Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else having this concern? As I am driving the steering wheel will randomly lock for about 2 seconds. It has happened while changing lanes on the highway, also happening while making turns in intersections. Took it in to the dealer, all they did was clear the code and give it back to me. I have notified Hyundai Customer Care and they are supposed to contact me but right now the car is unsafe to drive. So wondering if I am all alone or if anyone else went through this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No, I have no problems with steering. BTW, you did not mention what trim do you have - your problem might be trim specific.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Can you get the code from your dealer and post it here in case others start to experience that? Needless to say that can kill people and Hyundai needs to be aware of that. Your dealer did not explained this in any detail to you?I would be nervous driving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Sport model with 2.4. When I went to myhundai.com before the DTC was there for electronic steering control. It no longer shows there though. Neither does my service visit, and my mileage is about 1,200 miles less than actual. Maybe myhyundai only updates monthly? I thought it was real time, especially pertaining to trouble codes and service history but maybe Im wrong.

This concern is VERY serious. It caused me to go in to oncoming traffic recently because the wheel locked as I was making a turn in an intersection. Thankfully it wasnt heavy traffic and I wasnt up to speed yet. I no longer use the car if my kids are with me. I have filed a complaint with Hyundai customer care but I am still waiting to hear back from them. I am going to call them today to see if I can get a rental car because this could end very badly if I continue to drive the car.

The dealer that "worked" on it said I could bring it back today and they would give me a rental, but I have a trust issue now. I dont want to use this dealer again. They didnt give me any paperwork when I picked it up, they couldnt tell me what was done to fix it, they told me to take the car and they would email me a receipt (no charge for work performed). When I called back to advise about the steering problem still existing they couldnt even find me in their computer. Took them 3 hours to call me back and say "all we did was clear the code". Gee, if I took a bullet would you just put a band aid on it and send me on my way. There was no effort to diagnose the actual problem.

I will post any updated info I can get.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What year is your Sport 2.4? Is it new? I don't know much about the Sport. Does it have other modes of driving, e.g., Eco, etc.? When I put my Sonata Limited in Sport mode, the steering wheel does get stiffer, but that is normal. Also, it could be due to a lock pin that fails to withdraw fully, allowing contact between the pin and lock plate. Visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA ) website (see Resources) for information about possible recalls. I got this from this site. Chevrolet had this problem at one time.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_6173410_causes-steering-wheel-lock-up_.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just called Hyundai, told them I didnt feel safe driving the car anymore. Wanted to know if I should schedule an appointment with another dealer and would Hyundai authorize a rental car. They said I can ask the dealer if they are willing to offer a loaner, but that is a dealer expense, not a Hyundai expense. I asked if I should contact another dealer to make an appointment and they said "your case has been forwarded and they have 5 business days to respond". I asked what do I do in the meantime, the car is unsafe. She said I can rent a car on my own if I feel unsafe, its possible they would reimburse me but its no guarantee. She would not authorize a rental so I should just wait to hear from my claim representative.

This is my first Hyundai but just as a comparison - I had a Ford truck with a concern a few years ago. Called Ford, they sent a tow truck to my house so I didnt have to drive the truck. They contacted the closest dealer to me and arranged a loaner truck (they actually apologized to me because my truck was a F350 but the only loaner truck they had was a F150). Tow truck driver offered to drop me at the dealer to get the loaner.

Im not hear to bash, but I find it pretty poor customer service so far. It would be different if this werent a safety issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, its a new 2015 with 2,200 miles. Been doing this a while now and its random. It does have different driving modes but I havent changed the setting from normal. Its not a stiffer wheel, but a locked wheel. For example I was turning right at an intersection, I got the wheel turned about 90 degrees and it locked. I couldnt complete the turn and went in to the oncoming lane. I have also had it do this going down the highway. It only locks for about 2 seconds and then releases. The first couple of times I thought it was a fluke or something.

·
Registered
653 Posts
This is WAY too dangerous to even think to drive. As I still have car with ordinary key, once, to save a gas going downhill (about 40km/h), I turned engine off AND put key in initial position (not ON). As road curved a little bit, my steering wheel locked. Mechanically. No turning at all. Fortunately I was able to realize my stupidity and turned key to ON to unlock the wheel. No more gas saving experiments...
If this is happening with push-button start cars, complete system is screwed up. Where is my Yugo...???

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
And the is ??

They got to be better than that, they have to fully document stuff if they expect Hyundai Motor to pay claim filed by local dealer..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why haven't you changed the setting??? Dealing with an issue like this, I would try ANYTHING. For God sakes, see if it does it in all driving modes or just one. Hyundai will eventually get to you, but in the mean time, do something to help yourself and try and diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Okay, let me put some thought behind this ...

TYPICALLY, if you remove power from a servo motor it doesn't lock up, but it can be hard to turn. So power loss to the steering assist could appear as a lock up. Now, there is a steering lock collar for theft prevention, and it shouldn't engage unless the gear select is in the park position. But it does sound like a mechanical lock. Being intermittent (most profane word in troubleshooting) I would lean toward the servo issue over the mechanical locking collar.

If the dealer had a code for a steering assist failure and cleared the code without identifying the cause they are all kinds of liable on this. It is one thing for a failure in the steering system, but to clear the code without identifying what set it is going to put the dealer in all kinds of deep trouble with Hyundai.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Look on the driver side n pillar where the sticker is. Check the date of manufacture. The early 15 sonatas made early 14 had a recall for the power steering system losing power.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From cars.com

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING

Problem Summary: Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2015 Sonata vehicles manufactured May 2, 2014, through May 23, 2014. A poor connection within the vehicle's wiring harness may result in a reduction of steering assist from the vehicle's motor driven power steering system or the inability to move the vehicle's shifter from the Park position.

Consequence: The reduction of power steering assist can increase the steering effort needed, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Hyundai notified dealers to suspend sales of affected Sonata vehicles and has published recall bulletin 14-01-024 providing a service procedure to repair the affected vehicles. On June 7, 2014 Hyundai began to contact the affected retail customers. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 119.

Next Steps: Contact a Service Center Near You

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is intermittent but does it happen at specific speeds, temperatures etc? Might be good to note. And I figured the steering malfunction light should come on if there is an issue with the servo control. (I hope I'm thinking of the right car, I have two with electric assist steering) I'm leaning towards the anti theft locking pin. This could ultimately be an electric issue though as that pin would be driven by a relay or solenoid of sorts on a push button start car.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here is an update - I still havent heard a word from Hyundai Customer Care. Filed the complaint 12/16 and they said they would respond in 3-5 days.

I tried Eco and Sport modes and the problem continued. It has locked at all different speeds. In fact, I was at a stop light and felt the wheel move or something that grabbed my attention, I tried to turn the wheel and it was "locked" but released within 1 second. It also did it once as I was backing up. I cant find a pattern.

I believe it is a power lock, not a mechanical lock. Your natural instinct when it locks is to force the wheel even harder because it most commonly happens in the middle of a turn. It doesnt feel like there is a mechanical stop and within 1-2 seconds it jerks free. I have driven cars without power steering though, this still feels different, but then again if the power assist is coming and going its hard to say.

Car is at another dealer right now. They said it had a really weird code. Something to do with ECM overheat or overload. They have never seen it before. They called Hyundai who said it could be an error from holding the wheel in 1 spot for a really long period of time???? Well thats not the case, which they realize. Hyundai said clear the code and give it back to me....again. but the dealer understands my concern and doesnt want to to do that. So they are going to clear the code and have a technician drive the car home (40 miles each way) so he can either experience the lock, or see if the code returns.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts