Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What 'Specs' or dimensions should I keep in mind when shopping for a new stereo unit for my 2003 Hyundai Accent GSI hatchback?

I've been unlucky with those 'vehicle selectors' on websites and received parts that didn't fit before, any recommendations under 100$ are also accepted :)

Thanks in advance.
Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
- Looks like you are limited to single-DIN, but most anything should fit. Should have a lot of choices under $100 - I tend to like Pioneer, personally.
So basically any basic non-fancy single-DIN device (in general) will fit? Is there a wiring compatibility issue between older vehicles and the newer devices in your opinion?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
That is the way I interpret it - any Single-DIN device should fit. Metra lists the 70-7301 harness as working, and that is a fairly basic harness so there shouldn't be wiring issues.

Two notes:

- If your car has steering wheel audio - that would require a separate module.
- Metra's info is typically for the USA market. You don't show your location, but international cars often have different dash layouts and requirements.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crutchfield.com has the easiest instructions available. They sell you a radio and the wiring harness and mounting bracket custom made for your car. Best thing is they include a huge printed guide on how to install everything step by step. They say that the Accent is a "Difficult install" because of all the parts you have to remove.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
See the link I posted earlier. You need to remove the HVAC panel and disconnect the cables.

https://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

I was a moderator on the Crutchfield forums when those were still active. They are a great company and great customer support. That said, since they have to support every product they sell, they often list products as "Does Not Fit" or "Difficult Install" even if only a minor panel removal or minimal trimming is all that is necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed a Pioneer from Crutchfield in my 2005 Accent Hatchback. It was a difficult install. The only way I could make it work was to re-use the two mounting flanges from the stock radio. The flanges are marked right and left I found out after putting them in backwards. Be sure to check all your electrical plugs you have been pulling on during installation before you close it back up and test air flow, heating and cooling too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, i did this with cheap pioneer deck, youll have to do some electrical works behind the centre console to achieve this kind of project. When pulling the factory harness with old unit, cut the harness closest to ubit, not to harness plug.

Thats where you will be able to integrate factory plug
into aftermarket deck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts