Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The proper way is to remove the steering wheel. Just watch-out for that air bag. Pull the negative battery terminal, enjoy the beverage you have. Complete the repairs, putting all connectors back properly, B4 reattaching the battery terminal. (A disconnected air bag will set an alarm in the SRS system, when power is applied.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You can do them without removing the steering wheel but you will hate yourself for all the struggle.

Follow steps to remove steering wheel, pull out those switches/buttons then pull out the trim. The tabs that hold them in place on the outer part of the steering wheel(not the button side) break off easy and get stuck in the slots in the steering wheel so get ready with some small flat-head screw drivers and needle nose pliers. Put in the new trim pieces then the buttons and reassemble. I had no airbag issues at all. Don't forget to mark the spot on the steering wheel and the spindle so when you put it back your steering wheel is straight :). Took about an hour when I was taking my time.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...I will be removing the wheel when we get enough warmth in this area of the frozen tundra. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Dealer replaced mine under warranty when the paint chipped/rubbed off. New ones seem to be a hint different in color. If they rub off again, I'll just paint them myself.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer replaced mine under warranty when the paint chipped/rubbed off. New ones seem to be a hint different in color. If they rub off again, I'll just paint them myself.
I was thinking of removing all the paint...it would be shiny black then. No paint to wear off! :whistling:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
They kinda PIA to replace,, then with steering wheel age (exposure to high cabin heat and cold cycles) the new trims may not fit cleanly to deformed steering wheel material, and setting switches in slots is fun too

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
They kinda PIA to replace,, then with steering wheel age (exposure to high cabin heat and cold cycles) the new trims may not fit cleanly to deformed steering wheel material, and setting switches in slots is fun too
I second this, I had to modify them so they would rest flush like the original ones do. a little grinding to remove material off the retention tabs did the trick.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally took a light solvent and got all the gray paint off...it's black plastic underneath and is a good contrast to the rest of the wheel! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally took a light solvent and got all the gray paint off...it's black plastic underneath and is a good contrast to the rest of the wheel! ?
Hi Darren! I see it's been a while since this thread was updated. Can you tell me what kind of "light solvent" you used for this project? Any other input would be appreciated. My daughter just got a used 2012 Sonata, and the beige bezels are a mess. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Hi Darren! I see it's been a while since this thread was updated. Can you tell me what kind of "light solvent" you used for this project? Any other input would be appreciated. My daughter just got a used 2012 Sonata, and the beige bezels are a mess. Thank you!
When I did my wifes before turning it in for trade I uses 0000 Steel wool on the bezels. Pulled the color right off and didnt require chemicals.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I used carb cleaner, and by light I mean a little at a time on a rag. It will eat the plastic if you're not careful...and make sure there is adequate ventilation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts