Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Car was back to the dealer for the 3rd time, same code as before 1603. Hyundai believes its a sensor in the steering column but there is no way to replace just the sensor. The entire steering column was replaced which the dealer advised me would be over $4,000 if I were not under warranty. Yikes! Just got the car back so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
anyone else having this concern? As I am driving the steering wheel will randomly lock for about 2 seconds. It has happened while changing lanes on the highway, also happening while making turns in intersections. Took it in to the dealer, all they did was clear the code and give it back to me. I have notified Hyundai Customer Care and they are supposed to contact me but right now the car is unsafe to drive. So wondering if I am all alone or if anyone else went through this.
u probably put it on sport mode. steering is stiffer on that setting

·
Registered
464 Posts
Car was back to the dealer for the 3rd time, same code as before 1603. Hyundai believes its a sensor in the steering column but there is no way to replace just the sensor. The entire steering column was replaced which the dealer advised me would be over $4,000 if I were not under warranty. Yikes! Just got the car back so keeping my fingers crossed.

Ouch! Glad they can get it sorted out now and not at 60,001 miles. Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
u probably put it on sport mode. steering is stiffer on that setting
Its not from being in sport mode. Does it in every mode and its not a stiff wheel, it locks in place. Additionally, it throws a code each time which doesnt happen just because you put it in sport mode.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have driven the car for a week now with no concerns. So far so good on replacing the steering column. Doesnt sound like others are having this concern but I am still posting updates in case it helps another poster in the future, especially if they get the same trouble code.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I just put column in a 15 Sonata for a noise concern.. what a joy it was, all the stuff that had to be removed.. better give that tech a good score on survey,, the job took about all the time HMA gives dealer just to get the thing out and ready to put back in.. I wiggled mine out, but it wouldnt go back in,, had to take another bracket out to allow new unit to go in and rotate into position to hang it in place

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wasnt aware it was that big of a job but regardless, I have all good things to say about this dealer. They had the tech drive the car home twice, provided me with a loaner, and even when Hyundai wanted to simply clear the code and send me on my way for the 3rd time, the dealer went to bat insisting that a repair was needed.

The first dealer I visited.....never again. I wouldnt let them change the oil on my lawn mower.

Hyundai customer care......worthless. took them 3 weeks to respond despite the 3-5 day claim and even when they contacted me the only concern was "what do you want from me so I can close this case". Have never heard from them again even though I was still having trouble at the time.

Current dealer..... has earned a new customer simply be treating me with respect and demonstrating legitimate concern for fixing my car. I received daily calls with updates, they went to bat for me, provided a loaner, etc and they arent even the dealer I purchased from..........but next time :)

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
I wasnt aware it was that big of a job but regardless, I have all good things to say about this dealer. They had the tech drive the car home twice, provided me with a loaner, and even when Hyundai wanted to simply clear the code and send me on my way for the 3rd time, the dealer went to bat insisting that a repair was needed.

The first dealer I visited.....never again. I wouldnt let them change the oil on my lawn mower.

Hyundai customer care......worthless. took them 3 weeks to respond despite the 3-5 day claim and even when they contacted me the only concern was "what do you want from me so I can close this case". Have never heard from them again even though I was still having trouble at the time.

Current dealer..... has earned a new customer simply be treating me with respect and demonstrating legitimate concern for fixing my car. I received daily calls with updates, they went to bat for me, provided a loaner, etc and they arent even the dealer I purchased from..........but next time :)
Why don't you post the name and location (city) of your great dealer. Deserves to get a plug on the forums.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Why don't you post the name and location (city) of your great dealer. Deserves to get a plug on the forums.
I can do that, just wasnt sure about the rules. My goal isnt to slander the dealer (although they deserve it) but rather to share/seek input on the problem I was having.

While disappointed with the first dealer (Cincinnati OH is your hint), at least I had other options. I am more disappointed in Hyundai and how they treated this. I filed a complaint through their customer care, they could care less. The only feedback I received was "what can I do to close this". I said dont close it until this is fixed. Never heard another word. I sent a very unfavorable survey response when asked "how do you like your new Hyundai". In the survey I left comments about my frustrations, rated parts of the car as low as I could, etc. Not a single response from Hyundai. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, Hyundai gets notified, still nothing. I gave a very poor dealer survey from my first visit, no response.

This will certainly play in to my decision on my next vehicles. I have 5 vehicles in the driveway so I am no stranger to buying personal cars. I am the equipment manager for a medium size company and I purchase 30-40 vehicles per year for the business. This is my first Hyundai though. Hmmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone else having this concern? As I am driving the steering wheel will randomly lock for about 2 seconds. It has happened while changing lanes on the highway, also happening while making turns in intersections. Took it in to the dealer, all they did was clear the code and give it back to me. I have notified Hyundai Customer Care and they are supposed to contact me but right now the car is unsafe to drive. So wondering if I am all alone or if anyone else went through I am actually having the same problem. I took in to the dealership and they recommended it needed new tires lol. Completely wrong in my opinion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hope their technician stays safe but that was a good call on the dealers part to do that. I am curious though to know if your Sonata has push button starting or manual key starting? I have not had any such issues with mine thank goodness. I hope your issue with your car is resolved to your satisfaction very soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same problem happened with 2013-2014 Honda Accord. I own one of those cars as well.

We received a notification to bring the car to the dealer in order to install an "update" in the computer. This update was just a jump over the torque sensor failure. If the sensor failed, then thanks to the update, one can still driving as if nothing happened, to later on bring the car to the dealer for replacement of the part.

When the torque sensor fails, you can't move the steering wheel unless you use force as if the power steering is not working. In this case is an electrical issue, not a mechanical one.

I never took my car for such an update, and years have occurred since the notification and it appears my vehicle wasn't one of the affected with failed torque sensor.

In reality, the work to replace the torque sensor is just removing the steering column (depending of the car brand and model) and replace the sensor, which is not expensive at all.

But, in many cases, when the sensor have failed a few times, then some other internal parts will go bad, and here is when the whole steering column unit must be replaced.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts