Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found MANY steering wheel audio remote threads but none for a 2010 GLS.

I want to know if anyone has done this on a 2010 GLS Sonata with stock head unit with XM.

I have 4 button cruise on the right, and a blank insert on the left, but it looks like the cutout is there, just with a filler on the left of the wheel.

Is the wiring harness there? Is it wired for 4 or 6 button remote?

I'm also wondering if the overhead Bluetooth device is just self contained or does it pump audio through the stereo?

Thank you very much!
Epikos

PS: Had my sonata since Feb, been on 3 road trips and I LOVE THIS CAR!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing... would love to do this, but not brave enough to drop the money and mess around near the airbag without some knowledge. I tried calling my local dealership and they said they didn't know either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly where I'm at. Don't wanna open it up and mess around the airbag without knowing it's doable.
Though, I did read in several places that there's minimal risk of deploying the airbag if you avoid messing with the yellow wire. Apparently its plenty log to move the airbag out of the way without coming close to needing to disconnect it.
Still don't wanna try it though.

I also found that the bluetooth unit is self contained and does not run audio through the stereo.

I'd love to find someone who has done this on our model year car. It'd be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How can your airbag deploy if you disconnect the negative battery lead first? It's how a tech would do the job and it's how I did it on my 2006. Yes, this aspect of the job would also apply to your 2010. The fact that you're apprehensive about "messing" with it makes me wonder if the job's beyond your skills.

No battery=no risk of airbag deployment.

IIRC, there was a thread here with a 2007 (8?) owner with the same filler on the left. The dealer told him there's no connection in the "clock spring" for the audio remote. By extrapolation, your 2010 wouldn't have the connection, either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (epikos @ Aug 10 2010, 04:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348365
I've found MANY steering wheel audio remote threads but none for a 2010 GLS.

I want to know if anyone has done this on a 2010 GLS Sonata with stock head unit with XM.

I have 4 button cruise on the right, and a blank insert on the left, but it looks like the cutout is there, just with a filler on the left of the wheel.

Is the wiring harness there? Is it wired for 4 or 6 button remote?

I'm also wondering if the overhead Bluetooth device is just self contained or does it pump audio through the stereo?

Thank you very much!
Epikos

PS: Had my sonata since Feb, been on 3 road trips and I LOVE THIS CAR!

UPDATES:
I think some ppl here at hyundai-forums actually upgraded to Radio Remote Control on steering wheel (not shure if for 2010 or other model) but I cant find the post. Looks like you need the remote buttons and maybe some wires from a few websites at a very decent price. I'll research more and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Meanwhile I bought a 2010 Sonata GLS...without radio remote...

I tried to do the same on my 09 Sonata GLS and a guy from a dealership I spoke with was thinking to do the same on his 09 Sonata GLS but in order to do that you need to change the Head Unit because the GLS stereo head unit ARE NOT designed for remote control...the unit just DOESN'T have the connector on the back to run the wire to your steering wheel...thats what the guy said.

He also said that beside buying a new unit that have the remote control connector on the back you need also the right type of cable because the stock cable doesn't have all the wires you need.

Another thing he said is to replace the CLOCK SPRING because the stock version doesn't have all the wires (same story like the cable), otherwise you cannot connect the remote buttons with the remote cable....everything goes through the Clock Spring. The clock spring basically connects your remote cable from the head unit with the steering wheel controls.

The guy seems to be honest (he worked at the warehouse) and after some research I have the tendency to believe him. If you really wanna do it it will cost you more than adding the option before buying the car.

Meanwhile I totaled my car (today) with the help of a black BMW. The guy hit me from rear right and send me spinning on a highway guard raid and then run. My next car will be a Sonata with audio controls on the steering wheel. I'm thinking to sell my stock stereo head unit because I cannot transfer the XM Satellite Radio license to another head unit (just my guess). My car came with XM working and I enjoyed alot on long trips. The funny thing is that I have no idea when the license expire...the previous owner paid in advance for many months...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just installed the 6 button remote to my 09 GLS, it did not have any radio remote.
The procedure is very much the same as Joe K and Nate 704's write up from this link:
http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/misc.htm

The switch cost me $43.00 I didn't buy the harness. I did have a 4 button remote from my 06 GLS, also changed to 6, and I used the wires/connectors from that to do my hook up.
I got the switch from here:
http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=2292
The switch does not have the chrome trim to match the cruise control switch, but I'll live with that.
I really missed having the audio controls and I wasn't sure I could but I can.

The clockspring must have all the wires, because mine works great. It even takes the radio presets, not just search up/down like the 06 did.

Here are a couple threads, that unfortunately I didn't find until after I did my change, that really simplify the process:
Look at Smoorman's posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...remote&st=0
and:
Ken99287 and SonataRobbie, break it down also
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...amp;hl=ken99287

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey were do I get the wiring harness from as mine doesn't have a remote on the left side? Is there a part number for it?
I already have a 6 button remote with chrome trim in hand.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
For those looking add the steering wheel audio control to the 2010 NF, I just completed the mod. I have a 2010 GLS, that came with no factory steering wheel controls, but just the blank filler.

Contrary to many dealers, all the wiring exists from the clockspring to the radio. The PA710S works fine with the new remote. In my case, I bought the factory control from the dealer (Hyundai Part No. 96710-3K605-4N), charcoal (brown) with 6 buttons and chrome trim. I had a connector in my junk box that had wires pinned with female connectors. I used 2 of the pinned wires to splice into the illumination wires for the cruise control. I then used 4 pinned wires (soldered together) to make 2 wires with a female pin on each end. Then I pushed the female pins from one side into the clockspring connector. I covered the remaining wires with shrink tubing, and plugged them into my new audio control. the result looks just like the post:

http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/stee..._conversion.pdf

Once I finished, all the functions work fine. My only regret...no Pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (Nismo06 @ Feb 12 2011, 05:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=401587
For those looking add the steering wheel audio control to the 2010 NF, I just completed the mod. I have a 2010 GLS, that came with no factory steering wheel controls, but just the blank filler.

Contrary to many dealers, all the wiring exists from the clockspring to the radio. The PA710S works fine with the new remote. In my case, I bought the factory control from the dealer (Hyundai Part No. 96710-3K605-4N), charcoal (brown) with 6 buttons and chrome trim. I had a connector in my junk box that had wires pinned with female connectors. I used 2 of the pinned wires to splice into the illumination wires for the cruise control. I then used 4 pinned wires (soldered together) to make 2 wires with a female pin on each end. Then I pushed the female pins from one side into the clockspring connector. I covered the remaining wires with shrink tubing, and plugged them into my new audio control. the result looks just like the post:

http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/stee..._conversion.pdf

Once I finished, all the functions work fine. My only regret...no Pics.
This is great info. Can you take a picture of the connector you used (or find a stock photo of something similar)? Would it be possible just to solder the connections? Is the 6button part the only part that you bought? How long did it take you and how did you know which wires went where?

Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
As I said in the earlier post, this is on the 2010 NF GLS, base model with standard audio. Everything exists except for the connections for illumination and from the new control to the clockspring.

I just purchased the 6 button control. You need to splice into the connections to the cruise control for illumination power--these need to be soldered and covered with high quality electrical tape where they tap into the cruise harness. The other end needs to have female pins that can plug onto the audio control male pins.

The connections from the audio control to the clockspring need to be added. There are no female pins in the clockspring connector to solder to....these connections need to be created--female pin to female pin. One side inserts into the clockspring connector, the other side plugs onto the male audio control pins.

SonataRobbie's wiring diagram is 100% accurate, and that was my reference for this mod. I probably won't have the time to take pics until perhaps this weekend, but I will try to take some to help explain what I did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was doing a search for this to do for mine. I found someone mentioned the wire harness part number as 56991-3k112 and the buttons as 96710-3k605-(Trim). You'll find your trim ID on the pillar on the front door.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The part number for the control is correct for 09/10. You will struggle to find a wire harness, however, as the wire harness is only available with the steering wheel assembly. That part number is meaningless in the Hyundai system--I spent alot of time with my local dealer parts guy searching for this. I should also note that the 09/10 Cruise control connector is a single inline row of pins (maybe the same connector body as audio side), so earlier (06-08) harnesses are not plug and play.

Given all the options, I decided to craft my own.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
+1; I was one of the first to do mine here in '06 or early '07. I managed to find a harness and spliced-n-soldered the wires. If I had it to do again, I'd craft my own just like the .pdf says.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Using this information I felt confident enough to try this upgrade myself over the weekend. It was a success. I have a 2010 GL 2.4 that had the blank filler on the steering wheel so I had to manufacture the wiring harness between the clock spring connector and the audio controls. I have a bit different box o' parts than the pdf listed above so I used a computer cd-drive audio cable to connect to the audio controls.

I took this cable, cut it in half and used one connector for the LED lighting (red/black) and one for the signal (grey/green). I cut the connector in half to use only two of the 4 pins.

For the clock spring side signal connector I had to add a connector into the two empty pin slots. I pulled apart an old serial cable I had and re-used a couple of pins. Solder your wire onto the pin and push it as far down into the white connector as you can.

The controls work great and the install took about 90 minutes. Probably could be done quicker but it took me a while to find the various parts to re-purpose. Hopefully this information can helps someone else save some time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just completed this same mod using the above information on a 2009 Sonata GLS. I was able to get my hands on the audio controls plus wiring harness from Korea. I had to slightly modify the harness on the cruise control side, as it was missing one wire altogether. I just removed a wire from the old loom and added it to the new one. Two wires were also misplaced, and so I had to rearrange those as well. Despite that, it was still very nice getting my hands on a pre-manufactured loom.

Everything fit in great and worked perfectly. No change to spring clock necessary. It was essentially a plug and play for me. Guess the control + harness was a good find!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts