Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been informed by DVSA that Hyundai have recognised a problem following a number of complaints of locking/sticking rear brakes.
Hyundai have developed a new compound for the brake pads and these are now ready for supply into service.
If you have had a problem with your rear brakes notify your dealer and ask for the new compound pads to be fitted on the warranty.
I have had new pads, discs and calipers replaced on the warranty at year 3. Normally brakes are only covered up to 2 years or 20,000 miles.
Don't take no for an answer. The old pads ruin the discs, the discs heat up and affect the calipers, accept no less than compete renewal.
If you have already paid for new rear brakes, get your money back and replacement.
If you have any trouble with your dealer contact Shanice Mitchell at Hyundai Executive team.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi
I have been informed by DVSA that Hyundai have recognised a problem following a number of complaints of locking/sticking rear brakes.
Hyundai have developed a new compound for the brake pads and these are now ready for supply into service.
If you have had a problem with your rear brakes notify your dealer and ask for the new compound pads to be fitted on the warranty.
I have had new pads, discs and calipers replaced on the warranty at year 3. Normally brakes are only covered up to 2 years or 20,000 miles.
Don't take no for an answer. The old pads ruin the discs, the discs heat up and affect the calipers, accept no less than compete renewal.
If you have already paid for new rear brakes, get your money back and replacement.
If you have any trouble with your dealer contact Shanice Mitchell at Hyundai Executive team.
Does this also affect EU models?

Keep truckin'

·
Registered
722 Posts
Does this also affect EU models?]
Technically, one could surmise that it would seeing as all of the EU models are built in the same factory in Turkey. You would though have to ask the question to the relevant Vehicle Safety Authority in Denmark or your relevant local Hyundai dealership.

I've driven an identical i10 model to our own in South Africa. Those models are built in India. Not sure whether they have the same issue or not. Lots of brake pads are made in India by the way, including the genuine General Motors brake pads that are on my Saab 9-3. Whether the same braking compounds are used is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
Thank you for the information regarding sticking rear breaks problem .
Would you please give me some further information to help as I have this problem on a new car (Dec 2017 registration ) :-

(1) Did the DVSA say they had recommended that Hyundai should do or our doing a general recall ?
(2) Did the information on the change of brake pad composition come originally from DVSA or as a result of complaint you raised direct with Hyundai UK ?
(3) Was a date given from when the new composition brake pad were available, when did you have them fitted to your car ?
(4) Because of the problem with the rear pads do you know if there is also a recommendation to change the front pads as well? Did you ask Hyundai UK or DVSA about this ?

Regarding another problem with i10s , do you have a built in Sat Nav and are you having problems with using the Post codes and not able to enter the house number ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you please give me some further information to help as I have this problem on a new car (Dec 2017 registration ) :-

(1) Did the DVSA say they had recommended that Hyundai should do or our doing a general recall ?
(2) Did the information on the change of brake pad composition come originally from DVSA or as a result of complaint you raised direct with Hyundai UK ?
(3) Was a date given from when the new composition brake pad were available, when did you have them fitted to your car ?
(4) Because of the problem with the rear pads do you know if there is also a recommendation to change the front pads as well? Did you ask Hyundai UK or DVSA about this ?

Regarding another problem with i10s , do you have a built in Sat Nav and are you having problems with using the Post codes and not able to enter the house number ?
I don't have sat nav in my i10 but I have come across this problem in a Renault. I think you will find that some in car sat navs won't allow you to input house numbers, you have to drive down the street and look for it!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The best I can do for the brake prob is to give you the contact details at Hyundai so you can sort this out direct. A very pleasant lady by the name of Shanice Mitchell contact, [email protected]

I don't think that there is going to be a recall, but I am sure that if you make it clear to Shanice that you are not happy about the problem and you would like to have the upgraded brakes fitted on the warranty you should succeed. Let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this also affect EU models?

Keep truckin'
If you are having a problem with your rear brakes sticking on after you have lowered your handbrake then I would say that it is an EU wide problem.

On my car the situation got so bad that the rear brakes were dragging as the car was being driven and the rear brakes were overheating. Either the calipers were faulty or the overheating had caused them to seize up. Either way it is a warranty issue.

The more people that bring this to the attention of Hyundai the sooner they will accept the need for a recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have posted a copy of the email I received from DVSA.

The email has a reference number. If you copy the email and take it to your dealer he won't be able to make any excuses.

I have deleted the contact details for both me and the sender for security reasons.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well I'm just going to chance my arm with our servicing dealership then. It'll be our third and final service on the service plan we bought when we purchased the car. I'll get it into the dealer 30 days before the first MoT is due and see if I can bag a brand new set of rear discs and pads under warranty.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well I'm just going to chance my arm with our servicing dealership then. It'll be our third and final service on the service plan we bought when we purchased the car. I'll get it into the dealer 30 days before the first MoT is due and see if I can bag a brand new set of rear discs and pads under warranty.
I doubt you'll be lucky there Fisjon had an ongoing problem with pad dragging and overheating the disc. My i10 is due for the third service and MOT in May and my rear brakes are fine so why should they do anything.

I have read the letter and it says the newer pad is being supplied into service which to me reads that the new pads will replace old ones that are worn out.
I've not seen anything that leads me to believe that I or anyone else will be offered new pads where a problem doesn't exist.
DVSA are taking no action.

Reactions: mrtrout

·
Registered
722 Posts
I doubt you'll be lucky there Fisjon had an ongoing problem with pad dragging and overheating the disc. My i10 is due for the third service and MOT in May and my rear brakes are fine so why should they do anything.

I have read the letter and it says the newer pad is being supplied into service which to me reads that the new pads will replace old ones that are worn out.
I've not seen anything that leads me to believe that I or anyone else will be offered new pads where a problem doesn't exist.
Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying, but I'm a cheeky git and I don't care if ours aren't sticking, I'll still try it on without any shame at all lol! :wink:
If you don't ask, you don't get!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hyundai have accepted that there was a problem with the make up of the compound in the brake pads. Too much iron caused the pads to rust onto the discs. This led to excessive wear on the discs and in some cases the discs overheated causing the brakes to jam on. Therefore the brakes are not fit for purpose and Hyundai should replace the faulty parts and any other part damaged by the faulty part.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I suppose it all depends if your car has the latter pad with the revised material.
how would we find that out? there must be a point in the serial no sequence at which the pads were changed, Hyundai should issue a recall, brakes are quite high on the safety list you would think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suppose it all depends if your car has the latter pad with the revised material.
how would we find that out? there must be a point in the serial no sequence at which the pads were changed, Hyundai should issue a recall, brakes are quite high on the safety list you would think.
I agree with you, yes brakes are essential to safety. If you have not had new brake pads/discs in the last couple of weeks you have the old pads on your car. I would say anything prior to the 1st Feb 2018 is likely to have old stock fitted. Fortunately with the modern ordering and overnight delivery services dealers don't keep much stock in hand like they used to, so new orders should be the updated stock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm sorry, but you haven't really given any evidence to back up your claims. The email you received from DVSA is quite ambiguous it states " new compound for the brake discs has been developed and is now ready to supply into service". Quite what they mean by that I don't know brake discs are cast iron and brake pads sticking to discs when left damp with handbrake on has been going on for years. You're claiming really that because of your email and the fact that you've had warranty work done on the rear brakes anybody can go in and demand new pads and discs on the rear. The email goes on to say "the brake pads sticking and releasing with a bang does not represent a safety defect". It also states that " on this occasion no further action will be taken".
You have no evidence in you claims about the 1st of February 2018 being some sort of cut off date for the old pads or discs. Most people aren't having problems with the rear brakes I certainly am not having problems. Hyundai themselves are only referring to a small number of similar reports. It's quite wrong to suggest that we should all be worrying about our rear brakes as a safety issue and going into dealerships demanding new rear braking assemblies. I'll accept that if I need new rear pads from Hyundai at some stage they might replace them with another pad compound, but I can't see them replacing pads and discs that have no problem because there is no recall. My interpretation is that worn out pads that need replacement at some stage whenever that is will be a different material.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well!
I do occasionally l get quite a bang from the rear brakes when reversing off my drive, I have had enough cars and driven for long enough to know that it is the hand brake sticking on and the thud/bang is the brake releasing.
Of course if this iron in the pads and and cast iron disc mix is a problem it will also effect the front brakes.
As we are not low mileage users (which seems to be the excuse) I am interested to see this problem resolved at no cost to me.
Our i10 is used daily and has never gone more than 1 or 2 days without being driven, so we are not talking a long time parked up either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you only have to look at all of the models to see that this problem is not just an i10 issue.
It is probably just poor quality material to make it on the cheap!
I have had numerous cars of a variety of makes over the years and whilst I have had the occasional pad stick I have never had such a persistent problem as with the i10.

Longshot, a question, are you able to define if the sticking brake is either left or right side?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sticky brakes are really not so uncommon, also because the brakepads getting stuck and can't move freely, because of brakedust and dirt building up... A quick service/cleaning job on your brakes, will solve this...

Keep truckin'

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry, but you haven't really given any evidence to back up your claims. The email you received from DVSA is quite ambiguous it states " new compound for the brake discs has been developed and is now ready to supply into service". Quite what they mean by that I don't know brake discs are cast iron and brake pads sticking to discs when left damp with handbrake on has been going on for years. You're claiming really that because of your email and the fact that you've had warranty work done on the rear brakes anybody can go in and demand new pads and discs on the rear. The email goes on to say "the brake pads sticking and releasing with a bang does not represent a safety defect". It also states that " on this occasion no further action will be taken".
You have no evidence in you claims about the 1st of February 2018 being some sort of cut off date for the old pads or discs. Most people aren't having problems with the rear brakes I certainly am not having problems. Hyundai themselves are only referring to a small number of similar reports. It's quite wrong to suggest that we should all be worrying about our rear brakes as a safety issue and going into dealerships demanding new rear braking assemblies. I'll accept that if I need new rear pads from Hyundai at some stage they might replace them with another pad compound, but I can't see them replacing pads and discs that have no problem because there is no recall. My interpretation is that worn out pads that need replacement at some stage whenever that is will be a different material.
I think that the statement should read "new compound for the brake pads has been developed and is now ready to supply into service". When I spoke on the phone to the ministry guy said Hyundai have developed a new compound for the pads but as you have pointed out he has written discs. Hyundai have admitted that the old pads had too much iron in them and this caused excess wear and damage to the disc. I imagine that this is something Hyundai have had in the pipeline for some time going by the volume of complaints on a number of forums including other Hyundai models. Hyundai are not going to admit they have had a high volume of complaints either.

I have posted this info in good faith. Some people have paid to have their pads and discs renewed at low mileage when the parts are not fit for purpose.

I rest my case. It is up to you what you do. Pay for new pads and discs by all means, that is your prerogative.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine banged once when I took the car to the car wash and drove it straight home and put it on the drive overnight with the handbrake hard on. Next time I went to the car wash on the way back I pulled the handbrake up on the move with nobody behind and dabbed the brakes a lot and following day no problem. I think disc brakes on cars like the i10 on the rear are a bit of a problem because they don't get much of the braking effort. My last car a 1.4 Corsa had drum brakes on the rear never a problem, but after a car wash there was some rubbing noises from the brakes for a the first couple of stops. Previous car to that I had a Smart Forfour with rear disc brakes and there were numerous complaints on the forum ten years ago of rear pads fusing to discs including one in eastern Europe who could not release the brakes at all and had to strip them down and hammer the pads off. I see if I wash any car I've had with disc brakes the cast iron gets surface rust almost while I'm looking at it.
I see Hyundai noting a small number of complaints and changing the compound, but as they don't normally give a full warranty on brake components I would probably have gone to an aftermarket outlet anyway if the pads had worn out and there are scores of pad types out there. Of course if I'd bought this car from the main dealer and the brakes were jamming on yes I would kick up, but they're not and if they were this forum would be full of people screaming about a problem. The worst experience seems to be with owners who either do low mileage or have other vehicles and leave their i10 idle outside.
Since buying an i10 the forums have been dead as a doornail and it must be because the car is keeping it's owners fairly happy. Certainly other forums like Vauxhall have scores of people moaning about scores of problems. People tend to be on forums to whinge more than anything. I'm glad things are kicking off here it's nice to get opinions on things and hopefully life will remain trouble free.
As a last point it seems to be the dealerships that determine whether Hyundai gets a fair press or not. I think fisjon you got fobbed off a lot by the dealership and it took you three years to get replacements as goodwill by eventually kicking off with Hyundai and taking it further. Some dealerships are only interested in shifting cars and taking money and it not always the manufacturers fault. My local outfit seem to get good reviews and although I've only had the car three months it's absolutely cracking.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts