Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that others have mentioned this in another topic, but....after one month I have not "adjusted" to the steering on my Limited.
At slow speeds, it's fine.
At highway speeds, one 1/4" movement of the wheel will result in moving across 2 lanes of traffic.

Called my dealer's service writer today, asked if there was anything that could be done.
"First I've heard of it. Can't do anything. That's just the way it is."

Is there a way to report this to Hyundai USA?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hate to sound sarcastic, but you turned steering wheel 1 direction and it went that direction,, then you turn steering wheel the other direction, and it went that direction, what is the concern?

If I turned steering wheel left and car went right, I would be a bit concerned then :thumbsup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 5 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319833
Hate to sound sarcastic, but you turned steering wheel 1 direction and it went that direction,, then you turn steering wheel the other direction, and it went that direction, what is the concern?

If I turned steering wheel left and car went right, I would be a bit concerned then :thumbsup:
I think what he was referring to is the slight nudge of the wheel and the car steers as if you are making a full steer. If you niudge the steering wheel 1 degree to the left or right the car steers as if you are making a 15 degree turn (this is just an example).

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 5 2010, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319833

The Sonata has electric steering, which is in contrast to hydraulic/mechnical steering like many other cars have. If the Sonata is your first experience with a car with electric steering, the difference can be jarring to some people.

Ive read some comments in magazine/online reviews where people have commented that the calibration of the steering in the Sonata is not as good as it could be and often comes off as twitchy. Even cars from luxury companies that have had more experience with electric steering still require a little bit of getting used to.

You would think that some type of firmware upgrade to the ECM could adjust the steering since nothing is mechanical. Hyundai seems to be pretty good at reacting to customer complaints, so maybe one day there will be a TSB to address thsi issue.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Lilalleykatt @ May 5 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319831
The Sonata is shipped from Montgomery with well over 40 lbs in the tires. I lowered the the tire pressure to 35 lbs and it is ALMOST tolerable but still very twitchy.
Put your tires at or near the suggested pressure. My suggested is 33lbs. Mine are now at 34. (They were at 38) Much improved steering response.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the tire pressure when I first got it, but will check again....but it appears that I am not the only one with this complaint.
As others have already stated, reviews of this car have mentioned this same complaint...and it's mentioned a couple more times in another topic on this same board.

Again, is there any way to make a report/complaint/concern to Hyundai USA?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I noticed the uber-sensitive steering in the GLS / Limited Models... then I drove the SE and what a world of difference. It has bigger tires, but I cant imagine tires made that big of a difference. I think there must be a difference in either the programming for SE or the steering box itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When we were looking at the malibu I noticed the steering being twitchy and did some searching on line and found that it was adjustable through the ECU. Don't ask your dealer or their mechanics, they are usually the last to know. I would start with the companies that can tune hyundais stock computers if there are any. Maybe someone with more time than me can search the web for possible ways to get into the factory ECU to adjust it. If it's electric then the parameters are set and controlled in there somewhere.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Electric steering has nothing to do with it.. the car is still equipped with std 30+ yr old style rack & pinion steering.

The "electric" part is for steering assist, just like recent times of past we used a belt driven hydraulic pump for assist (power steering) to make turning the steering wheel somewhat effortless against weight of vehicle on the suspension.

Many things will play into how the car steers, tires, how tight or loose the align is, gear ratio of the rack & pinion

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 5 2010, 01:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319901
Electric steering has nothing to do with it.. the car is still equipped with std 30+ yr old style rack & pinion steering.

The "electric" part is for steering assist, just like recent times of past we used a belt driven hydraulic pump for assist (power steering) to make turning the steering wheel somewhat effortless against weight of vehicle on the suspension.

Many things will play into how the car steers, tires, how tight or loose the align is, gear ratio of the rack & pinion
So couldn't we just get the assit dialed down a little?

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (vestule @ May 5 2010, 03:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319892
I noticed the uber-sensitive steering in the GLS / Limited Models... then I drove the SE and what a world of difference. It has bigger tires, but I cant imagine tires made that big of a difference. I think there must be a difference in either the programming for SE or the steering box itself.
Are you saying that SE steering seems to be better than GLS/Limited?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
no adjustment applicable that I know of,,, The Elantra been using TRW system since 2007, only natural they start putting it on other chassis, no more P/S belt, no hydaulic pump robbing engine power, no P/S hoses and oil to leak out and make EPA mad.

Draw back is the electric motor/module/upper steering column assembly is around $1500 I think.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm recalling someone's post from a while back, where he said that he had the dealer re-program the steering in his Limited to be the same as the SE's...I don't remember the thread.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 5 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319909
Are you saying that SE steering seems to be better than GLS/Limited?
Yes, I believe the feel of the car / steering is better in the SE (my opinion)

But I am not badmouthing the GLS or Limited models - I like the limited's options, but no dual exhaust and price point made the decision for me to buy an SE.

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (vestule @ May 5 2010, 04:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319927
Yes, I believe the feel of the car / steering is better in the SE (my opinion)

But I am not badmouthing the GLS or Limited models - I like the limited's options, but no dual exhaust and price point made the decision for me to buy an SE.
I agree. I drove both a Limited and an SE over familiar roads and liked the steering "feel" and response of the SE better than the Limited's. I have no idea what is responsible for the difference but there is a noticable difference, at least to me.

Don

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ May 5 2010, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319968
i drove both and i ended up buying the Se because the steering felt much better. The SE steering is tuned differently
Maybe one of the forumites that are in business with Hyundai can check that for us. I also would be interested to get the SE's profile into the steering brains on my Limited - if different that is.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 5 2010, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319985
Maybe one of the forumites that are in business with Hyundai can check that for us. I also would be interested to get the SE's profile into the steering brains on my Limited - if different that is.
Yeah, I would be REALLY interested in reprogramming the steering to SE on my GLS if it's possible.... can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
In many of the review I see for the SE it states "sport tuned suspension and steering"

Here is one article which talks about it: <a href="http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/news/2146309,hyundai-sonata-040710.article" target="_blank">http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/ne...-040710.article</a>

"The SE is even better, though the ride can feel a bit stiff. It features firmer springs and shocks front and rear, a thicker rear stabilizer bar, steering tuned for more effort and lower-profile 18-inch tires. Those changes make the SE more planted in turns and more willing to change directions." So, if this is correct it will be less sensitive

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.