Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top of my steering wheel is starting to wear. Was thinking of getting a cover for it, but the steering wheel is kind of thick.

Anyone have one? Is the steering wheel + cover too thick?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I always put steering wheel covers on all my vehicles. I don't think they're too thick. I have large hands though, but my wife and daughters have much smaller hands and no complaints with the covers on any of the previous vehicles. Some steering wheels were already thick too, like Ram trucks...I think you'd eventually get used to it. To me it's better to change out a worn out cover than a steering wheel.

For some of them I got ones exactly fitting, but for my Sonata, I believe we got a cheap one from Walmart or Autozone. Colors sort of match too...slides some from side to side, but not too bad...it's a very minimal slide not hindering steering.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,597 Posts
Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor

IMO Wheelskins are the best covers you can get.

On the 2.0 Sport "D" shaped flat bottom wheel I find the top of the wheel to narrow and the bottom and sides with the thumb rests are ok. Wheelskins will custom a cover for the "D" wheel.

I ended up with a $8 latex universal textured cover ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Soft...872939&hash=item211b99f450:g:D0sAAOSwA3dYP467 ) stretched over my wheel and it gives it a little more diameter and a lot more grip, but it is not as nice or custom as a lace on cover. i like the feel of the wheel much better now and it does work with a "D" flat bottom shaped wheel

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I've had a Wheelskin on my '08 Accent since 2009. I love it. I don't take any extra care of it and it's still in good shape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a cheap stitch-on from ebay (just long round straight fake leather), which worked pretty well. But was getting tired of the add-on look, and found one at AliExpress: search for mewant steering wheel cover.

I was a bit skeptical, so got the artificial leather to try since it was cheaper ($20+) than leather ($40+). This thing fits like a glove, and looks very professional. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely get the real leather version, although what I have works fine, and looks fantastic.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I installed a cheap one on my 2018.

Easy on. However the "D" section on the bottom of the wheel causes the cover to "slip" and not stay centered. I then installed two plastic wire ties to pull up the cover in the "D" section. Works great.

When I first installed, I WRONGLY thought that it would affect the "keep ha dad on Steering wheel" message. Yes, the message still can come up, but after learning on this forum, it's not holding g the steering wheel that causes the message to disappear, it is steering wheel MOVEMENT that causes the message to disappear.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,597 Posts
I installed a cheap one on my 2018.

Easy on. However the "D" section on the bottom of the wheel causes the cover to "slip" and not stay centered. I then installed two plastic wire ties to pull up the cover in the "D" section. Works great.

When I first installed, I WRONGLY thought that it would affect the "keep ha dad on Steering wheel" message. Yes, the message still can come up, but after learning on this forum, it's not holding g the steering wheel that causes the message to disappear, it is steering wheel MOVEMENT that causes the message to disappear.
I had the same problem on my "D" shaped wheel. Wheelskins makes a custom leather cover for the "D" flat bottom wheel for $ 69.00.

But I went cheap and got this silicone cover from EBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Slip-...14810939?epid=28008290006&hash=item41d31daa3b
For $7 it fits tightly all around the wheel because it just stretches on and has a good texture to ot. For me I wanted the top portion of the wheel to be a little larger diameter and this did it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts