Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an aftermarket steering wheel cover for our new Elantra GLS. Bought one at Target, but it's too big, and the Elantra steering wheel seems pretty small. Has anyone found one that fits this wheel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Measure your steering wheel, and look on eBay. I bought a nice one which required me to hand stitch, looks very OEM for $4.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You should have no problem locating the proper size. I got one from Walmart that fit which is now on my company truck. For my Elantra I got The Grip from Pilot. It's slightly more costly but is great.

pics of it installed
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1038157-post11.html

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Are you guys concerned that the rubber inside these covers will damage the leather on your wheel? I had one on my wife's Intrepid, and when we removed it, it had pretty much destroyed the factory leather. Must have had some chemical or other on it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Are you guys concerned that the rubber inside these covers will damage the leather on your wheel? I had one on my wife's Intrepid, and when we removed it, it had pretty much destroyed the factory leather. Must have had some chemical or other on it.
Doing some intensive interior cleaning, I removed mines a few times and so far no damage. When time comes to trade, I plan to either leave it on or replace it. As for The Grip, it's so well made, I bet it'll outlive the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
The closest I found in Pilot Automotive was Soft Grip, is that the cover you are refering to?
Hey Old_Motorhead. Per the Amazon link, looks like it should be Pilot part/model number SW-101.

I think I'm gonna get one too. Although the car's steering wheel is leather-wrapped, it's still as hard as plastic. So I'm gonna get the cover to soften it up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should have no problem locating the proper size. I got one from Walmart that fit which is now on my company truck. For my Elantra I got The Grip from Pilot. It's slightly more costly but is great.

pics of it installed
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1038157-post11.html
I take it that, although that Pilot cover isn't stitched in place and also doesn't cover the inside of the wheel, there's no issues with it slipping?

How does it feel and, by your opinion, not too bulky?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The closest I found in Pilot Automotive was Soft Grip, is that the cover you are refering to?
Hey Old_Motorhead. Per the Amazon link, looks like it should be Pilot part/model number SW-101.

I think I'm gonna get one too. Although the car's steering wheel is leather-wrapped, it's still as hard as plastic. So I'm gonna get the cover to soften it up.
Yes, that's the one.

I take it that, although that Pilot cover isn't stitched in place and also doesn't cover the inside of the wheel, there's no issues with it slipping?

How does it feel and, by your opinion, not too bulky?
After a month or so of driving it does shift slightly, maybe .5" or so. As for it slipping while driving say aggressively, doesn't happen.

At first it did feel more bulky but quickly got used to it. Too me the stock wheel felt too small and actually hurt my hands. This cover is made of top quality leather, very similar to those found on wallets or purses. Nice soft cushiony feel but loads of grip.

Amazon has the sw-101 for $15.45 with free shipping right now, just ordered one.
You'll be pleased. Worth every cent.

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
Anyone ever try ordering this wheel wrap for our E's? I like the design of it the best but not sure if it is something that will last and be good for daily use.
1. Make sure any accessory controls on the steering wheel spokes will not be obstructed by installing this over your leather wrapped wheel.
2. It will protect your original leather-wrapped wheel. At $26.50, you have to decide if it's worth it. Like anything else, longevity is based on material quality, care, wear, and abuse.
3. You will need to take your time with the install process. READ THE DIRECTIONS! :thumbsup: Afterwards, you can apply for a job stitching baseballs for a living. :wink2:

·
Registered
772 Posts
1. Make sure any accessory controls on the steering wheel spokes will not be obstructed by installing this over your leather wrapped wheel.
2. It will protect your original leather-wrapped wheel. At $26.50, you have to decide if it's worth it. Like anything else, longevity is based on material quality, care, wear, and abuse.
3. You will need to take your time with the stitching process. Afterwards, you can apply for a job stitching baseballs for a living.
I actually have an SE, so im with a rubber/plastic(?) steering wheel that I'm not enjoying too much. :p

·
22,793 Posts
Even the cheap Chinese wrappers from Ebay work and last...
And there we have it, a testimonial from Mister Frugal! And that's perfectly acceptable!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts