Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in my test drive the leather wheel in the 2.0T Limited was smooth and kinda slick. Did not have that issue in the Mazda. So... Does that slickness go away after the wheel is 'broken in' and you get your hand oils and stuff on it, or does it stay pretty slick? I know, I know, its a minor thing but just something that I definitely noticed going from one car to another.

·
Registered
486 Posts
..I have been driving our limited for about six months now and either it has become less slick or we have grown accustomed to it. No complaints while driving and my hands usually on the very dry side. Maybe you missed the fine print about the recommendation about wearing racing gloves while operating the Sonata.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (T-Rex @ Dec 13 2010, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379525
So, in my test drive the leather wheel in the 2.0T Limited was smooth and kinda slick. Did not have that issue in the Mazda. So... Does that slickness go away after the wheel is 'broken in' and you get your hand oils and stuff on it, or does it stay pretty slick? I know, I know, its a minor thing but just something that I definitely noticed going from one car to another.

somewhat on the same general topic, i was getting so sick of the horrorplastic feel of the non-leather wheel in my GLS, i wrapped it with "friction tape" until i can figure out a more permanent solution. friction tape is most commonly seen, outside of electrical wiring, on hockey stick and tennis racket handles. sticky but good (for now). ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Dec 13 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379533
Maybe you missed the fine print about the recommendation about wearing racing gloves while operating the Sonata.
:grin:

QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Dec 13 2010, 09:36 PM)
...i wrapped it with "friction tape" until i can figure out a more permanent solution...
I'm not sure I could do that to a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (T-Rex @ Dec 13 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379542
:grin:

I'm not sure I could do that to a brand new vehicle.

anything is better than the plastic wheel, believe me. and friction tape comes right off, very little residue which is removable with 409, alcohol, etc.

i was thinking of a "wheelskins" type deal or having the wheel custom wrapped with leather. I fantasize about a heated wheel as well.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Robspeed...check out Dallas Custom Steering Wheel. I've heard nothing but great things about them and was going to have them re-cover the disintegrating leather wheel on my '04 Santa Fe before I got rid of it for the new one. Do a bit of Googling and read the fourms where people talk about his work. His name is Don and he's very nice and very professional to deal with so I regret not being able to do business with him. However, I don't know if heating is one of his specialties.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try using leather conditioner on it. I used it for years on my last car. It cleans and softens the leather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also found the non-leather wheel on my GLS way too slippery. I ended buying an inexpensive perforated leather cover on Ebay, from Hong Kong IIRC. The stitching task was quite difficult (I estimate at least 3 hours), and it took about 3 weeks for the strong chemical smell to go away, but I am much happier. Now that the cold weather has really kicked in, I like the fact that it is warmer than the plastic, too.

·
1,914 Posts
Hyundai's steering wheels have always been crappy. I had my mom's recovered after 3 years under warranty and it still looks brand new. One of the ladies at work has a Limited with 4,100 miles. I just cleaned it today and the wheel looks like the car has 50,000miles on it already. Take a look at the Kia Forte SX models. They have the best leather wrapped wheel of any car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts