Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our 2.0T the leather is peeling on the under side of the steering wheel. Should they replace the steering wheel? The peeling looks like something rub against and peeled it but nothing had rubbed against it. I just don't want the dealer giving me the run around.

·
Registered
622 Posts
In our 2.0T the leather is peeling on the under side of the steering wheel. Should they replace the steering wheel? The peeling looks like something rub against and peeled it but nothing had rubbed against it. I just don't want the dealer giving me the run around.
As long as it doesn't look like something OBVIOUSLY damaged it, then there shouldn't be an issue. I guess all dealerships vary, but it's always worth a try.

·
22,793 Posts
I guess all dealerships vary, but it's always worth a try.
+1 I have read the few horror stories others have posted attempting to get their wheel replaced.

By and large, most dealers are really nice about it. My 2013's wheel started peeling in April/May of 2013. After a year of owning it. My dealer said he would order me one from a local Hyundai distribution center. He didn't have one in stock. Called me the next day to schedule a time convenient to come in. Took all of 15 minutes. Seven months on the new one, no problems.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
This has been a continuous problem since the 2010 model - many owners in the UK had this issue and got the steering wheel replaced, usually with slightly different leather.

I've heard of a UK dealer trying to reject a warranty claim as it was over the 12 months limit for "trim items" but as it clearly has a functional and safety use, other dealers have just done a warranty replacement.

In my case, I believe the cause was the use of insect repellent on my hands during a Scottish trip - I use a 50% Deet repellent so have been more careful since getting the wheel replaced.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Ruperts-

Send me some of that 50% Deet from across the pond !!! ..... The wise fossil haters and insect lovers over here placed limits on the concentration percentage ............ of course for my own safety.

You guys get all the good stuff.

·
Registered
808 Posts
This has been a continuous problem since the 2010 model - many owners in the UK had this issue and got the steering wheel replaced, usually with slightly different leather.

I've heard of a UK dealer trying to reject a warranty claim as it was over the 12 months limit for "trim items" but as it clearly has a functional and safety use, other dealers have just done a warranty replacement.

In my case, I believe the cause was the use of insect repellent on my hands during a Scottish trip - I use a 50% Deet repellent so have been more careful since getting the wheel replaced.
Lived over 40 years in Scotland, never once needed a insect repellant!

·
Banned
532 Posts
This isn't going to start one of those country things is it?:mellow:

Notice I didn't put one country in front of the other, in the interest of harmony.^_^

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
As I'm sure you know there's many parts of Scotland where the female Scottish midge doesn't give anyone problems - I'm a "midge-magnet" and frequently visit the West Coast where the midges thrive.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ruperts-

Send me some of that 50% Deet from across the pond !!! ..... The wise fossil haters and insect lovers over here placed limits on the concentration percentage ............ of course for my own safety.

You guys get all the good stuff.
I'd send you some Deet-based repellent along with some haggis as it's Burns Night on the 25th - but US Customs wouldn't like it !!

·
Banned
532 Posts
I can handle Haggis ..... :gunsmilie: ..... but do I put Butter, Ketchup, Mayo or Mustard on it ?

·
Registered
808 Posts

Notice I didn't put one country in front of the other, in the interest of harmony.^_^
lol that's funny jdgorsky....I was not trying to start a "country thing"
I am very happy living in the USA these days

·
Registered
808 Posts
As I'm sure you know there's many parts of Scotland where the female Scottish midge doesn't give anyone problems - I'm a "midge-magnet" and frequently visit the West Coast where the midges thrive.
Well that's true on the west coast (I lived on the east coast) The midgie is basically teeth with a set of wings!

·
22,793 Posts

:grouphug: :laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts