Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
I pulled the handbrake on until i couldn't get it to go up anymore and then it only just held on a steep drive. Then it was very difficult to get the handbrake off again, so that can't be good for the handbrake cable. Wife certainly would struggle to get it off. Like you say though pads and disks would not have bedded in through.

The other thing we noticed was a loud suspension creek coming from the near side front of the car when we went over a couple of speed ramps, mainly coming off the ramp. The car is a 17 plate and only done 5000 miles so what is this likely to be down too, low use?
Hello Gazza
I have the same issue, my wife and I both use the car and if I pull up the hand brake enough to stop the car rolling on our drive, then my wife uses the car next and cant release the H/brake.
What I have to do is stop the car with the foot brake switch the engine off and put it in gear with my foot still on the brake then apply the hand brake. of course as soon as she puts her foot on the clutch to start the car it starts to creak and slowly roll forward. I will soon be ringing the dealer to book it in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looking on the internet it's not just i10 that people complain about with rear discs there are lots of other makes including Honda Jazz. I prefer rear drums myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Following other comments on sticking rear brakes took my I10, 18000 miles from September 66, to S G Petch in Middlesbrough, who after an inspection ordered and fitted replacement rear pads under warranty with no query. Not been in long enough to check whether problem solved but here is hoping.

At the same the windscreen washers, front and back, also replaced under warranty with no problems.

Good results.

JFC

·
Registered
2 Posts
very good nice post

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Gazza
I have the same issue, my wife and I both use the car and if I pull up the hand brake enough to stop the car rolling on our drive, then my wife uses the car next and cant release the H/brake.
What I have to do is stop the car with the foot brake switch the engine off and put it in gear with my foot still on the brake then apply the hand brake. of course as soon as she puts her foot on the clutch to start the car it starts to creak and slowly roll forward. I will soon be ringing the dealer to book it in.
Spoke to a Hyundai salesmen who purchases a i10 SE Go 3 months ago for his wife, she has only done 600 miles mainly short 8 mile round trips 3 days a week and one of the rear brake calipers is binding and squealing. The car is parked 4 day a week with the hand brake on. He is having the i30 pads fitted now which is the modification they do for cars that are showing signs of the pads sticking. They should recall all I10's for this really. He also said the brakes are really sharp he is not used to them at all, nearly put in through the front screen! This coming from a Hyundai salesmen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Quick visit

Hi guys

Just thought I would pop in and see how you are all doing!

I see the brake problem is still dragging along. :crying2:

The Jag is running purrrfectly and does 31 mpg on a run, that is only just a few less than the i10 ever gave me while it was dragging it's brakes along!

As you know I live in Wales, lots of mean hills to drive up! The i10 used to get up Nantgarw Hill quite well all things considered but if I select 3rd gear on the auto box in the Jag and give it a bit of gas the word missile comes to mind.

Whoooosh, 6mpg shows on the dash followed by a growly noise from the exhaust! Yay, what fun! >:D

Right, better go now or Bazza will be on my heals again!

All the best guys
fisjon

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have been informed by DVSA that Hyundai have recognised a problem following a number of complaints of locking/sticking rear brakes.
Hyundai have developed a new compound for the brake pads and these are now ready for supply into service.
If you have had a problem with your rear brakes notify your dealer and ask for the new compound pads to be fitted on the warranty.
I have had new pads, discs and calipers replaced on the warranty at year 3. Normally brakes are only covered up to 2 years or 20,000 miles.
Don't take no for an answer. The old pads ruin the discs, the discs heat up and affect the calipers, accept no less than compete renewal.
If you have already paid for new rear brakes, get your money back and replacement.
If you have any trouble with your dealer contact Shanice Mitchell at Hyundai Executive team.
Hi,
I'm having really similar problems with my Hyundai, and was wondering what you meant by the DVSA have confirmed that they've modified their brake pads. I have emailed the DVSA but they just sent me a link to a page where I can look into what cars have been recalled and I know that the Hyundai i10's haven't been recalled.
I'm really struggling to get through to Hyundai and convince them that I shouldn't be the one to pay for a fault that's not my own! any advice would be really amazing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hi,
I'm having really similar problems with my Hyundai, and was wondering what you meant by the DVSA have confirmed that they've modified their brake pads. I have emailed the DVSA but they just sent me a link to a page where I can look into what cars have been recalled and I know that the Hyundai i10's haven't been recalled.
I'm really struggling to get through to Hyundai and convince them that I shouldn't be the one to pay for a fault that's not my own! any advice would be really amazing!
Hi,
There has been without doubt a fault with the rear brake set up on the i10. Oldbazza70 will tell you that there isn't a fault because his i10 is ok, ignore him!

To cut a long story short, my i10 was faulty from the first day I bought it new. My local dealer, Hutchins at Pontypridd just ignored my protests until the right hand rear brake seized up solid outside my house and I got in touch with DVSA. DVSA in turn contacted Hyundai who told DVSA that pads with new compound were now in service to rectify the fault. (Follow the thread down from the first post and you will find a copy of a letter to me from DVSA to download).

The following day a truck arrived and took my car away. Hutchins had it for three days and returned it with new calipers, discs and pads fitted for free on the warranty. The first time I used the car the right hand rear brake was smoking hot.

I was so pissed off with the whole thing I sold the car back to the dealer at a loss to me and bought an S-Type Jaguar. When I go to the Jaguar dealer they call me Sir! I find that refreshing.

Get in touch with Shanice Mitchell at [email protected] if she does not help you sort it out let the world know, get it in the press that Hyundai are allowing people to drive cars with faulty brakes, or just get positive with your dealer. Good luck!

And don't forget, ignore Oldbazza70 because his car is OK. :smile:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Rexi10,
Just to put you in the picture. Hyundai have admitted to DVSA that they have had 'a small number of similar reports', regarding sticking brakes.

They have also stated to DVSA that a new compound for the brake system has been developed and is now ready to supply into service. Don't let any-one at Hyundai, dealer or head office, tell you any different, or for that matter, don't let any clever clogs on this forum put you off getting it sorted. Hyundai have made the statement! .

I have Posted the letter from DVSA on this forum in an earlier post on this thread. Print it out and take it to the dealer and if they don't replace the worn parts free of charge notify DVSA, Hyundai head office and the press if necessary. You are entitled to new parts as the old ones are not fit for purpose.

I put up with the same kind of poor performance from my dealer (Hutchings of Pontypridd) for three years until I stirred things up with their head office and DVSA. Eventually I got new discs, pads and calipers free of charge.

Nobody should have to go through crap customer service like you and I have done.

Like you I have made the decision to get rid of the i10. I took it back to the dealer and he offered me 5K for it. I snatched his hand off and even made him give me a lift home! I now own a 19 year old Jaguar S-Type 3.0 SE Auto that is in showroom condition with only 14,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner pampered it, kept it garaged and hardly used it. I drove it back from Swindon where I bought it and it was like floating on air.

Good luck with your new car!:wink:

From the above quote from page 3 of this thread you implied that you had got the problem fixed free of charge, but still chose to sell the car back to the dealer. Yes I have no problems yet with my rear brakes possibly because the car is not left out too long without use for the discs to rust. I still like to get information and this thread has made me keep an eye on the brakes in case problems develop. There hasn't been a recall because there has only as quoted been "a small number of similar reports" and recalls are only issued for major safety reasons. If this had been a major widespread problem with regard to safety I'm certain there would have been a recall.

From what I've read they seem to be fitting pads off the i30 to solve this problem. Anyway dealers are addressing rear brake problems that do develop, but like everything else not all dealerships are on the ball and some won't take the time to check.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just to update you all, I had my i10 go serviced yesterday 2yr 14,423 miles and I complained about the brake sticking problem, initially they pretended not to be aware of the issue but I insisted that there was a TSB on the problem and I expected them to sort it out.
I got a phone call latter while the car was in the garage, they said that they had checked out the issue and were replacing the pads under warranty, all good but then they told me the front pads were 90% worn would I like them changed as well? After just 14,000 miles? At a cost of £117.
No! I said.
My logic being that my last i10 did 30,000 miles on the first set of pads, my wife and I are not racing drivers whats changed?
I'm going to look again at the excellent post by frupi detailing how to identify and fit a set of pads. I may get a free brake check at Quick Fit to confirm the wear first.

So good work fsjohn and thanks.

I will post again later on to report whether the H/brake sticking problem is solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Just to update you all, I had my i10 go serviced yesterday 2yr 14,423 miles and I complained about the brake sticking problem, initially they pretended not to be aware of the issue but I insisted that there was a TSB on the problem and I expected them to sort it out.
I got a phone call latter while the car was in the garage, they said that they had checked out the issue and were replacing the pads under warranty, all good but then they told me the front pads were 90% worn would I like them changed as well? After just 14,000 miles? At a cost of £117.
No! I said.
My logic being that my last i10 did 30,000 miles on the first set of pads, my wife and I are not racing drivers whats changed?
I'm going to look again at the excellent post by frupi detailing how to identify and fit a set of pads. I may get a free brake check at Quick Fit to confirm the wear first.

So good work fsjohn and thanks.

I will post again later on to report whether the H/brake sticking problem is solved.
You're welcome Longshot, I just wish Hyundai were honest with themselves about this issue.

On reflection I think there is more to this than just the brake pad material as after Hyundai changed the calipers, discs and pads on my i10 it happened again, hence why I sold it.

Assuming that the replacement parts were not faulty that leaves the handbrake cable, could this be jamming on a tight bend under the car and not releasing the pads or are the pads just to tight in the calipers?

Whatever is causing the problem a big company like Hyundai should have the technical ability to sort it out at it's source. Strangely they just don't seem to want to bother.

regards

fisjon

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd be a bit sceptical about 90% worn front brakes and have a look myself. My health check at three year service said front tyres 3mm and rears 4mm after a discussion on it the service manager came out with a guage and measured 4mm front and 6mm rear. I'll have a word with him he said so my guess is a quick look rather than a proper measurement. I'm of the opinion now run the brakes down till they squeal at the wear indicators. Why spend good money replacing something when you could be part exchanging the car. Certain famous fastfit outlets I wouldn't go near for a free brake check they are notorious for gross exaggeration with their bonuses in mind.
The brakes on the i10 are like nothing I've experienced before. When I took a test drive after just getting out of a Corsa at the first stop I braked and nearly put the salesman through the windscreen. I soon got used to them, but the brake assist means I trail the brakes longer to bring the car to a smooth stop. That may be where the extra pad wear comes in especially as I drive automatic and the car just seems to roll and roll when I take my foot off the gas.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You could be right about the free brake checks Oldbazza, I will have a measure up myself before I waste any money.
I am concerned to learn that the new pads may not solve the H/Brake sticking problem fsjohn but I guess time will tell as I say I will report how it goes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just bear in mind longshot the new pads will need to bed in to disc surface and the rears only get about 25% of the braking pressure. There are two problems pad sticking to disc through damp and pad sticking in slider though tight fit and hopefully new pad will correct both. May be something in what Fisjon says about handbrake movement. Handbrake according to book is correct at 6 to 8 clicks full on. Adjusting nut you get to by pulling the base out of the cup holder behind handbrake lever. Hope you get a good result it's a shame you've got problems. I may come over as crowing, but I'm absolutely not I have no problems with the brakes unless I let the Europeans wash it and park it up without giving it a run. The car can work properly and it seems to be down to combination of use, date of manufacture or material. It's a shame frupi got rid of his because his take on aftermarket parts behaviour would have been great for the forum.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well granted I only experienced the new rear Pagid discs and Comline pads for a month before we got rid of the car, but they bedded in really well and in my personal view, they are better than the Hyundai fit originals. I've used Pagid discs before anyway and not had any issues with them. As for the Comline pads, well absolutely no sticking/binding or squealing and so if I ever need any for the new Suzuki Vitara, I won't hesitate to fit Comline pads if they are the right price.
As for the Vitara, absolutely loving it! The Wife has let me drive it today and it's so nice to drive something that as a rule, I actually don't get to drive at work as we rarely see the new Vitara's come in for sale. I much prefer it to a RR Evoque for instance, better visibility. Averaging around 47mpg at the moment for the 1.6 petrol that's stuffed in the engine bay, so pretty much the same as our former 1.2 i10.

·
Registered
645 Posts
There has been no sticking of the hand brake since they changed the pads under warranty at the 2nd service they cleaned the car on the service and I haven't cleaned it since the so the real test will come when I wash the car, I wont drive the car to dry the brake out, well see if it sticks then, that was usually the time it was at its worse.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why not Push your luck a bit and hose the calipers with the handbrake off and then apply it when everything is wet. At least you'll know for sure if the problem has gone tomorrow.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Good idea Oldbazza70, I have however cleaned the car over the weekend and its all good. I guess this topic is now closed as no one else is reporting any problems, bad batch of pads it seems, all sorted.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts