Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I have a 2013 Elantra and I have noticed that after hanging up from calls from the Bluetooth using the Red Button on the steering wheel that is it becoming stuck. I can pull it back to its regular position and some times it will spring back with a slight click noise. Has anyone had this issue before if so how did you fix it? Can the dealer fix the one button or will they need to replace the entire wheel?

·
22,793 Posts
If they can't fix it, they will replace the entire wheel. I believe it's all inclusive. Schedule an appointment. Prepare to return for the install...lots of dealers don't carry spare wheels. They're getting better at stocking parts. Just don't be surprised if they ask you to come back.

·
22,793 Posts
Spray some WD 40 into it.
Better yet, let the dealer spray the WD 40 in there. I want the responsibility of all warranty repairs to fall squarely upon the dealer's shoulders.

Not saying the WD 40 will not work. But, for me, the shortest distance from a problem to an eligible warrantied repair is a straight line to the dealer.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,805 Posts
Not for me. Going to the dealer is a 30 minute ride each way and at least a half hour wait.

If the WD 40 doesn't work then to me it would be a dealer issue. Personally the few time the dealer sees my car the better.

·
22,793 Posts
Understood. I'm fortunate that I have two benefits some owners don't have. My dealer is located on my route to work. I go by there, every day. And the service department is (knock on wood) Top Shelf. Advantage: me and my car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If they can't fix it, they will replace the entire wheel. I believe it's all inclusive. Schedule an appointment. Prepare to return for the install...lots of dealers don't carry spare wheels. They're getting better at stocking parts. Just don't be surprised if they ask you to come back.
The buttons are not inclusive with the wheel. They can be removed with 2 screws through the back I believe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The buttons are not inclusive with the wheel. They can be removed with 2 screws through the back I believe.
I will have to look behind there after work today and see. If so they might be able just to fix that little part and not take apart the entire wheel. Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Understood. I'm fortunate that I have two benefits some owners don't have. My dealer is located on my route to work. I go by there, every day. And the service department is (knock on wood) Top Shelf. Advantage: me and my car.

You left out the part about bribing them with donuts!!

·
22,793 Posts
You left out the part about bribing them with donuts!!
You're right, and I did! I thought EVERYONE knew my secret to service success! :laughing: A donut in the hands of a tech is the equivalent to giving drugs to an addict. They'll be your friend for life!

For the doubters out there, try it!

·
Registered
8,805 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah I see so it looks like they might have to just disassemble the wheel, and remove the call button's module and replace it with a new one. and hopefully they install the airbag correctly and don't put the steering-wheel on at a slightly off angel lol

·
22,793 Posts
:eek: You guys are serious? You are suggesting an owner remove his airbag on a car under warranty? To fix something the dealer is responsible to fix?

And if the airbag discharges during this alteration/repair? Or worse yet...doesn't discharge if the vehicle becomes involved in a collision.

Doesn't sound responsible to me. Or very intelligent. IMHO

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've removed airbags on out of warranty wheels. Probably wouldn't mess with it again, for a sticky button. Let them do it.

If you INSIST though, be sure to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, and wait a good 30 minutes to let the airbag capacitor discharge. I happens faster than that, but why rush, just in case.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
What a bunch of wooses.

Just spray some WD into it and work it a couple of times. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I just made it up. Didn't want to offend anyone. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts