Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I don't mean my steering wheel is dirty like I spilled honey on it.

I've recently noticed that as I begin to turn the steering wheel, It feels a bit tight for the first bit. It's the same whether I turn it right or left. It's like if your steering wheel was straight at the 12'o clock position, it will feel tight going right to 12:10, or left to 11:50.

The steering works fine though. It's just that little bit that feels abnormal compared to the rest. I can feel it both when the car is in motion or not in motion.

Also it's the same whether my driving mode is in Normal, Eco, Sport.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Many Hyundai's have a problem with a star shaped disc located between the steering motor and the steering rack. It breaks up and causes notchy steering. There are quiet a few utube clips showing how to replace it. It seems to fail around 100K.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012 turbo. It was fixed once and now it's back again. Feels like a dead spot whe you are driving and it makes you oversteer right or left.

Made appointment for Monday and will take a copy of the original work they did.

I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Are you in "sport" mode? Steering tightens up in that setting.
It was corrected back in February 2016 and this is what what the dealer found:

Steering rack assy internal failure verified, found hard/binding movement within steering rack assy. Further inspection found internal failure in rack assy resulting in binding at times during operation. Completed replacement and toe adjustment.

Now it is doing it all over again.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Many Hyundai's have a problem with a star shaped disc located between the steering motor and the steering rack. It breaks up and causes notchy steering. There are quiet a few utube clips showing how to replace it. It seems to fail around 100K.
First time was at 34K miles and now at 44K is doing it again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive been noticing the same thing... did a lot of road trips over the holidays and noticed that it would come and go. When I noticed it... It would go away after I turned the car off to get gas and got back on the road. Gonna get it checked out when I get my oil changed next week.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Mine does not go away. It's a pain driving with this problem, It seems that I am kinda having one too many beers when the car wonders all over the toad from my "over correcting"!

·
Registered
672 Posts
It was corrected back in February 2016 and this is what what the dealer found:

Steering rack assy internal failure verified, found hard/binding movement within steering rack assy. Further inspection found internal failure in rack assy resulting in binding at times during operation. Completed replacement and toe adjustment.

Now it is doing it all over again.
It's the EPS programming. Hyundai's first cars with electric power steering, and they blew it like the Falcons in the last quarter(!) Nothing you can do - until trade-in time.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It's the EPS programming. Hyundai's first cars with electric power steering, and they blew it like the Falcons in the last quarter(!) Nothing you can do - until trade-in time.
I hear ya!! I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, lets see what happens. I have a front strut bar installed, should I remove it before I take it in??

·
Registered
749 Posts
Strut bar wouldn't relate to your issue. Leave it.

I've replaced numerous steering motors (columns) and a few steering racks for the issue. The YF was the biggest offender for this problem, but I've seen it on santa fe vehicles as well as elantras.

If it's the rack, something is bound up.
If it's the column, it's something with the programming/torque sensors in the column.

Of course, there could be other things. seized ball joint, seized tie rod, bound up steering shaft, strut mount, bent stuff...you name it.

It's not just Hyundai. GM has seen this issue too, but have a reprogramming for it. Search GM tsb 16-HA-007. Sounds very similar doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Strut bar wouldn't relate to your issue. Leave it.

I've replaced numerous steering motors (columns) and a few steering racks for the issue. The YF was the biggest offender for this problem, but I've seen it on santa fe vehicles as well as elantras.

If it's the rack, something is bound up.
If it's the column, it's something with the programming/torque sensors in the column.

Of course, there could be other things. seized ball joint, seized tie rod, bound up steering shaft, strut mount, bent stuff...you name it.

It's not just Hyundai. GM has seen this issue too, but have a reprogramming for it. Search GM tsb 16-HA-007. Sounds very similar doesn't it?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was noticing something with my steering recently that sounds similar. When driving along at speed on a straight road, it felt like every minor correction of steering felt a bit "sticky" too. Very minor, but irritating. I haven't noticed it since but most of the drives in the Sonata have been in town. Not due for an oil change for a while but will bring it up when it goes in for service.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I hear ya!! I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, lets see what happens. I have a front strut bar installed, should I remove it before I take it in??

On top or bottom? If on top, removing is a piece of cake. I'd want to bring something to the service department that's as factory as possible.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Just got back from the dealer:

Re sticky steering wheel - no codes found, calibrated steering angle sensor. Also replaced oil feed pipe under warranty as a recall.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Re sticky steering wheel - no codes found, calibrated steering angle sensor. Also replaced oil feed pipe under warranty as a recall.

I had all of that done on my 2013 Limited. Only thing not done was the steering coupler. Ended up trading for 15 Elantra.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

What ever they did, it ain't working!!! Going back next week.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
What ever they did, it ain't working!!! Going back next week.

Well, went back last Tuesday and the tech said the problem with the "sticky steering wheel" is that you need an alignment. It did need an alignment but I told him that for sure that would not fix the problem!

Alignment done and guess what!!

1) still sticks
2) steering wheel is a little off center
3) changed from sport to soft!

Have appointment tomorrow morning!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts