Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Accent with 136,000 km on it. A few days ago I parked with the wheels slightly turned and the steering wheel totally locked, the key couldn't turn and the wheel couldn't be unlocked by pushing it either way. I called CAA and the driver had no luck but he tapped the key lightly with a wrench while it was in the ignition and it started. I took it to the mechanic yesterday and they had the same problems and called a locksmith who specializes in automotive locks.

They told me to take it to the dealership because they thought it was something further inside. Something was bugging me and I realized what it was. When the car was parked and the key wasn't in the ignition, as soon as I opened the driver side door the chimes went off. I closed the door, tried to lock it from outside with the remote but it wouldn't lock and the alarm wouldn't engage. I called my mechanic to tell him this and we all agreed that it seemed the car thought the key was in the ignition even though it wasn't.

I went to the dealership and left it and they called and said it was the ignition cylinder that needed replacing. Does this sound right? Has anyone had a problem like this?

350 Posts
I don't know if the switch & cylinder are integrated on this design- haven't taken one that far apart.

If they are integrated, then I'd expect a new cylinder to do the trick. If not, the switch behind it may be the problem instead.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like they could have it right...guess you're off warranty now, **** shame!

only other thing to try is to rock the steering wheel back and fourth while trying to turn the key/get it out. i'm sure CAA tried, but worth a mention for later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently had the same problem with my '13 Tucson. I had a hard time to get the car to start. I'd put the key in and it wouldn't turn i had to jiggle it back and forth a few times and finally it would start. I remembered that a few days before I had the similar problem where when I took the key out and opened the door, the car started chiming like the key was still in the ignition. I put the key in and took it out again and it stopped.

I took it to the dealer and the mechanic sprayed some lubricant in the cylinder and said that would fix it. When I got the car back 10 minutes later it was even worst then before.

They ordered a new cylinder, replaced it and had a locksmith rekey the glovebox and the driver's door to match the new key and now it is working fine. I haven't (knock on wood) had the same problem since.

This was a month ago :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The warranty was over and done with over a year ago so I'm out of luck! I have to drive to London from Toronto and back again tomorrow morning, I will get the car back tonight so we'll see if it happens again. So if they get a new cylinder will they also have to give me a new key? That means I'll have different keys for the doors and trunk, and a different one for the ignition.

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Just a nickel's worth of free advice (if this is indeed the case).

A lot of people have a large number of keys in addition to the one that starts the cah loaded onto the key chain. This added weight bouncing around mile after mile may cause premature failure of the cylinder. Try to keep the fewest number of keys (and shopping cards) on your key chain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Miss Molly,

when they replaced my iginition cylinder I did get a new key. Because i'm under warranty it did not cost me anything to have the other locks (glove box and driver's door) adjusted for the new key.

I don't know what exactly you are paying for but you may end up with different keys. Ask the service manager for clarification.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a nickel's worth of free advice (if this is indeed the case).

A lot of people have a large number of keys in addition to the one that starts the cah loaded onto the key chain. This added weight bouncing around mile after mile may cause premature failure of the cylinder. Try to keep the fewest number of keys (and shopping cards) on your key chain.
So guilty! Up and till a few months ago that was me. I am a dog walker and I have 4 sets of keys in my bag at all time and probably had 7 keys on the keychain that the ignition key was part of. And it's not like my mechanic hasn't warned me about that the past 10 years so I have nobody buy myself to blame if this is indeed what happened. Lesson learned!

Miss Molly,

when they replaced my iginition cylinder I did get a new key. Because i'm under warranty it did not cost me anything to have the other locks (glove box and driver's door) adjusted for the new key.

I don't know what exactly you are paying for but you may end up with different keys. Ask the service manager for clarification.
They ended up redoing all my locks so I did get a new set of keys with the old remotes. So far, so good!

·
Registered
27 Posts
the heavy keys might have played a roll in the problems you had but in my case my car was 6 months old and I only have the remote on the keychain.

Glad to hear your problem is now resolved and you get to enjoy your car again :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 3 vehicles and learned a long time ago to run with only the ignition key. The only thing with the key is the remote or a small plastic key ring.

Kuripot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts