pedal.

Am I alone here, or have other members experienced pedal stiffness?
With my previous car - a Ka, I would just lay my foot on the pedal in idle and apply just a little pressure for the revs to begin to gradually increase.

With my i10, if I apply a little pressure - nothing happens. A little more pressure - still nothing happens. More and more pressure - and then whoosh! Up it goes to 1500 rpm. Just can't encourage it to gradually increase to a steady 1000. It seems to lack finesse and fine control.

This makes creeping in slow traffic rather challenging. The garage said although the throttle is 'notchy', they could find nothing wrong. But they would enquire with 'Technical' about this.

With the ignition off, if I depress the accelerator up and down with my hand I can certainly feel what they described as 'notchy'. It feels a bit like lots of tiny bumps in the cable's travel - but that wouldn't account for the stiffness of operation from 'off' to 'on'.

Do other members have any issues with the accelerator pedal smoothness - or is it just me that has a stiff one - if you'll pardon the expression!

Ed
Clearly you have a problem.
You would expect this to be picked up on the service and steps taken to put it right.
The accelerator on my i10 is very soft and responsive just as you would expect it to be.
Don't be fobbed off this is a safety issue.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My accelerator is very sensitive, but I think most i10 owners have that issue (wouldn't really call it an issue, more of a characteristic). But it's not notchy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think that this has been mentioned in a much earlier thread. The two causes described were a slack cable (it's adjustable) and a dry cable (lubricate it). I experienced a whiff of this, mentioned it to the dealer at service time and it was corrected. In my case, I think that the problem was lubrication.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts