Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Eh, I have spent decades in the computer industry, and I am not buying the "ECM Overheat" line. You don't get selective failure with overheat. All sorts of stuff goes south because the processor cannot perform operations, all operations. Look up "BSOD" if you have never experienced it with your computer.

I would go more with power loss to the servo, or a bad servo, or even a bad driver circuit to the servo. Any of the three would cause the 'lock up' condition you describe.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Eh, I have spent decades in the computer industry, and I am not buying the "ECM Overheat" line. You don't get selective failure with overheat. All sorts of stuff goes south because the processor cannot perform operations, all operations. Look up "BSOD" if you have never experienced it with your computer.

I would go more with power loss to the servo, or a bad servo, or even a bad driver circuit to the servo. Any of the three would cause the 'lock up' condition you describe.

I did some scamming around on the service site in the DTC section for EPS.... I did find that there is a DTC designated for "thermal protection".. 1603 is the one I found..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't doubt there may be a thermal problem, but those usually show up during summer months and will affect multiple functions. Back in 1980 I had an Oldsmobile Omega that when the summer temps hit Houston it was not unusual to find the antennae going up and down, the dash lights flashing, all sorts of weird stuff until the AC finally got cool air into the ECM. Then everything settled down.

Point being that when overheated, everything goes weird, not just one specific function.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Don't doubt there may be a thermal problem, but those usually show up during summer months and will affect multiple functions. Back in 1980 I had an Oldsmobile Omega that when the summer temps hit Houston it was not unusual to find the antennae going up and down, the dash lights flashing, all sorts of weird stuff until the AC finally got cool air into the ECM. Then everything settled down.

Point being that when overheated, everything goes weird, not just one specific function.

Wow. We had a 1981 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham sedan back in the late 1980s... great car until it hit 65k miles... then everything went out on it. lol.

I thought it was possessed, the dealer said it was a mechanical defect, they would blame Detroit faster than the devil.... think I heard that one a movie once as well. lol.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Actually, I thought about it and I believe ours was an '81 also. A special order oddball, it was the Brougham coupe, 4cyl with a standard. Wife and I were both working in Houston and living out to the southwest. 75 miles a day round trip to work, about an hour and a half each way. We were just married and the gas mileage on that car was really good for it's time and saved us some serious cash. Even more surprising was how that thing was eerily quiet on the highway at the nationally mandated 55mph speed limit. I mean, like, spooky quiet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Actually, I thought about it and I believe ours was an '81 also. A special order oddball, it was the Brougham coupe, 4cyl with a standard. Wife and I were both working in Houston and living out to the southwest. 75 miles a day round trip to work, about an hour and a half each way. We were just married and the gas mileage on that car was really good for it's time and saved us some serious cash. Even more surprising was how that thing was eerily quiet on the highway at the nationally mandated 55mph speed limit. I mean, like, spooky quiet.

Yeah that was odd... cars from the early 80s and older could be very oddly optioned however. Ours was loaded, it had the 2.8L V6, automatic and even had power windows, locks, etc. I remember ours being quiet was well. It was a beautiful little car, dark blue metallic with dark blue cloth interior. It also had a white vinyl top. I have a photo somewhere of me standing in front of it in 1988 at age 12. lol.

Dads friend at the time had a '80 Omega 4dr base sedan with the 4-cylinder automatic. It was black with red interior. My favorite old car we had in the 80s though was a 1983 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency sedan, what a plush car!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Latest update - still no word from Hyundai customer care. I have pretty much lost faith in them.

Dealer cleared the code, let a technician drive it home, no problems and the code didnt return. They contacted Hyundai and they were told to return the car to the customer. The dealer isnt comfortable with this. They agree something had to cause the code, it was cleared once before by the previous dealer and it came back, so the dealer asked to let their technician drive it home again. If it doesnt act up on them tomorrow and still no codes they will be forced to return the car. Since they cant identify the source right now their only option would be to start replacing parts based on "best guess" approach and Hyundai is strongly opposed to that. I understand that, but I also feel Hyundai (not the dealer) is over eager to return the car to me without diagnosing a cause, or at least attempting a repair. Hyundai should realize the impacts here.... I have documented 2 returns for the same concern, I have contacted customer care with no response, when I contacted customer care they didnt offer a loaner or express any concern about me driving the car. Should an accident result from the steering wheel locking up this gets really, really ugly for Hyundai.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I mentioned this recall to the service writer. At the time I didnt have the vehicle to look at the manufacture date but I just bought it 10/31. While it may not fall under this recall, certainly possible its the same cause which is why I mentioned it to the dealer.
The code my car had was 1603 ECU thermal protection. Dealer cleared the code, did an extended test drive (let the technician drive it home) and the code didnt return. I just got the car back and today was my first opportunity to drive it. No lock up yet, but I only drove 30 miles. The dealer isnt claiming to have done any work but they may have checked this wiring since it was a known issue (and I brought it up). Since its not replacement of any parts it wouldnt be notated on my receipt. Hats off to this dealer though. Even though Hyundai said "give it back" they did the extended test drive, gave me a free loaner, etc. They seem concerned to get it fixed but dont have the approval to replace any parts at this point (which I understand).

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I mentioned this recall to the service writer. At the time I didnt have the vehicle to look at the manufacture date but I just bought it 10/31. While it may not fall under this recall, certainly possible its the same cause which is why I mentioned it to the dealer.
The code my car had was 1603 ECU thermal protection. Dealer cleared the code, did an extended test drive (let the technician drive it home) and the code didnt return. I just got the car back and today was my first opportunity to drive it. No lock up yet, but I only drove 30 miles. The dealer isnt claiming to have done any work but they may have checked this wiring since it was a known issue (and I brought it up). Since its not replacement of any parts it wouldnt be notated on my receipt. Hats off to this dealer though. Even though Hyundai said "give it back" they did the extended test drive, gave me a free loaner, etc. They seem concerned to get it fixed but dont have the approval to replace any parts at this point (which I understand).
Any resolution ?

Where they able to locate a cause for the problem ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No resolution yet. Im in a phase of "try it and let us know". Dealer did not install any parts but I believe checked the wiring per the previously mentioned recall. I have driven 60 miles with no concerns so far. Past experience though...... it could happen twice in a 10 mile trip, or might not happen at all for 150 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hyundai customer care finally called me January 7th. So much for the 3-5 days they promised. Basically they didnt offer any assistance other than take it to a dealer if you have a concern. I went through the story with him and his demeanor was basically "what do you want me to do". He even asked something along the lines of what needs to happen for me to close this ticket. Anyway, no real help.

Steering wheel did lock up again so now its back to the dealer for the 3rd time.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hyundai customer care finally called me January 7th. So much for the 3-5 days they promised. Basically they didnt offer any assistance other than take it to a dealer if you have a concern. I went through the story with him and his demeanor was basically "what do you want me to do". He even asked something along the lines of what needs to happen for me to close this ticket. Anyway, no real help.

Steering wheel did lock up again so now its back to the dealer for the 3rd time.
It's certainly not ideal, but have you considered picking up a GoPro and mounting it on your seat area? Hopefully it can catch the lock happening and give them at least something to review on video.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's certainly not ideal, but have you considered picking up a GoPro and mounting it on your seat area? Hopefully it can catch the lock happening and give them at least something to review on video.
My thoughts exactly. Especially in the event of an accident for insurance purposes since Hyundai hasn't been able to find anything wrong. I imagine they would claim driver error and leave you with the bills.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts